• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

WMDs found in Iraq?

Really? I'm not sure I understand.

i don't think the Joint Chiefs are going to the pres. advocating combat for combat's sake. I think if they're ask for recommendations it's to use force as much as is necessary to accomplish the task given. I don't think that's the same thing as GOP congressmen and senators calling Obama a pussy and saying we should bomb everyone.

Really? I'm not sure I understand.

I'd argue that most of our military leaders in the last century (Eisenhower and MacArthur come to mind) have been openly reluctant about having to enter armed conflict. Military officers never enjoy the prospects of having to see those they are charged to command die in battle. However, once we are in a state of war, their job is to prosecute the war to achieve total victory in as short a time frame as possible, and you may perceive that to mean they are hell bent on advocating war.

Continuing with my ignorance, when GWB declared war, was there a common belief that there were no WMD's in Iraq? If so, was that belief based off the searches that had been done after the Gulf War?

I don't blame the generals, I just like that line from War Pigs.

I blame the minds behind the policy.

1996 - OBL issues a fatwa to drive the United States from Saudi Arabia. He gave a direct interview declaring war on the United States that was broadcast on ABC News. We ignored him.
June 1996 - Al-Q detonates a bomb outside American barracks in Khobar Towers, Saudi. 19 Americans died, 372 were injured. We ignored it.
August 1998 - Two American embassies were bombed, killing hundreds. We ignored it.
October 2000 - Al-Q bombs the U.S.S. Cole. 17 Americans die and 39 more are injured. We ignored it.

After September 11th, President Bush made the decision that America could no longer afford to ignore threats. So did Congress.

OBL and Al-Q are not states who possess chem weapons. We have never been attacked by a state possessing chem weapons.

Continuing with my ignorance, when GWB declared war, was there a common belief that there were no WMD's in Iraq? If so, was that belief based off the searches that had been done after the Gulf War?

The inspectors were there up until the last minute IIRC, and had found nothing.

1996 - OBL issues a fatwa to drive the United States from Saudi Arabia. He gave a direct interview declaring war on the United States that was broadcast on ABC News. We ignored him.
June 1996 - Al-Q detonates a bomb outside American barracks in Khobar Towers, Saudi. 19 Americans died, 372 were injured. We ignored it.
August 1998 - Two American embassies were bombed, killing hundreds. We ignored it.
October 2000 - Al-Q bombs the U.S.S. Cole. 17 Americans die and 39 more are injured. We ignored it.

After September 11th, President Bush made the decision that America could no longer afford to ignore threats. So did Congress.

October 2000 - September 11th, 2001
Bush effectively ignores the terrorism threat.

Reactions: ONW

Jeez, this is such gullible horseshit. Iraq was never a credible threat, and everyone knew it. The guy was boxed in like a lemming. He couldn't do jack shit.

Jeez, this is such gullible horseshit. Iraq was never a credible threat, and everyone knew it. The guy was boxed in like a lemming. He couldn't do jack shit.

So why did Congress approve it?

P.S. Remember when the President asked the Congress before going to War? Good times.

those Navy geeds can't even defend their own ship from a raft. you don't see the USAF having their planes damaged by ISIS kites.

Rick Perry sucks as combatting terrorism, too. The Governor of Texas continues to let the Nation down.

Should have put January 2001-9/11/01 to avoid the inevitable petty semantics you would try to argue.

So why did Congress approve it?

P.S. Remember when the President asked the Congress before going to War? Good times.

cause congress sucks the same dick$ the POTUS does. Fuck congress. This isn't even political for me, I don't give a rat's what side you are on.

cause congress sucks the same dick$ the POTUS does. Fuck congress. This isn't even political for me, I don't give a rat's what side you are on.
This is where we split off (I think) I don't believe that all of congress conspired to start a war under false pretenses, and I don't believe they were tricked into it either.

Because was lied to in the NIE and then W's cabal told every lie they could to scare the public.

This is where we split off (I think) I don't believe that all of congress conspired to start a war under false pretenses, and I don't believe they were tricked into it either.

I guess we do. At the time, if you voted against that war you were as good as done. They were all swept into the same maelstrom. It was happening. The public was ginned up on WMD and 9-11 fears.

Back