• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Your 5 Favorite Horror Movies Ever

Boooooo! Decent start, but lame movie with a super heavy-handed conclusion. Cannot believe it gets the love it gets. People must really badly want a horror movie to be good.
I disagree, but different strokes doe.

I hate scary movies, but The Shining is one of my favorite movies in general.

question for those who like scary movies: what about them do you like? the adrenaline from watching? the plots themselves? how they're able to manipulate the audience? do you ever have lingering effects from watching, or do you finish the movie and immediately stop whatever mental games it played on you because the movie is over?
i dislike them so much, it sometimes boggles me to learn people truly enjoy them.

question for those who like scary movies: what about them do you like? the adrenaline from watching? the plots themselves? how they're able to manipulate the audience? do you ever have lingering effects from watching, or do you finish the movie and immediately stop whatever mental games it played on you because the movie is over?
i dislike them so much, it sometimes boggles me to learn people truly enjoy them.

It's all about catharsis. We seek out movies to make us feel something. I want to be scared shitless, and love the movies that can do so. If a film lingers in my mind for days, that's great. I also really appreciate the craft of horror storytelling. There is a discipline to it. To find things that touch on a somewhat universal nerve to scare people. To be predictable enough to set you up, but not enough to not catch you off guard. Lots of strands.

Plus when I was a wee lad, you could always count on renting a 70-80s slasher and fast forwarding about 45 minutes to see some boobies. It was like clockwork.

I love horror movies, but I hate the aftermath. I have a vivid imagination, so a good horror movie can keep me up for a while.

I enjoy the creativity of horror films, the horror genre is more accepting of crazy directorial and editing styles. I also really enjoy seeing how the tension builds and plot twists come together.

1. The Devil's Rejects
2. House of a 1000 corpses
3. Halloween
4. The Shinning
5. Texas Chainsaw Massacre (original)

Don't get the love for Scream here, besides providing solid hollowed costumes those movies really sucked.

-The Shining
-Alien
-Dawn of the Dead
-Psycho
-In the Mouth of Madness

It's all about catharsis. We seek out movies to make us feel something. I want to be scared shitless, and love the movies that can do so. If a film lingers in my mind for days, that's great. I also really appreciate the craft of horror storytelling. There is a discipline to it. To find things that touch on a somewhat universal nerve to scare people. To be predictable enough to set you up, but not enough to not catch you off guard. Lots of strands.

Plus when I was a wee lad, you could always count on renting a 70-80s slasher and fast forwarding about 45 minutes to see some boobies. It was like clockwork.
Building off of this, horror films first and foremost go right for your gut, find a way in, then slowly seep into your mind. It can be the most visceral of all movie watching experiences, yet at the same time one of the most mentally engaging. "Horror" is such a wide ranging genre, to be able to encompass such a range of movies, from art house black and white flicks like Night of the Hunter, Repulsion, The Innocents, to the 70's/80's giallo/slasher greats like Suspiria, Halloween, The Texas Chainsaw Massacre, to 80's camp classics like Evil Dead, Re-Animator, Sleepaway Camp, to the wave of meta horror like Scream, Funny Games, Audition, You're Next, the list could go on, but the main point is, all have equal psychological merit, since horror inherently deals with people and their neuroses, society and its ills, etc. horror is one of the only genres that can engage you at a gut level and at an intellectual level at the same time.

I feel like I have to separate this off into two groups. Pre-Scream and post-Scream. Scream really kicked off an era of self-aware horror movies, and it had a profound effect on the genre as a whole. Horror's my favorite genre, so I've seen a ton of horror flicks, and am no doubt leaving some great ones of the list.

Pre-Scream:
The Texas Chainsaw Massacre
Halloween
The Exorcist
Blue Velvet (falls in between genres, but it has horror elements)
Kwaiden
Suspiria
The Innocents
Dawn of the Dead
Repulsion
Evil Dead
Videodrome
The Fog
Maniac
The New York Ripper

Post-Scream:
American Psycho
Cabin Fever
REC
Zodiac
Inside
The Descent
Wolf Creek
The Devil's Rejects
Pulse (Kairo)
Audition

Sorry for the long list, but I could have gone on for days listing horror movies I love.

EDIT: To answer the question my top 5 would be Texas Chainsaw Massacre, Halloween, The Exorcist, Videodrome, and Repulsion.
Heh, funny to see this from 4 years ago. I'd update my list to a top 10:

1. The Texas Chainsaw Massacre
2. Don't Look Now
3. Halloween
4. Suspiria
5. Dressed to Kill
6. Inland Empire
7. Rosemary's Baby
8. The Night of the Hunter
9. Wolf Creek
10. Scream

I'm surprised there's not more love from the board for Dawn of the Dead. You guys don't like zombies?

The first one is fantastic. The remake isn't as good, but a whole lot scarier.

1.) Let the Right One In
2.) The Wicker Man
3.) The Thing
4.) The Strangers
5.) Halloween

Also, from the meta-horror perspective, Tucker and Dale vs. Evil and Behind the Mask: The Rise of Leslie Vernon are great movies as well.

Last edited:
I'm surprised there's not more love from the board for Dawn of the Dead. You guys don't like zombies?

The first one is fantastic. The remake isn't as good, but a whole lot scarier.

Night of the Living Dead was just so much more effective to me. The black and white grainy aesthetic produced a drastically creepier atmosphere, and I loved the intimacy and claustrophobia of taking place in a single house. Plus the ending is so dark but at the same time hopeful (authorities seem to have a handle on the situation), but knowing what comes next in Romero's Dead universe makes it feel even more bleak in hindsight. Overall it's truly one of the greats of the genre, and I'm actually surprised that Dawn of the Dead is frequently placed ahead of it. But I don't think much of Wolf Creek or The Descent, so different strokes I guess.

Oh and the Dawn remake is outstanding. Not quite in my favorites, but definitely a strong entry for that decade.

Back