• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wives and hyphenated names/keeping their daddy's name

My wife changed her last name, and is FirstName MaidenName LastName.

I thought the practice was almost universal until my brother got married. His wife has not changed her name in the intervening three years. I've asked my brother about it and he says that she values her Italian heritage and wants to keep her last name for that purpose. Seems bogus to me; she's no more Italian than most of the population of Central NJ.

Yeh, i dunno, my last name is very unique (7 total in the US including my parents if we're going by the switchboard website thing) and sadly it'll be gone after me. Unfortunately, it would also make a TERRIBLE middle name. I guess im still up in the air on what ill do when i get married. Prob take my hubands name, but itll be a sad day...

I thought the practice was almost universal until my brother got married. His wife has not changed her name in the intervening three years. I've asked my brother about it and he says that she values her Italian heritage and wants to keep her last name for that purpose. Seems bogus to me; she's no more Italian than most of the population of Central NJ.

You always crack me up Tarboro.

anything beyond 2nd generation people who are proud of their "heritage" are so fucking annoying.

my wife was born in england and is an english subject but moved here at age 6 so she lost her accent and people will tell her "oh yeah, I'm english too" just because some ancestor from 150 years ago came from england. "Irish" and "Italian" people are the worst violators of this in my experience.

Your brother is married to awakegirl?

anything beyond 2nd generation people who are proud of their "heritage" are so fucking annoying.

my wife was born in england and is an english subject but moved here at age 6 so she lost her accent and people will tell her "oh yeah, I'm english too" just because some ancestor from 150 years ago came from england. "Irish" and "Italian" people are the worst violators of this in my experience.

I understand your point, but I think you're missing the fact that when the Irish and Italians immigrated here they were forced to live in Irish and Italian neighborhoods since the WASPs didn't like our kind. I think living in those neighborhoods really ingrained a lot of the culture that would have otherwise died out. Not to mention the influence of the Catholic Church on both groups.

My family has only been here since the 1920s. Half of my grandfather's siblings were born in Ireland and half in the US.

True that, double true. (Although I've only got one published article, and I'm only second author)

If I was going on for a PhD I was probably going to go by my name now in my professional life and HTTDs in my personal life.

I'm published under my maiden name and married name. I have seen the "personal" and "professional" name thing get messed up so often that I just decided to make it clear on my CV what my maiden name was (and bold my name in all pubs/presentations) to make it clear those were my publications and honestly since they were from high school and undergrad, I don't find it a big deal if they don't come up on a search for me, especially since I can put them on a research website.

For me, my first name is 8 letters, my maiden was 9 (and a name I was happy to give up and would never saddle kids with) and my married is 10, so there was no way I was keeping both. The way it worked out, I got to keep my initials.

My middle name is my mom's maiden name.

And it is actually a semi-common boy's name (Bryan).

Definitely don't want the hyphened thing for me or my family.

Last edited:
I'm not changing my last name. Fiancé could care less. Kids will have his name.

Ha I like this chick. Most Italians value their heritage. You aren't linked to yours, that sorry. Deal w it.
i_spit_hot_fire.jpg

Y'all really need to go to a good grad school so they dont have to be Wake fans.

That's our problem. We have Hoos, Heels, War Eagles and Crimson Tide. The only thing we agree on is Wake. That's like wanting to adopt the same beaten dog at the shelter.

Mom did the firstname maidenname hislastname thing. I'm probably going to have four, but go by mainly firstname middlename hislastname. The only reason I want to keep my maiden name is that without it, my initials will be KOU and for some reason I have an issue with that.

Only keeping my middle name because it is my Grandmother's middle name/the name she goes by and she has asked that I keep it and I have agreed. Just means a lot to her, my mom, and myself.

Back