• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Work for Duke basketball and get paid nothing.

I still think it's a ridiculous system because it excludes people who can't afford to work for free.

It didn't exclude me. I worked two other jobs. My wife worked the only job she could find during the early 90's and we made it work.

It excluded people who didn't have a good base of basketball knowledge and weren't willing to work 90 hours a week (I didn't valet every night). One of the other coaches I worked with did the same thing when he got started. He worked at cracker barrell every morning for breakfast from 4am-11am and then coached from 12-9 every day. It only excludes people who aren't willing to work extra hours to gain the necessary experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How did you have time to be a father?

It didn't exclude me. I worked two other jobs. My wife worked the only job she could find during the early 90's and we made it work.

It excluded people who didn't have a good base of basketball knowledge and weren't willing to work 90 hours a week (I didn't valet every night). One of the other coaches I worked with did the same thing when he got started. He worked at cracker barrell every morning for breakfast from 4am-11am and then coached from 12-9 every day. It only excludes people who aren't willing to work extra hours to gain the necessary experience.

Or, instead of making you do this, the school could pay you $23.5k/year for the tremendous amount of work you gave them. Why is this not the better option?

Or, instead of making you do this, the school could pay you $23.5k/year for the tremendous amount of work you gave them. Why is this not the better option?

Because if they had to pay me 24k they wouldn't have hired me in the first place.

How did you have time to be a father?

I didn't. Breaking into college coaching is not a good move for someone that is or wants to be a father. There are plenty of jobs like that though. I wouldn't recommend attempting attempting to become a navy seal or go through medical school or any number of high workload / less family kind of jobs (those 2 are obviously much more prestigious than coaching but you get the point) unless you and your spouse are completely on the same page and decide that going through that 'season' of life is something you are both committed to doing.

Because if they had to pay me 24k they wouldn't have hired me in the first place.

Maybe, maybe not. They brought you on for free because they could. If that wasn't a legally available option, then who knows whether they would have thought the services you provided were worth 23k.

Maybe, maybe not. They brought you on for free because they could. If that wasn't a legally available option, then who knows whether they would have thought the services you provided were worth 23k.

Back