• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

You Might Want to Re-Think the Ice Cream Truck Song

This is an interesting little bit of trivia, but, who cares? There are plenty of traditions that we have in current society that have roots in things that are currently completely unacceptable, but the roots are generally forgotten and have no meaning any longer....just like the roots of the ice cream song (or the connection of that song to ice cream).
People like the song and there is no real reason to change it. It signals positive feelings for almost anyone who hears it. It's current meaning has long since transcended it's insidious beginnings.

My grandparents probably didn't think that song was funny. Yours may have.

One set of my grandparents couldn't have afforded a record player to play that song on, and the other set was a little busy shooting at Germans.

I bet they all liked ice cream, though.

We were talking about an interesting little bit of trivia. For some reason, some posters tried to deny the trivia was correct. Nobody is boycotting ice cream trucks or demanding the song be changed.

This is an interesting little bit of trivia, but, who cares? There are plenty of traditions that we have in current society that have roots in things that are currently completely unacceptable, but the roots are generally forgotten and have no meaning any longer....just like the roots of the ice cream song (or the connection of that song to ice cream).
People like the song and there is no real reason to change it. It signals positive feelings for almost anyone who hears it. It's current meaning has long since transcended it's insidious beginnings.

thanks dan snyder

We were talking about an interesting little bit of trivia. For some reason, some posters tried to deny the trivia was correct. Nobody is boycotting ice cream trucks or demanding the song be changed.

I am. And not just the trucks either. All ice cream is under personal boycott.

Coffee ice cream, yay or nay?

I love it, may have to get some today.

1245676462_icecream-soccer-fan-kid.gif

Wasn't the general article about changing the ice cream song? (to be honest, I just read the first paragraph or two...so maybe the author wasn't actually suggesting the song be changed)

One set of my grandparents couldn't have afforded a record player to play that song on, and the other set was a little busy shooting at Germans.

I bet they all liked ice cream, though.

that's one long war

Wasn't the general article about changing the ice cream song? (to be honest, I just read the first paragraph or two...so maybe the author wasn't actually suggesting the song be changed)

Nope

They'd better change that song if they want my business back.

The Emperor of Ice-Cream
Wallace Stevens, 1879 - 1955

Call the roller of big cigars,
The muscular one, and bid him whip
In kitchen cups concupiscent curds.
Let the wenches dawdle in such dress
As they are used to wear, and let the boys
Bring flowers in last month’s newspapers.
Let be be finale of seem.
The only emperor is the emperor of ice-cream.

Take from the dresser of deal,
Lacking the three glass knobs, that sheet
On which she embroidered fantails once
And spread it so as to cover her face.
If her horny feet protrude, they come
To show how cold she is, and dumb.
Let the lamp affix its beam.
The only emperor is the emperor of ice-cream.

Trader Joe's Coffee Bean Blast is one of the best coffee ice creams I've ever had.

Coffee is a top 5 ice cream flavor

Back