• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Would you be (or are you) a neighborhood pioneer?

Investment in "up and coming" places is a risk/reward thing. Higher risk, possibly more reward.

Aside from the investment angle, the only other people I've known that intentionally move into "depressed" areas are those with a mission to be salt/light, hoping that by being a good neighbor in such a place they can make a positive difference in the lives of others that live there. Probably something similar to what a few of you have already mentioned.

The "i.e. are you gay?" tag made me laugh because we've certainly seen some anecdotal evidence of that. At least a few of our friends (some in Philly and some here) have bought houses formerly owned and refurbished by gay couples in "up and coming" neighborhoods. I've also read articles in local real estate blogs about the possible next popular areas based on where the gay couples are moving and living. Definitely an interesting phenomenon.

i've heard this before too. my realtor mentioned it to me when i bought my house, because my neighborhood has a relatively (for charlotte) high percentage of gay couples. my house was formerly owned by a gay couple (but there was another family that lived there in between when they owned it and when i bought it). maybe it'll pay off when i go to sell my house :)

Back