• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Your Favorite Chinese Food Dishes

Impossible to pick. Maybe I could pick a favorite from each of the Great Regions?

Hunan is probably my favorite region. Southern > Northern, but I like the earthy, mushroomy, garlicky stuff from the North too.

Impossible to pick. Maybe I could pick a favorite from each of the Great Regions?

Hunan is probably my favorite region. Southern > Northern, but I like the earthy, mushroomy, garlicky stuff from the North too.

I never encounter a true Hunan restaurant

some authentic (?) dishes show up at cantonese places (hunan beef, etc)

what's a great Hunan dish?

also, great dim sum is as good as it gets

I make a few stir-frys that I like a lot more than your garden variety Chinese place. But Peter Chang's here in Cville has some really good stuff. Also been to A Taste of China a couple of times for lunch and that's good too. While I'm a fan of Asian food generally, I avoid Americanized Chinese places.

Peyton Manning was so clueless about Chinese food that he'd have his girlfriend/now wife call a Chinese restaurant in Knoxville to order for him. She was a student at UVa. I like dim sum (pot stickers, dumplings, pork buns). Hot and sour soup is still the most effective hangover cure for me.

Sesame Chicken from JIN-JIN in LAURINBURG, NC is the greatest food mankind has ever created. If you find yourself with enough good fortune to be passing through SCOTLAND COUNTY, call 910-277-1616 and enjoy.

Enjoying an Asian Sesame Chicken Salad at Panera right now.

The duck at Peking Gourmet in Falls Church is insane. It was Bush 1's favorite place while he was pres.

bacon_orange_chicken.jpg

Duh

Peyton Manning was so clueless about Chinese food that he'd have his girlfriend/now wife call a Chinese restaurant in Knoxville to order for him. She was a student at UVa. I like dim sum (pot stickers, dumplings, pork buns). Hot and sour soup is still the most effective hangover cure for me.

If you're ever in downtown Cville, try the hot and sour soup and dumplings at Marco & Luca's. Best $5.50 lunch in town.

One thing that I came up with is my own version of Kung Pao Chicken. I hate zucchini, which is what you usually get in restaurants. But chicken, onions, peanuts and broccoli go great together. So I do my kung pao with broccoli instead of zucchini. Cut up and brown 1 package of boneless chicken breasts, then set aside. Slightly steam the broccoli to where it's not quite done and remove. Saute the onions and then the broccoli added back in. Add peanuts, garlic and chili flakes. Then throw the chicken back in. For the sauce, mix completely like 3-4 T flour with sherry, add a bit more sherry, soy sauce, sriracha to taste and sesame oil. May need a bit of water too. Pour over the stirfry and heat a few minutes for sauce to thicken. Serve over rice. Really good and not overly difficult.

Edited to add use unsalted peanuts. Lord knows there is enough sodium in the soy sauce (I usually get the industrial size soy sauce from our Asian store with the lowest sodium content).

Last edited:
Szechwan cuisine was my favorite to eat while I was in China. Super spicy.

Chow fun w/ house gravy

Mongolian/Generals

Lo mein's always a winner.

Rangoon, dumps, dragon soup.

I never encounter a true Hunan restaurant

some authentic (?) dishes show up at cantonese places (hunan beef, etc)

what's a great Hunan dish?

also, great dim sum is as good as it gets

There's this place Hunan Restaurant in Mainline Philadelphia (Ardmore) that's excellent, true Hunan style. Never been to China, but that's what my Chinese colleages that took me there say anyway. It's spicy and seasonal. It's similar but different than the more well known Sichuan. Lots of cured and smoked and fermented foods.

Back