• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

You're Gonna Need a Bigger Boat

tsywake

Sheikh of Smoke
Staff member
Reaction score
Pretty cool stuff. Great Whites are being tagged now, so each time their fin breaks the water's surface it pings to a satellite to identify their current location. Obviously, most are near the horn of Africa, but we've got a couple on the east coast of the US, with one that has been pacing the gulf stream from Jacksonville FL to Cape Cod in recent months.

http://www.journalnow.com/news/state_region/article_1af2f762-3eda-11e2-bdc2-001a4bcf6878.html

This is the actual website to track them.
http://sharks-ocearch.verite.com/

Last edited:
Has anyone gone swimming with great whites (in the cage like on TV)? I think that seems like it would be pretty awesome.

If you haven't read Susan Casey's The Devil's Teeth, it's worth a read.

http://www.amazon.com/Devils-Teeth-...d=1354717886&sr=1-1&keywords=the+devils+teeth

A journalist's obsession brings her to a remote island off the California coast, home to the world's most mysterious and fearsome predators-and the strange band of surfer-scientists who follow them

Susan Casey was in her living room when she first saw the great white sharks of the Farallon Islands, their dark fins swirling around a small motorboat in a documentary. These sharks were the alphas among alphas, some longer than twenty feet, and there were too many to count; even more incredible, this congregation was taking place just twenty-seven miles off the coast of San Francisco.

In a matter of months, Casey was being hoisted out of the early-winter swells on a crane, up a cliff face to the barren surface of Southeast Farallon Island-dubbed by sailors in the 1850s the "devil's teeth." There she joined Scot Anderson and Peter Pyle, the two biologists who bunk down during shark season each fall in the island's one habitable building, a haunted, 135-year-old house spackled with lichen and gull guano. Two days later, she got her first glimpse of the famous, terrifying jaws up close and she was instantly hooked; her fascination soon yielded to obsession-and an invitation to return for a full season. But as Casey readied herself for the eight-week stint, she had no way of preparing for what she would find among the dangerous, forgotten islands that have banished every campaign for civilization in the past two hundred years.

The Devil's Teeth is a vivid dispatch from an otherworldly outpost, a story of crossing the boundary between society and an untamed place where humans are neither wanted nor needed.

Has anyone gone swimming with great whites (in the cage like on TV)? I think that seems like it would be pretty awesome.

My friend did with his sister in South Africa and the pictures are some of the coolest things I've seen. Its by far the coolest thing someone I know has done and I'm insanely jealous and would love to do that one day.

Now see, this is a job I want. How do you get a job like this? Suppose my grad school aims could change, haha.

Mary Lee was hunting some tryptophan-laden swimmers off Hilton Head on Thanksgiving.

Scuba dived with a hammerhead and quite a few nurse sharks, but no great whites. Cage diving is definitely something I'd like to do in my life, though.

Scuba dived with a hammerhead and quite a few nurse sharks, but no great whites.

Last time I went diving it had been a few years and my cert was expired, so I had to go down for a check dive. While the rest of the boat was getting suited up, the instructor and myself got ready to go early. I was the first in the water (about 20 feet), sank to the bottom on my knees to wait for the instructor, cleared my mask and looked straight at about a 7-8 foot Hammerhead 8-10 feet in front of me. It stayed around for a 20-30 seconds until the instructor jumped off the boat above. One of the coolest moments...totally engrained into my mind.

Show me the way to go home
I'm tired and I want to go to sleep
I had me a drink about an hour ago and it went straight to my head

Mary Lee (16', 3400lbs) has been in and out of Charleston lately - making plenty of news when she stops by. That's a helluva lot of shark.

Did it a few years ago outside of Cape Town. Very surreal experience. If you go during the South African winter, it is actually pretty easy for the boats to find them.

Mary Lee off the coast of NC/SC now don't go swimming she is huge. lol

Did it a few years ago outside of Cape Town. Very surreal experience. If you go during the South African winter, it is actually pretty easy for the boats to find them.

I did this too a few months ago.

Simultaneously the single most amazing and terrifying thing I have ever done

Back