• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Baseball

Games Times:
Friday, June 3 Minnesota vs. Wake Forest 3 p.m.
Friday, June 3 Texas A&M vs. Binghamton 8 p.m.

Saturday, June 4 losers from Friday 3 p.m.
Saturday, June 4 winners from Friday 8 p.m.

Sunday, June 5 Elimination game 3 p.m.
Sunday, June 5 Championship game 8 p.m.

Monday, June 6 If necessary TBA

I'm thinking all those may be central time, but I could be wrong. The original time by ESPN for the Wake-Minnesota game was 4 p.m. I'll check to make sure.

Biggest question of the weekend... Do we save Dunshee for the second game? I say yes. It's our best shot to win. Or Walter could try to use him like we did last year as a long reliever and pick the best spots for him to pitch during the weekend.

Biggest question of the weekend... Do we save Dunshee for the second game? I say yes. It's our best shot to win. Or Walter could try to use him like we did last year as a long reliever and pick the best spots for him to pitch during the weekend.

I asked him that very question today during the interview and he responded by saying something like, "We're trying to win the regional, not just go 1-2." He said they would evaluate the matchups and put together a plan. Didn't commit to a game 1 starter at all. I'll have the full story up later tonight for free on the Rivals site.

I'm thinking all those may be central time, but I could be wrong. The original time by ESPN for the Wake-Minnesota game was 4 p.m. I'll check to make sure.

Yes they're all Central. Got them from the Aggies ticketing website.

Great minds think alike. We need Dunshee to beat aTm if we have a shot at winning the regional. Johnstone or Lopo can beat Minnesota. The heat of Texas will be another obstacle. Don't know if our players are used to the Texas heat, and the heat can take a toll on a bullpen in a long regional. Gotta go with Parker in game #2.

Pretty sure we can handle the heat better than Minnesota or Binghamton. A&M is going to be a tough out at home regardless of heat. Rotation is a tough call. If you pitch Dunshee in Game 2, who goes game 1 Johnstone or Loepprich? Johnstone has not been sharp at all since his gem against UNC. Nice to be having this conversational at all though.

One of Greers last teams decided to not pitch best pitcher in first game and lost. When you lose first game you are always playing from behind and only one loss away from elimination. Got to win first game. Got to go with best pitcher to start series.

On the flip side of that argument, didn't Wake pitch Kyle Sleeth the last time they hosted at Ernie Shore? If not Sleeth it was their number 1 and they crushed Navy in Game1. Left them in a bind and I believe Richmond won the regional. I see both sides on this one but would probably go with Dunshee. I also know nothing about Minnesota and if their record is soft. Any info somebody can pass along?

Texas A&M is #1 in a bunch of polls and their fans seem pissed they weren't the #1 overall seed.

SAVE DUNSHEE

No way a team with thin pitching can get in the loser's bracket in the first game and expect to win a regional, so you've got to pitch your ace first game. Also, if Dunshee pitches on Friday and the regional goes to the Monday game, he could possibly go a couple of innings on 2 days rest, but if he pitches on Saturday he will be done for the regional.

So what do people think our chances are? I think Minnesota is a weak 2 seed so that is nice. I also am still up in the air on the SEC. They got 7 hosts but no other teams in. I also heard the announcers during the ACCT talking about the SEC and how awful the defense had been in the SECT. I think at one point there had been something like 43 errors in 8 games.

In a brief perusal of TAMU's schedule it looks like they put up a decent number of runs. Their OOC also looks ridiculously weak.

Last edited:
Minnesota is the weakest 2 seed according to RPI. They beat 3 top 50 RPI teams this season but I haven't seen them play at all. We'll throw Dunshee I'd think and hopefully can get a couple cracks at TAMU. TAMU has been pretty solid this year in the little bit that I've seen of them. If we went with another guy on Friday I'd guess Loepprich off his start against Clemson.

From ESPN:

"Easiest regional: Texas A&M

There is nothing easy about playing Binghamton (and ace Mike Bunal, who holds opponents to a .212 average) or the capable talents on the roster of Minnesota and Wake Forest. But consider the "wide-eyed" factor on these teams. The Demon Deacons and Gophers have no players on their rosters who have played in an NCAA tournament game. Imagine their first postseason experience coming at raucous Blue Bell Park? That is the biggest reason the Aggies should have a breeze through the first weekend.

Now, a potential super regional versus TCU? Oof. That's a tough draw."

TJDK. The guy who wrote this probably hasn't watched one second of college baseball this year.

I think I'll head up to College Station Saturday. I wonder what the ticket situation is?

Not good! All reserved/session tix sold out. $40 for lawn or SRO based on availability before each game. Thought booking a hotel was the easy part....not driving over there to wait in line every game to see if I'm lucky enough to stand or sit on wet grass- yes, weather supposed to be rainy this weekend too. Getting sick of it here in Texas...:rulz:

Read some quotes from Aggies' players who are talking about how they are looking forward to the rematch with TCU (they played each other in the super-regionals last year). I hope they are looking past this weekend!

Our best chance by far is if Binghamton's ace pitches a great game and they pull an upset.

Our best chance by far is if Binghamton's ace pitches a great game and they pull an upset.

Vaguely remembered there was a recent Wake connection to Binghamton, then looked at their roster and remembered that's where SS Justin Yurchak transferred. He sat out this year, however.

Back