• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Youtube 1984 Wake vs. UVa ABC sports

Doug Illing missed a bunch of PAT's and got benched that year in my recollection. He could blast the ball, but couldn't hit it straight.

I wondered why I didn't remember him when I heard Davie's coach was a former Deacon. I guess I erased that from my memory.

We should have a throwback game and wear those helmets. But we wont because were lame and also have zero swag.

Those were the helmets while I was roaming Wake's hallowed halls- and they were pretty cool!

Dooley later tweaked them by making the logo white trimmed in yellow and removing the center stripes.

At first I thought this was going to be the home game against UVA where after a long pass into field goal range Groh rushed Wilson Hoyle out for what would have been the game winning kick; of course he missed it. Everyone in the stadium including Hoyle was expecting a spike to stop the clock and get the kicking team on the field; instead it was total chaos. Groh completely laid the blame on Hoyle afterwards, and from that day forward I was ready for a coaching change.

I was there for that one too. I think I was a frosh or soph so that would have been 85 or 86. I was visiting UVa in high school the weekend of the Wake - UVa game in 1984 and was in the stands somewhere. Don't remember much of that game and was pretty sure I was going to go to UVa and not Wake at the time.

I watched most of the first half, and this game epitomizes my memory of Wake football games when I was growing up. Other teams bigger, stronger, faster. We show a few flashes, have a few very good players, but are outmatched by good teams.

That's what made the ACC title so special.

As an aside, I noticed the promo for "next week's game" had SMU ranked #6. I guess it was Pony Express time(before they got caught), with rampant cheating. Maybe we couldn't compete b/c we weren't cheating? Yeah, that's what I'll keep telling myself.

Anyway, nice (but a little painful) trip down memory lane, thanks for posting.

At first I thought this was going to be the home game against UVA where after a long pass into field goal range Groh rushed Wilson Hoyle out for what would have been the game winning kick; of course he missed it. Everyone in the stadium including Hoyle was expecting a spike to stop the clock and get the kicking team on the field; instead it was total chaos. Groh completely laid the blame on Hoyle afterwards, and from that day forward I was ready for a coaching change.

That was probably Hoyle's worst moment as a Deac (think it was '86 Charlottesville). He had a great career....especially for a walk-on. Fast forward 21 years where Grobe goes ultra-conservative forcing Swank to kick about a 47 yarder to win the game, also in Charlottesville. Once again, the head coach was responsible for a great kicker's worst moment as a Deac.

The Wilson Hoyle miss was in 86 in Groves. It was homecoming and it happened right in front of me. Al Groh was not known for his game management skills.

I was kissing Bluegrass on the neck that day so I can attest that it happened right in front of him.

Ahh, yes, Al Groh and the shovel pass from the 10 yd line with 10 seconds to play, and no timeouts. Tackled at the 3 and had to watch the clock run out.... Then he did the exact same thing at the end of the first half at UT in Knoxville when we were keeping it vey close. We were telling the UT fans to just watch as Al calls his beloved shovel pass and then time will expire. They were like, no way, he can't be that stupid. NO one would do that. On cue, shovel pass, tackled at 2, time expires. This is what we live with....

One of his first games as HC at UVa, they were down 11 points late, and scored a TD. Groh sends in the kicker, much to the dismay of everyone. They get the ball back and get near FG range as time expires. Groh's post game explanation: We felt like we would have a problem if we went to overtime, and felt like we need to win the game outright and not go for the tie. Umm, how about you just admit you f'ed up and mis-added or something? It was unbelievable.

you can hear the Wake band playing the fight song when the Deacs come onto the field. Did our band make the trip b/c this is back when UVA's band was "banned" by the school, or did the band always travel to away games then?

Back