• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Your Age?

Mark your Age

• teens or below

Votes: 3 1.7%
  • twenties

Votes: 75 43.6%
  • thirties

Votes: 36 20.9%
  • forties

Votes: 28 16.3%
  • fifties

Votes: 15 8.7%
  • sixties or above

Votes: 15 8.7%

• Total voters
Most people over the age of 20-29 are too jaded by Wake's old crappy football programs to make a judgement on how good (good really?) Lobo is doing relative to his talent

Ageism is the laziest and easy to counter argument

Which is EXACTLY what you are doing by making that assertion.

Most people over the age of 20-29 are too jaded by Wake's old crappy football programs to make a judgement on how good Lobo is doing relative to his talent

Ageism is the laziest and easy to counter argument

a better poll would be, how much experience do you have playing or coaching football. i think that will be my next poll.

This coaching staff has assembled a plan that was a 32 yard field goal away from playing for a chance to go to the ACC Championship Game next week against Maryland. This is in a division that includes Florida State and Clemson . So you guys think this staff has not served our players well? Most of them were players that the bigger schools did not offer. Our staff says come here, work hard, and we'll put you in a position to play for championships. That is exactly what they have done.

I'm not the one saying "on how good Lobo is doing relative to his talent".

AS third grader would know not to say such a thing.

No shit Sherlock. Can you really not see what I was doing there? My god you are retarded

the difference is though my assuming that a 20 year old who has been a wake fan since college is not in a position to judge our OC is a lot safer assumption IMO vs the example assumption that old people are jaded by the past.

my thought process is probably pretty well grounded. an 8 year old would not be qualified to judge lobo, because it would be impossible. a 50 year old probably isn't either, but at least it would be possible. the poll shows most of the posters are in the scheme of things very young.

to me this means they may not have enough perspective, especially if they didn't grow up watching app spank wake as I did.

and i'm 26 btw.

(and yes i realize that i blended two different arguments into this post)

It would be more interesting if you could divide by markers of age and organized football (varsity high school minimum) experience and then pose questions regarding the performance of the deacs. For example you could compare me, football/+50 with non-football/+50 and football/+20 to see how whether it is age or experience that determines attitude.

This argument about age/football IQ reminds me of that UNC nitwit who basically argued that UNC only loses when they beat themselves but when they win it's because they are the best team. So if you have a high IQ we somehow see how great Lobo is and if we think he sucks then we are stupid fans?! Lobo should be fired for the ND game. If he called the kind of game we played Saturday against ND we win no questions.

And while we're at it, I guess the only time a coach has a bad game is when the players are perfect? It is possible, even given the mistakes our players make, to also see poor coaching, too. I like to think we are recruiting the best players we can get, so I guess we just have to keep getting better. But if you think we are getting the best we can from our OC you must be old and have a really high football IQ.

This argument about age/football IQ reminds me of that UNC nitwit who basically argued that UNC only loses when they beat themselves but when they win it's because they are the best team. So if you have a high IQ we somehow see how great Lobo is and if we think he sucks then we are stupid fans?! Lobo should be fired for the ND game. If he called the kind of game we played Saturday against ND we win no questions.

And while we're at it, I guess the only time a coach has a bad game is when the players are perfect? It is possible, even given the mistakes our players make, to also see poor coaching, too. I like to think we are recruiting the best players we can get, so I guess we just have to keep getting better. But if you think we are getting the best we can from our OC you must be old and have a really high football IQ.

just to be clear though that's not what i said. my line of reasoning may have some holes in it but i didn't call anyone dumb for believing one thing or another. not in this thread at least hah.

Last edited:
If I mischaracterize, I'm sorry. I will just say that we need to get better in all areas, including defense and special teams. But I think our OC holds us back from getting better offensively. And I'm also saying that you do not need to have coached high school or played in college to see how awful our game plan was for ND, and HOW MUCH BETTER it was for Clemson. Look at the results. Lost a game that I think we could have won (ND), and almost won a game I thought we had no chance in (Climpsum). Of all the areas we need to get better, I'd start with OC.

A better poll might be to ask who has been in a professional postion with full authority, acountability and responsibility, for example in the business world, government or the military. My guess is that most people responding "yes" would fully understand that everything Lobo does comes under the direction of and with the approval of Jim Grobe. I'm amazed that people don't understand that simple concept.

I'm 28 years old. I grew up with season tickets to Florida State and the Jaguars and then to UVA. I played High School football and I worked for the football team during the Grobe era.

I've been solidly Lobo out since 2003.

So the premise is that if you are over 50, age induced stupidity keeps you from having valid thoughts on our 59 year old coach and his program? Think about it.

What this thread really proves is that Wake Forest graduates morons. Maybe if you are in your 20s, grade inflation is why you got your degree.

We could do a poll, but under 30s of course, would be eliminated from voting by the generally acknowledged and scientifically proven age related moron factor. :)

So the premise is that if you are over 50, age induced stupidity keeps you from having valid thoughts on our 59 year old coach and his program? Think about it.

What this thread really proves is that Wake Forest graduates morons. Maybe if you are in your 20s, grade inflation is why you got your degree.

We could do a poll, but under 30s of course, would be eliminated from voting by the generally acknowledged and scientifically proven age related moron factor. :)

Or, you could argue that what life experience you bring with you affects you logical and emotional attachment to Wake Forest Football. Because I'm in my fifties, played four years of high school football and was CEO of two companies, my world view is different than that of a 25 year old who grew up in youth soccer and is working as a marketing assistant. We are both right, from our individual perspectives. We just have to respect each other's perspective as oppose to stooping to name calling and stereotyping.

Dirk. Based upon your posts, you're at least my age or older. IMHO, you bring a ton of perspective and humor to this board. I'm discouraged when you throw up your hands and stomp off.

Dirk, no one is saying this is only on the offense. At least, I am not. I am in favor of Grobe examining both sides of the team and making adjustments as necessary.

Don't you agree that Grobe needs to examine how his staff can be refined to take Wake football to the next level?

I'm not denying we have offensive issues. But from where I sit the shortcomings are on the defensive side of the ball. We're soft. We start out well but when it's time to shut a team down and give the offense a break we aren't there. And I'm not a guy who is head hunting coaches. I know they see the obvious, know more than I do, and will do the best they can to fix it.

Just win a game or two, go to a bowl game and we've exceeded expectations this year. I'm good with that. And frankly, if Lobo moves on to a head coaching job, which I think he is ready for, good on him. He's a sharp guy and the O coordinator always has the bullseye on him. He's weathered it pretty well.

I'm not denying we have offensive issues. But from where I sit the shortcomings are on the defensive side of the ball. We're soft. We start out well but when it's time to shut a team down and give the offense a break we aren't there. And I'm not a guy who is head hunting coaches. I know they see the obvious, know more than I do, and will do the best they can to fix it.

Just win a game or two, go to a bowl game and we've exceeded expectations this year. I'm good with that. And frankly, if Lobo moves on to a head coaching job, which I think he is ready for, good on him. He's a sharp guy and the O coordinator always has the bullseye on him. He's weathered it pretty well.

My interpretation of the offense versus defense situation is the exact opposite of yours. Defense isn't going to be very good if it speeds so much time on the field during the 2nd half.

Back