• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

X games Caleb Moore dies...

And I've known folks to be seriously injured and die in race car crashes. I don't believe anyone competes in these "extreme" sports without knowing the potential consequences. On the contrary, I think far more people get in their cars to commute to work daily, sucking down a drink, doing their makeup and texting without considering the potentially deadly consequences at all. The folks pushing the limits are taking far more calculated risks.

This. The people who do stuff like that don't do it for money or fame or getting on tv. You won't stop them from doing it. It's sad that sometimes people die from things like this, but like dv7 said they do it because they love it.

This. The people who do stuff like that don't do it for money or fame or getting on tv. You won't stop them from doing it. It's sad that sometimes people die from things like this, but like dv7 said they do it because they love it.

Couldn't agree more

+1

Didn't a Luger die at the last Winter Olympics?

I believe it was the last Winter Olympics. Forgot about that.

Curious as to whether or not his brother continues his career. With that being said, prayers out to the Moore family

What I meant is: the best time win at the end right?

Not in snowboard or freestyle things like motocross, snowmobiles etc..
You have one guy who can pull of that specific move... you better learn it or try to surpass it somehow.

That's why I think it's not just pushing others to great things, but also pushing others to take up challenges that they are not ready to master....

Might not have stated that in a comprensible manner

...isn't that what competition is about? sure, the nature of the sport in which they're competing is more dangerous... but that's their sport of choice. i don't see a problem with it at all.

The luger died because the idiots who designed the course put an iron support too damn close the the finish line. That was one of the most pointless deaths I can remember in sports.

What I meant is: the best time win at the end right?

The first person to the finish line wins.

Not in snowboard or freestyle things like motocross, snowmobiles etc..
You have one guy who can pull of that specific move... you better learn it or try to surpass it somehow.

And in racing, you better learn to drive faster to surpass your competitors. The entire race is spent trying to surpass your competitors by pushing up to and over the absolute limit of machine, conditions, and human ability. It's really not any different whether it's a race or a judged competition. Limits are still exceeded and people get hurt.

That's why I think it's not just pushing others to great things, but also pushing others to take up challenges that they are not ready to master....

Less experienced race car drivers often crash hard when they try to keep up with better drivers. We all make our own decisions whether to take up a challenge or not. The only way to be ready is to try something, fail, and learn from your mistakes. Sometimes those failures, especially in extreme sports, can have very grave mistakes. It's the nature of the business. You can limit equipment in some cases, but you can't limit what the driver, rider, skier, etc will try to do with said equipment.

Not sure how we got down the path of arguing judged vs timing. All of this to say, I too have seen people get hurt and killed doing something extreme and dangerous. They knew the dangers and they did it anyway. They were far more aware of and in control of their potential dangers than most of us are when we walk out of the house in the morning. It sucks for a tragedy to happen, but it's the nature of pushing the limit. By all means, increase safety equipment, make safer courses, etc...but it's hard to place "limits" on the creativity, desire, and drive of a competitor.

Last edited:
...isn't that what competition is about? sure, the nature of the sport in which they're competing is more dangerous... but that's their sport of choice. i don't see a problem with it at all.

I don't see a problem either, but after a punctured lung, a broken arm, torn ACL and multiples concussions..
I needed someone to tell me that enough is enough.

I still love it tough and would never quit that sport, even if it means taking it a little bit more easy on the slopes.

The first person to the finish line wins.

And in racing, you better learn to drive faster to surpass your competitors. The entire race is spent trying to surpass your competitors by pushing up to and over the absolute limit of machine, conditions, and human ability. It's really not any different whether it's a race or a judged competition. Limits are still exceeded and people get hurt.

Less experienced race car drivers often crash hard when they try to keep up with better drivers. We all make our own decisions whether to take up a challenge or not. The only way to be ready is to try something, fail, and learn from your mistakes. Sometimes those failures, especially in extreme sports, can have very grave mistakes. It's the nature of the business. You can limit equipment in some cases, but you can't limit what the driver, rider, skier, etc will try to do with said equipment.

Fair enough, I have the most respect for race car drivers

Back