• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wolf of Wall Street

I loved the movie, but I'm probably the exact demographic that would.

What did you guys think?

Probably worth watching just for the scenes with Margot Robbie

zaPTk4ufslml.jpg

She is the perfect woman
http://ftw.usatoday.com/2014/01/wol...-is-an-amateur-hockey-player-and-rangers-fan/

this is my biggest prob with the movie. the dude swindled tons of money for peeps and ruined countless lives, and then they make a movie about him that he profits off of.

that said, i'm still going to see it, but i'll just pirate it as a form of defiance (slash would much rather be able to watch on my tv where i can pause and go pee).

That's kind of the whole point though. That a majority of financial criminals never got more than a slap on the wrist (Casstevens cough cough). They even allude to how he lived a privileged life when he was in prison.

The truth hurts.

She was absolutely the hottest thing on the big screen since the glory days of Sharon Stone.

I didn't think the movie was all that funny, I actually was pretty much horrified at most of the antics. Not because the antics were all that shocking to me at all, it was more like I was thinking "these bastards are total scumbuckets."

Marty has lost his fastball. At least in his previous movies I've always felt sympathy towards the main characters, I felt nothing towards Leo or Jonah's characters. Leo is a helluva actor, amazing that Gilbert Grape has come this far.

That's kind of the whole point though. That a majority of financial criminals never got more than a slap on the wrist (Casstevens cough cough). They even allude to how he lived a privileged life when he was in prison.

The truth hurts.

so they reward the guy? i don't think that's the point. i think the point is to make an entertaining movie.

amazing that Gilbert Grape has come this far.

Did he get a bad rap for that movie? I remember my mother seeing Titanic in theaters and having trouble believing he wasn't actually mentally handicapped.

so they reward the guy? i don't think that's the point. i think the point is to make an entertaining movie.

Check out the Grantland Hollywood Prospectus podcast about it if you have time. I think they do a good job of analyzing all the stuff involved.

Ironically enough my brain is still dead from my actions in Nawlins this past weekend. So I'm not even going to attempt to paraphrase some of their arguments.

The books rewarded him first.

It was probably 5 years ago, but I remember feeling gross reading everything past the first couple of pages knowing he was profiting further from my purchase.

The people who excuse the movie because he is legally obligated to pay compensatory damages need to remember why he's famous in the first place.

She was absolutely the hottest thing on the big screen since the glory days of Sharon Stone.

I didn't think the movie was all that funny, I actually was pretty much horrified at most of the antics. Not because the antics were all that shocking to me at all, it was more like I was thinking "these bastards are total scumbuckets."

Marty has lost his fastball. At least in his previous movies I've always felt sympathy towards the main characters, I felt nothing towards Leo or Jonah's characters. Leo is a helluva actor, amazing that Gilbert Grape has come this far.

That's the big debate with the movie. Are you supposed to feel sympathy for these unbelievably corrupt guys? The main complaint I've heard is that the movie makes a farce out of this situation, to the degree where it's not even clear if Marty is condemning them. The last shot suggests that Marty is laying the blame at the feet of the audience (the people who are attending Belfort's speech, the very people who were swindled by him and his ilk now learning the methods) i.e. the audience laughing their asses off at the at the shenanigans of a couple monsters. Is he saying that it's a vicious cycle, the "American Dream" is a sham, or is he simply turning all of this into a slapstick comedy devoid of any social commentary. Both are valid viewpoints. It's an interesting movie, but Marty's bite isn't as sharp as it used to be.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This movie is what you think it would be coming in. Not much on story or plot and even plodding at times, but the performances are excellent. 3 hours is a long movie but it doesn't feel that way. Leo is great -- you won't want to miss a second of his dialogue. Jonah showed some surprising acting chops.

Also, the scene from country club to back to Leo's house was absolutely hysterical. I cannot remember ever laughing for 10 minutes straight like that in a movie.

I fucking loved this movie. I always love movies where there are marvelous montages of everything going right and the characters are doing sweet shit. This movie is the pinnacle of enjoying that sort of experience in film. Reason being, and I believe a lot of the reason for its criticism, is that even when things turn bad, or should turn bad, the main characters keep doing sweet shit even when it's to their detriment. They just keep doubling down on the debauchery. And for me, this was like riding the highest of highs for 3 hours. Dig.

Nominated for best:
Picture
Actor
Supporting Actor
Director
Writing (adapted)

The Duchess should have been nominated for best smoking hot body

I actually thought Duchess should have gotten supporting consideration. She's a fine actress, literally and figuratively.

Not to be smug, but most of the time while people were laughing I was not, so I feel a lot better about myself.

I loved this movie too. A lot more than I thought I would going in. The time seemed to fly by and I never felt the 3 hours at all. The country club scene was hilarious.

I really enjoyed this one. Leo was exceptional and the wife might truly be the hottest woman I've ever seen.

I'm not going to lie: this movie made me very curious about ludes.

Has anyone ever tried one?

Back