• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Baseball

Apparently the Mets love him which is why he's been projected at 19 so frequently.

And the geographic boost must be real as hell for Minnesota to be a two seed. Even if you get rid of the RPI as a metric, you still have a team that did go 16-7 in conference but in a relatively weak Big 10, and without any real marquee wins. I keep harping on this but they only won three games against top 50 teams and only played seven. That's wild. Wake won 13 (top ten in the country). I didn't even think Minnesota should have made the tournament but they aren't gonna exclude the big 10 regular season winner unless they just have a garbage resume.

I swear I'm not trying to needlessly push my stuff (It's a free story anyway. . .not premium), but it does go along with this conversation. Walter indicated he'd rather be a high 3 seed than one of the lower 2 seeds, and it was for a reason I hadn't really considered.

From Walter: “Truthfully, I’d rather be a strong 3 instead of the lowest 2, because that means if you do win your first game, you get to be the home team against the host. You don’t want a team like Texas A&M in the winner’s bracket game, to have the last at-bat against you. That’s a big change in the mindset."

https://wakeforest.n.rivals.com/news/deacs-celebrate-ncaa-tourney-bid-prepare-for-gophers

Good read! Thanks!
Can you expound upon the weak 2 vs strong 3 and home field advantage statement?

Good read! Thanks!
Can you expound upon the weak 2 vs strong 3 and home field advantage statement?

I probably should have followed up, but I found this online:

"For first-round games during championship competiti
on, the highest-seeded team shall be designated as
the home team. In subsequent games, the home team s
hall be determined according to a formula applied
by the games committee.
In determining which of two teams in any game will
be the home team, the games committee or the
NCAA game representative shall designate the home t
eam using the following guidelines:
1. The institution that has been the home team the
fewer number of times in that particular tournament
2. If the two teams are equal in this respect but u
nequal in the number of times they were the visitor
then the team that has been the visitor more often
will be designated the home team.
3. If the two teams are equal in the number of time
s that they have been home and visitor, the games
committee or the NCAA game representative shall obs
erve the following procedures in the order stated:
a. If the two teams have met previously in that par
ticular tournament, the visitor in the previous gam
e
shall be the home team in the game in question
(Exception: In a two-team tournament where both tea
ms have been the home team twice, the fifth game
will be determined by a coin flip);
b. The team that was visitor in its preceding game
shall be the home team, unless both teams were visi
-
tors in their preceding games; or
c. If the above procedures do not resolve the matte
r, the home team shall be determined by coin flip. "

So because a hypothetical game Saturday game between Wake and TAMU would feature a Wake team that was the visitor against Minnesota and a TAMU team that was home against Binghamton, Wake would get to be the home team.

We likely should have a good bit of confidence in this game. DON'T be over confident, be ready and just get the win.

We shouldn't be overconfident against anybody. We aren't that good.

Wake has reason to be confident against Minnesota. Regardless of what you think of wake, Minnesota is the worst two seed. It's the best opening pairing for any three seed IMO.

Hoping the Deac bats produce early so Coach has the option of going to the bullpen early or not at all.

Wake has no reason to be overconfident against anybody. It isn't like we are an elite team.

Wake has no reason to be overconfident against anybody. It isn't like we are an elite team.

Great...seems like you agree with what literally everyone else already said, including yourself. Nobody said we should be overconfident.

We likely should have a good bit of confidence in this game. DON'T be over confident, be ready and just get the win.

We shouldn't be overconfident against anybody. We aren't that good.

Wake should never be overconfident in any athletic endeavor.

Wake has reason to be confident against Minnesota. Regardless of what you think of wake, Minnesota is the worst two seed. It's the best opening pairing for any three seed IMO.

In other news, Will Craig named First Team All-American by Louisville Slugger. One of only two ACC players and Seth Beer was not the other one. Should've won ACC POY.

No sport is more prone to upsets than baseball. In the last 10 years, only 3 National Seeds (top 8 seeded teams heading into the tournament) have won the entire tourney. That is akin to a #3 seed or lower winning the NCAA basketball tournament 7 of the last 10 years. In 2008, Fresno State was a #4 seed in their pod (that means seeded between #49 and #64), and they won it all. Similarly, small college teams like Stony Brook and Kent State have made the CWS. No team in the tournament can be over-confident heading in; in baseball any team is a hot opposing pitcher away from a loss.

Last edited:
Back