• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Worst (Overheralded) Cover Songs

My mother-in-law gave us this Linda Ronstadt CD of unironic lullabies.

We watch Cars a lot in our house so the Rascal Flatts Life is a Highway. The Mayer Route 66 kinda sucks too.

Also, Mustang Sally, in all its forms, can fuck right off.

If I ever hear it again that's too soon.
As a married, non swinging person under the the age of 65 that doesn’t own a time share condo in Myrtle Beach, I literally never hear Mustang Sally.

As a married, non swinging person under the the age of 65 that doesn’t own a time share condo in Myrtle Beach, I literally never hear Mustang Sally.
Not sure how swinging a Mustang Sally go together but ok.

Once upon a time I was bar tending. We had an open mic blues night with a live band. Holy shit those hacks all wanted to sing ms. Some sort of right of passage? You need to realize when you are 4th singing the same song you might just stfu.

I'm with you on Mustang Sally, but regarding "swinging" in a musical context, not many tunes swing harder than the Wilson Pickett version does: Roger Hawkins' snare is so far behind the beat, that when it hits on 4, if it came any later it would be in the next bar!

I've played in a venue that (proudly) had a sign over the stage that admonished "NO MUSTANG SALLY".

310836_146908325397157_4140910_n.jpg

You missed Luke comb's version of fast car.
my wife and I had a big discussion about this the other day but a rich white guy doing a cover of "Fast Car" is about the most unintentional hilarious thing ever. Then I read an article where Luke Combs said the song reminded him of being with his Dad in his...truck (sigh). The only thing Luke Combs has in common with the character in that song is that they dropped out of school. Of course, in the song she drops out of high school to take care of her alcoholic father because no one else will while Combs dropped out of college so he could pursue his own dreams of being a country singer. I could go on.....

Not sure how swinging a Mustang Sally go together but ok.

Once upon a time I was bar tending. We had an open mic blues night with a live band. Holy shit those hacks all wanted to sing ms. Some sort of right of passage? You need to realize when you are 4th singing the same song you might just stfu.

Rite

A song that has insidiously crept into jam night infamy is "Last Dance With Mary Jane", and I'm not sure how I feel about it.

It's accessible for guitar players learning their way. Like blues, though, it seems simple, but if you're going to play it right you must understand, appreciate, and apply subtlety and nuance. So, it's harder than it looks.

Good morning from guitar nerddom!

A song that has insidiously crept into jam night infamy is "Last Dance With Mary Jane", and I'm not sure how I feel about it.

It's accessible for guitar players learning their way. Like blues, though, it seems simple, but if you're going to play it right you must understand, appreciate, and apply subtlety and nuance. So, it's harder than it looks.

Good morning from guitar nerddom!
Truly shocked that you have not posted on the Unheralded thread. I figured you would have gone with Sturgill Simpson covering In Bloom.

Back