• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Baseball

Since I've been living there, you doofus. Why would I care about the Deacs playing in Austin when I was living in NC?

Also, just to be clear here, I'm wrong all the fucking time. And I have a terrible memory. It's not terribly difficult to "gotcha" me.

Anyways, this dude (Matt Fielder) has been Minnesota's Friday pitcher all year and seems likely to get the start against us. He also appears to be the Big 10 player of the year and is their best hitter. So basically their version of Will Craig:

http://www.twincities.com/2016/03/2...m-has-pitcher-hitter-fielder-in-matt-fiedler/

Also their pitching coach is in hospice after a long bout with leukemia which is difficult timing for the club. Thoughts with them.

Anyways, this dude (Matt Fielder) has been Minnesota's Friday pitcher all year and seems likely to get the start against us. He also appears to be the Big 10 player of the year and is their best hitter. So basically their version of Will Craig:

http://www.twincities.com/2016/03/2...m-has-pitcher-hitter-fielder-in-matt-fiedler/

Also their pitching coach is in hospice after a long bout with leukemia which is difficult timing for the club. Thoughts with them.

He sadly passed away last Thursday.

From ESPN:

"Easiest regional: Texas A&M

There is nothing easy about playing Binghamton (and ace Mike Bunal, who holds opponents to a .212 average) or the capable talents on the roster of Minnesota and Wake Forest. But consider the "wide-eyed" factor on these teams. The Demon Deacons and Gophers have no players on their rosters who have played in an NCAA tournament game. Imagine their first postseason experience coming at raucous Blue Bell Park? That is the biggest reason the Aggies should have a breeze through the first weekend.

Now, a potential super regional versus TCU? Oof. That's a tough draw."

TJDK. The guy who wrote this probably hasn't watched one second of college baseball this year.

i bet they do know

I'm pretty sure this region is the weakest, at least from TAMU's perspective. There's no real two seed caliber-wise and Binghamton doesn't appear to be great, but we really have no idea. They haven't played a top 50 team all year. As a region the four teams won 35 games against top 50 opponents: TAMU won 19, Wake won 13, Minnesota won 3, and Binghamton didn't even play one.

I'm pretty sure this region is the weakest, at least from TAMU's perspective. There's no real two seed caliber-wise and Binghamton doesn't appear to be great, but we really have no idea. They haven't played a top 50 team all year. As a region the four teams won 35 games against top 50 opponents: TAMU won 19, Wake won 13, Minnesota won 3, and Binghamton didn't even play one.

I'm still up in the air on the SEC as shown by my previous comments. The conference is skewed toward the top as shown by 7 national seeds and no others selected. Teams like UGA are an enigma as they were in the top 30 in RPI almost all season and were never over .500.

From their (multiple) boards which I have looked over, they all consider us to be the true 2 seed. It makes sense comparing our resumes to teams like Minnesota, and even GT.

From their (multiple) boards which I have looked over, they all consider us to be the true 2 seed. It makes sense comparing our resumes to teams like Minnesota, and even GT.

I swear I'm not trying to needlessly push my stuff (It's a free story anyway. . .not premium), but it does go along with this conversation. Walter indicated he'd rather be a high 3 seed than one of the lower 2 seeds, and it was for a reason I hadn't really considered.

From Walter: “Truthfully, I’d rather be a strong 3 instead of the lowest 2, because that means if you do win your first game, you get to be the home team against the host. You don’t want a team like Texas A&M in the winner’s bracket game, to have the last at-bat against you. That’s a big change in the mindset."

https://wakeforest.n.rivals.com/news/deacs-celebrate-ncaa-tourney-bid-prepare-for-gophers

How Minnesota got a 2 seed with their resume I do not know. Not saying they can't beat us, but I just don't understand that with their body of work.

How Minnesota got a 2 seed with their resume I do not know. Not saying they can't beat us, but I just don't understand that with their body of work.

Agreed. It's almost impossible to rationalize. Thankfully, their over-seeing may actually work to the Deacs benefit.

FWIW, in Baseball America's latest mock draft, BA says that both the Mets and Yankees are "looking hard" at taking Will Craig in the first round. They project Craig going to the Mets with the #19 pick in round 1. Also, the projected #1 overall pick right now is HS OF Mickey Moniak out of San Diego.

Last edited:
Back