• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Woody to Retire

IMO, Woody is one of the very best at his craft......and the most obnoxious

He never tells the score when the goats are losing. He would go through like 4 commerical breaks in basketball without saying a score.

He was pretty good (and extremely obnoxious) but over the past few years listening to him was harder than usual. He NEVER gave enough info. No yardage, downs, time on clock, etc. Way too much commentary and blabbering on and on about players and how awesome the holes are at everything. Lots of weather updates and descriptions of kenan and the dean dome...no info.

He deserves to be in the HOF for his profession, but I am happy that I will be able to find the a hole game on the radio and hopefully get the score and pertinent info and be able to quickly move on.

Montross sucks on the basketball broadcasts. Painful to listen to him.

Seems kind of sudden. Does anyone know if Woody has health issues? Never cared for his announcing but he seems like a decent enough guy.

To the shock of some, Woody delivered a beautiful eulogy at Gene Overby's funeral.

Woody is a fellow mebaneite. I certainly hope that he is not ill. However, while Bob Harris is the biggest homer of all, Woody was a homer in a more haughty way somehow.

But, in terms of skill he was one of the best play-by-play radio guys ever, IMO.

Woody: It's 1st and ten for the Heels at their own 30 yard line. The ball is snapped, Yates gives the ball to Elzy, he makes a move, BURST THROUGH THE LINE, BREAKS A TACKLE, and is finally brought down. And that brings up 2nd and nine for the Heels at their own 31.

My favorite call by Woody. 2001 UNC vs State in football. "Chuck Amato, in his psychedelic sunglasses, is telling the official 'Roughing the kicker!? We did that all game last year against Florida State and you didn't call it!' "

I have had the opportunity to meet Woody a few times over the years and I can honestly say he was, by FAR, the only tar hole I have ever met that seemed like he was actually a nice guy...once you get passed the fact that he is a tar hole.

However, his radio broadcasts were just waaaaay to biased for me...he just refused to EVER say one negative thing about anything tar hole blue, which is not real...it's ridiculous. Vomit worthy. He used to do a good play-by-play and give lots of game info, but he hasn't in the last 10 years.

I do hope he is retiring because he wants to and not because of sickness or some other horrible reason. Hope he gets to enjoy himself, he's certainly put in enough time to deserve some fun and relaxation.

He was pretty good (and extremely obnoxious) but over the past few years listening to him was harder than usual. He NEVER gave enough info. No yardage, downs, time on clock, etc. Way too much commentary and blabbering on and on about players and how awesome the holes are at everything. Lots of weather updates and descriptions of kenan and the dean dome...no info.

He deserves to be in the HOF for his profession, but I am happy that I will be able to find the a hole game on the radio and hopefully get the score and pertinent info and be able to quickly move on.

Montross sucks on the basketball broadcasts. Painful to listen to him.

I agree. Woody was great at one time, but he was unbearable to listen to last 5 years. I didn't listen to him often last few years, but when i did, he wasn't very good. With that said, I wish him well and I recognize he is a true fixture of ACC sports.

I heard he wanted to retire rather that broadcast another [Redacted] game this year.

Perhaps, they'll get his son to take over???

Nah, Wes has already said he's a GT guy and has no interest in following his father at UNC. Plus he does the Atlanta pro sports as well, and has a radio show ... he's pretty entrenched in Atlanta.

Nah, Wes has already said he's a GT guy and has no interest in following his father at UNC. Plus he does the Atlanta pro sports as well, and has a radio show ... he's pretty entrenched in Atlanta.

not to mention he's probably making bank in atlanta compared to what the AD in chapel hill can afford to pay its broadcaster

Back