• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Defensive Coordinator Search

The powers that be at Clemson gave Tammy Bowden's job to a position coach (Dabo) and not even a coordinator after the Deacs beat Clemson 12-7 back in 08. I mean the goal was just to keep the seat warm until we find a bigger name and of course digest the huge buyout they had for Bowden.

Let's not be stupid and think a coach is superior because he landed a job at Auburn or Minnesota or some other Power V school.

When Mike Bellotti hired Chip Kelly as OC he was coaching at New Hampshire; Kelly elevated Oregon to the top of the college game. Penn State's offense had sucked under James Franklin; then this year, he hired Joe Morehead out of Fordham as the OC, and Penn State's offense became dominant by the end of the season. Texas Tech hired Art Briles out of Texas HS football, and he proved to be one of the most innovative minds in the sport. Everyone loves Matt Patricia, the Pat's DC, as the next great NFL defensive football mind. Syracuse hired Patricia out of Amherst college where he was DL coach.

Mike Leach, who IMO is the most innovative coach in college football in the last 25 years, was hired to be the Kentucky OC out of Valdosta State. The best coaches are often not at the Power V level where politics and connections often decides who gets jobs.

Have full faith in Clawson who played D3 football, and worked his way up the ranks, to find the best football minds to coach on his staff regardless if they are coaching at Alabama or Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute.

What is this post in response to?

I assume he was looking for job security. Better to leave now than be fired next year and be damaged goods.

That or he knew as long as he was at Auburn Malzahn would get credit for anything he accomplished.

Let's not be stupid and think a coach is superior because he landed a job at Auburn or Minnesota or some other Power V school.

When Mike Bellotti hired Chip Kelly as OC he was coaching at New Hampshire; Kelly elevated Oregon to the top of the college game. Penn State's offense had sucked under James Franklin; then this year, he hired Joe Morehead out of Fordham as the OC, and Penn State's offense became dominant by the end of the season. Texas Tech hired Art Briles out of Texas HS football, and he proved to be one of the most innovative minds in the sport. Everyone loves Matt Patricia, the Pat's DC, as the next great NFL defensive football mind. Syracuse hired Patricia out of Amherst college where he was DL coach.

Mike Leach, who IMO is the most innovative coach in college football in the last 25 years, was hired to be the Kentucky OC out of Valdosta State. The best coaches are often not at the Power V level where politics and connections often decides who gets jobs.

Have full faith in Clawson who played D3 football, and worked his way up the ranks, to find the best football minds to coach on his staff regardless if they are coaching at Alabama or Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute.

Great post.

Mike Houston is the JMU head coach but he came up as a DC (and from NC). I bet he gets a P5 DC shot before long. He'll make more money than as an FCS HC. He's intense, that's for sure.

Last edited:
Mike Houston is the JMU head coach but he came up as a DC (and from NC). I bet he gets a P5 DC shot before long. He'll make more money than as an FCS HC. He's intense, that's for sure.

Did a heck of job at JMU. Don't know if he would leave there for the Deacs

Have no idea what most FCS coaches make but DC's and OC's at power schools make a lot of money. Would be surprised if FCS coaches make that kind of coin.

Also, in the small world related to WF department, when WF hired Clawson in late 2013, one of his first coaching hires was Kevin Higgins the head coach at Citadel. Higgins had been the head coach at Citadel for 9 years, and was the Southern Conference COY in 2012. Citadel replaced Higgins with Mike Houston (who had been coaching Lenior-Rhyne). Houston stayed at Citadel two years then got the JMU job, and won the Natty in his first year. Would think that Clawson, Higgins and Houston are all pretty familiar with each other.

That said, winning an NC at the FCS level often leads to a head job at FBS level (Mike London, Craig Bohl won big at ND State got the Wyoming job); so, would think Houston's next move will be a head FBS job.

Last edited:
Have no idea what most FCS coaches make but DC's and OC's at power schools make a lot of money. Would be surprised if FCS coaches make that kind of coin.

Also, in the small world related to WF department, when WF hired Clawson in late 2013, one of his first coaching hires was Kevin Higgins the head coach at Citadel. Higgins had been the head coach at Citadel for 9 years, and was the Southern Conference COY in 2012. Citadel replaced Higgins with Mike Houston (who had been coaching Lenior-Rhyne). Houston stayed at Citadel two years then got the JMU job, and won the Natty in his first year. Would think that Clawson, Higgins and Houston are all pretty familiar with each other.

I agree. But I am thinking that it is about time to get this thing done. Maybe DC had to wait for JMU to finish its season before approaching Houston-- I have no idea, just know we need to get the staff in place before Monday

More important to hire the right guy than to rush and hire/promote the wrong guy.

I agree. But I am thinking that it is about time to get this thing done. Maybe DC had to wait for JMU to finish its season before approaching Houston-- I have no idea, just know we need to get the staff in place before Monday

Agree it's about time and I would be very happy with Houston.

This whole DC thing is somewhat confusing........every time I see DC in these messages, I have to figure out if we're talking about Defensive Coordinator or Dave Clawson. DC is searching for a DC.
Is it only me?

Bizarre. He took a $250k pay cut, which indicates he was forced out, but Auburn offense actually performed quite well once he took over play calling from Malzahn.

Couple things at play here the best I can tell

1. He is the sacrificial lamb. Auburn D was impressive this year. Offense not quite so much. Someone had to go.
2. If things aren't better next year Auburn may be looking at a coaching change (right or wrong is debatable) and Lashlee may want to get out ahead of the storm
3. He likely has ambitions as a head coach and needs to get out from under Malzahn's shadow to showcase his own abilities.

Agree it's about time and I would be very happy with Houston.

This whole DC thing is somewhat confusing........every time I see DC in these messages, I have to figure out if we're talking about Defensive Coordinator or Dave Clawson. DC is searching for a DC.
Is it only me?

Could always do DC for defensive coordinator and CDC for Coach Dave Clawson.

Is it possible that we have already hired the DC (Cohen or Hemphill) therefore there is no news/rumors. I'm sure now that recruiting is active, the recruits are being told who their D.C. Will be or most likely be.

Basically, is it being kept "close to the vest" because there is no need to report since it's already happened?

MAKES YOU WAAAANDER

We've still only hired two people for three open positions.

Could always do DC for defensive coordinator and CDC for Coach Dave Clawson.

Don't change anything. I'll manage. This will be over soon.

Although it would be really confusing if we hired a DC with the initials DC.

This is reminding me when we had 2 (or 3) players named Josh Harris

Is it possible that we have already hired the DC (Cohen or Hemphill) therefore there is no news/rumors. I'm sure now that recruiting is active, the recruits are being told who their D.C. Will be or most likely be.

Basically, is it being kept "close to the vest" because there is no need to report since it's already happened?

MAKES YOU WAAAANDER

What would be the point of that?

Back