• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

World Cup Knockout Rounds Thread (USMNT THREAD!) (nwt)

The international competitiveness of hockey hardly compares to soccer, and our reputation at hockey is such that the last time we were the best the world called it a "miracle".
I don't even follow soccer and I know that you're vastly underestimating it's world popularity and competitiveness.

Sure. But I'm not underestimating America.

Notice I'm not over on the country music thread saying I what's wrong with it and how it could be better. Because I don't know much about it. So I don't talk about it. Or the NHL thread. Or any thread in which I'm only casually interested. It is unbelievably pretentious to come in and immediately think you understand a situation, much less a complicated one like international sports.

Sure. But I'm not underestimating America.

I'll try to make an argument on your level, if you were to do statistical research on the topic, you would most likely find that international soccer success very closely correlates with how popular the sport is by % of the native population. Yes, we may have 20 million kids playing soccer right now, but the American culture doesn't influence and nurture those players in the same way that it does in cultures where Soccer is the only major sport, and the national pride of the country is based on success in the sport.

Made the quarters in London.

So we went one round further in WATER POLO (a sport nobody other than small Euro countries play) than the soccer World Cup a sport every country in the world plays?

And that one round makes the difference here?

if ph isnt kicking the ball around with his kids today he's letting america down. just imagine how good AMERICA would be with his hand directly leading our next generation.

Something no one is really talking about is that we got further than the goddamn British. You want to talk about underachieving.

I know it's already been stated but it's a shame 4/5 South American teams finished in same quartet

I don't think it's a lack of effort. Or kids participating. I think lalas made the point earlier, that during peak training years, US soccer players go to college. In Europe they are training everyday for their clubs B teams or loaned out (I learned earlier) to middle to lower tier premier league teams. The focus on training in college, where there are a lot of distractions, the ncaa to control how much you practice, and some coaches that may not be great, vs being able to focus on the sport 24/7 and be trained by the best coaches in the world is a huge difference.

Distance? I criticize what I love and want to succeed. (See Athletics, Wake Forest)

It's sad to watch every four years and see the same issues like lack of possession and ball handling compared to the rest of the world.

That you admittedly watch "every four years," think Belgium isn't a soccer power in this tournament, and reference "ball handling" in a sport where you cannot use your hands is enough evidence to tell the thread you have no fucking idea what you're talking about.

Stick to niche interests like CBS comedies and superhero movies.

I don't understand how anybody can be less than proud of this team.

The future is bright, too. I really hope Jurgen sticks around. A Jozy-Johansson-Green front line could be fucking great, our back line has the potential to be elite with Yedlin and Brooks, and we have some promising youth talent with kids like Hyndman, Gatt, Flores, and MY BOI Kyle Scott.

Played our hearts out. No shame in that. Belgium was the better side, but we still had our shot to win. Absolutely gutted that this part of my trip has ended, but there's no sane soccer fan in the world who wasn't impressed by what we've become. Keep building it. Ignore those who want to keep soccer from becoming what it already has become.

Edit: Just saw this tweet and Wondo is fine in my book. Happens to the best as well.

Last edited:
Back