• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

World Cup Knockout Rounds Thread (USMNT THREAD!) (nwt)

Algeria has looked pretty damn good this WC in the group stages. Fast, skillful players in attack and very organized in defense. I think the Germans win, and probably quite comfortably, but I wouldn't be floored if Algeria took it to ET or won outright. Algeria's front 4 can play.

I think France roll over Nigeria in the first match. Only thing that I can see saving Nigeria from an embarrassing scoreline is Enyeama having another amazing game between the sticks.

This might be a silly question but are they called el Tri because of their flag?

it's a reference to their mascot

80544126_8.jpg

I think people that watch the sport more frequently only get annoyed when these once-every-four-years fans come in saying what the game needs to do to be better and why it sucks in its current state.

It would be as if a person that never watched basketball except for in the Olympics went into a basketball thread and just started talking about all the rules that they thought were stupid and what should be done to fix the game.

Soooo..... Basically bobknightfan

79 year old Uruguayan President Jose Mujica has shaken his fist and called FIFA "a bunch of old sons of bitches" over Luis Suarez's four-month ban.
The former leftist guerrilla had previously said Suarez was being punished by Fifa because of his humble background. No word on why FIFA don't go after Lionel Messi in the same viscous way as Luis Suarez.

In related news, a pot called a kettle black yesterday.

FIFA *could* ban Arjen Robben for the quarterfinal matchup if they so desired since he admitted to diving in the Mexico match.

79 year old Uruguayan President Jose Mujica has shaken his fist and called FIFA "a bunch of old sons of bitches" over Luis Suarez's four-month ban.
The former leftist guerrilla had previously said Suarez was being punished by Fifa because of his humble background. No word on why FIFA don't go after Lionel Messi in the same viscous way as Luis Suarez.

In related news, a pot called a kettle black yesterday.

FIFA hates poor people

FIFA *could* ban Arjen Robben for the quarterfinal matchup if they so desired since he admitted to diving in the Mexico match.

Dutch FA: 'Later today Arjen Robben will make a statement in a press conference after the training of the Netherlands team in Rio'

One factor for Algeria could be that Ramadan has started so I'm sure quite a few of their players will be fasting. Sun will be down by halftime so not as major as it could be.

Germany has a couple Muslim players as well, notably Ozil and Khedira.

One factor for Algeria could be that Ramadan has started so I'm sure quite a few of their players will be fasting. Sun will be down by halftime so not as major as it could be.

Germany has a couple Muslim players as well, notably Ozil and Khedira.

Are Muslims allowed to drink water during Ramadan or are they not supposed to intake any substance from sun up to sun down?

Are Muslims allowed to drink water during Ramadan or are they not supposed to intake any substance from sun up to sun down?

it depends on how they want to do it. some are very devout and abstain for everything, some will do their fasting later if they have activities (like, say, a World Cup match) that would necessitate consumption of food/water.

and apparently the sun will set around 5:30 in Porto Alegre (site of Algeria-Germany), so the players should be able to hydrate in the 2nd half if need be

Suspending him for admitting in jest to something that happens a dozen times a game would be stupid.

Are any of the Nigerian players Muslim?

Yes, Nigeria has a few as do the Swiss(Shaqiri for one) and Belgium(Fellaini, Januzaj and Dembele).

Some delay it and there are allowances I think for water in the case of sport but some are more strict about it than others. With Algeria it's the whole team though.

Don't think I can embed but the below link shows a great angle of the Mexico PK call. Worse than I even imagined.

http://fat.gfycat.com/KnobbyHonestIriomotecat.webm

I am a World Cup Soccer kind of fan (only show up once every 4 years)...full disclaimer. Seems to me that is clearly a foul. Doesn't really matter if he sold it or not, the defender was late and made contact with his foot. It doesn't take a whole lot of contact when running full speed to trip a guy. Once the Dutchman felt the contact he made sure the foul was seen. That isn't flopping. Flopping is when there is no foul, no contact and the person fakes it.

Here is a great example

Back