• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Woodworking Thread

Wrangor

Go Deacs
Reaction score
Cue some incredibly awesome tags.

I am about to enter into the field of amateur woodworking (having a house built and want to not only complete a lot of the trim, but also want to start to make some simple furniture). Need to purchase a table saw and a router table for starters. Would love some advice from any seasoned vets.

Table Saw: Heavily leaning towards getting a sawstop. I know I am overpaying for the technology, but would feel awful if I sliced a finger (or worse if one of my kids got in the shop and sliced a finger) all because I didn't want to pony up an extra $750 (that is what the technology seems to cost) for the saw. Any thoughts?

Router Table: Comparing the Jessem and the Kreg. Really can't decide on this. Prices are fairly similar if I get the bottom level Jessem system vs. Kreg Table + router lift, so I really just want the best table. Thoughts?

I won't be getting started with any projects for a while, but once I do would love to share and also see what projects anyone else might be doing.

I am about to enter into the field of amateur woodworking (having a house built and want to not only complete a lot of the trim, but also want to start to make some simple furniture). Need to purchase a table saw and a router table for starters. Would love some advice from any seasoned vets.

Table Saw: Heavily leaning towards getting a sawstop. I know I am overpaying for the technology, but would feel awful if I sliced a finger (or worse if one of my kids got in the shop and sliced a finger) all because I didn't want to pony up an extra $750 (that is what the technology seems to cost) for the saw. Any thoughts?

Router Table: Comparing the Jessem and the Kreg. Really can't decide on this. Prices are fairly similar if I get the bottom level Jessem system vs. Kreg Table + router lift, so I really just want the best table. Thoughts?

I won't be getting started with any projects for a while, but once I do would love to share and also see what projects anyone else might be doing.

Just be careful when using any power tool.

I don't do much with woodworking, but my father has done trim work, etc. his entire life and I picked up a few things here and there. The sawstop isn't necessary if you know how to use your tools and teach your children about them. Make sure that they are welcome in the woodshop, but understand that the power tools are only for your use. Give them smaller things they can work on like some scraps, a hammer, nails and paint.

I can get some more specific recommendations about brands if you would like, but woodworking isn't like golf. There is much more importance on the skill of the user than the tool itself.

1999 002.jpgcorner cupboard 015 (3).jpg

I have been a pretty serious woodworker for about 20 years, mostly build 18th-Century reproduction furniture (as a hobby, not my main job).

Probably the most important tool in the shop will be your table saw. While I don't have anything against a Sawstop, and I wouldn't mind owning one, I'm not sure it is worth the money. When used properly, using good technique and always being aware of your situation, it is pretty safe. Now, if you're a bonehead and feel it is necessary to put your hands near the blade, then, by all means, spend the extra money. However, if you use push sticks, and keep your hands clear of the blade or avoid situations that will bind the motor and blade, it should be an unnecessary expense. I'd recommend taking that extra money and buy a bigger motor or better fence or a better blade. These are the things that will save you in the end. I have an old heavy cast iron Unisaw with a Unifence. The only thing I would do differently is to get a larger motor (upgrade to the 5 hp).

Regarding a router table, I would recommend getting one that can fit into the extension table of your table saw. That way, you can use the stability of the heavy cabinet to your advantage and not have to pay twice. Other than that, I don't have any specific advice. I have one, but I never use it. I prefer to use the router upright, clamping my piece on the workbench and working from above.

If you're going to do much woodworking, the main tools you'll need (in order of importance to me) are: 1. table saw, 2. jointer (if you don't have good surfaces and square boards, you are going to get into trouble), 3. bandsaw, 4. thickness planer. After that, you'll need a good miter saw, lathe, drill press/mortiser, air compressor, dust collector/air cleaner and belt sander (that I use mainly for sharpening chisels). The router table doesn't make my top 10 list. But, it all depends on what you're planning to do in your shop.

Don't forget good hand tools. If you don't know how to use chisels and hand planes, then you're asking for trouble. If you can do the big stuff on your power tools and finish with hand tools, your work will be much higher quality. Also, learn good joinery. Pocket screws and biscuits may be easy, but they won't last. Learn how to use mortises and tenons and dovetails. Take a class from someone who knows how to teach (I can make a few recommendations if you want).

When you go to find tools, don't be afraid to buy used. There's a lot of good stuff on ebay and Craigslist for a fraction of the price new. Lots of people go out and buy a bunch of expensive equipment and it just sits in the garage unused. When they need cash, they sell off their tools. I'd only buy new as a last resort. I'd avoid most of the stuff coming out of China before the mid 1990's, but since then the quality has improved quite a bit. Old iron tools made in America before the 1990's was top quality. The new stuff is pretty good, but you're going to pay a premium price. Also, pay attention to the type of plug- don't buy a 3-phase saw unless you have a phase converter. Stick with Single-phase so you can you can use your existing outlets. You may want to run a 220 line to your shop for your table saw.

Last edited:
Great thread. I really hope this takes off. I inherited all of my grandfather's tools when he passed away about a year ago. I have a table saw, compound miter saw, bench jointer, bench grinder, router and router table, drill press, mortoise press, bandsaw, and lots of hand tools. I have a lathe and dust collection system, too, but I can't fit everything in my current shop, so I'm keeping that at my dad's for now. I've been doing some easy projects. Replaced some seats in my boat, and made a picture frame using the router table for my wife for our anniversary so far.

I have always wanted to learn to turn wooden bowls on a lathe and have been contemplating buying a lathe and other accessories needed to enable me to learn this art. Anyone out there do this and have my recs for me?

parksandrecreation-ron-swanson-nick-offerman-wood-hair.jpg

You should ask your boss. Rumor has it he's a Jewish carpenter.

I have always wanted to learn to turn wooden bowls on a lathe and have been contemplating buying a lathe and other accessories needed to enable me to learn this art. Anyone out there do this and have my recs for me?

it depends- how big a bowl do you want to turn? Lathes come in many sizes.

Nothing huge...probably mothing much bigger than 12" across

Nothing huge...probably mothing much bigger than 12" across

My advice would to go to a store like Woodworkers Supply and talk to them about what you want to do. If you're near Winston, there's a great store in Graham, NC. Here's a couple that I would recommend:
http://woodworker.com/c-Machinery/lathes/
http://www.grizzly.com/products/category/565000 (they have several stores around the country)

In Winston Salem, there's the Klingspor store near Hanes Mall, though I've never bought any equipment from them. My lathe is a older heavy cast iron full size Delta. It's not as fancy as some of the newer ones, but it does what I need it to and I plan to keep it a long, long time.

With lathes, bigger is generally better. With turning large pieces of wood like bowls, there is a lot of vibration, and the more iron you have, the better it can handle it.

Once you figure out what size you need, be patient and look for deals for something used. I bought mine on ebay from some guy in TN for a few hundred bucks. The equivalent new was over $1000. Also look for government and school auctions- when budgets get cut- one of the first things to go are shop programs.

Last edited:
Just ordered a Leigh B975 box joint and beehive jig. It probably comes to no surprise, I'm going to start making my own woodenware for beekeeping. I've had a router for a few years, both table, and handheld, but haven't used them very much. That should change. I was debating between building them via router or table saw, since I have both, but ultimately went with the router. Smart decision?

Back