• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Sources are saying State will fire Gott at end of year.

Gott is coaching it out. Weird:

So Gott is going to continue coaching but won't return next year? I didn't think they could botch this even more.

Beyond stupid. Jesus Christ Debbie. How do you come up with that as the best solution.

Just to remind everyone, Gottfriend was one of several coaches that were heavily rumored to have reached out to our incoming recruiting class a day or two after Skip's death. I cannot remember if that was Teague/Johnnson or Aminu/Woods/Walker, but Aminu/Woods/Walker makes more sense as they were within shouting distance of Alabama (Aminu and Woods were both from Atlanta, if I am not mistaken).

Anyway, that was the rumor at the time and I believe at some point Seth Greenberg indirectly confirmed it sort of, by pointing out his rumored troubles at Bama where he got fired mid-season were not the only scumbag reputation talking points discussed in private amongst coaches.

Really glad it was us that drove the last or second to last nail in his coffin. Karma's a bitch.

You thought Pitino was 70?
Crazy, right?
ce47c44c02fffd5ec82eb873aa5daacb.gif

I (and hopefully the none monkey board NCSU fans) realize that. But at some point Dorean has to win games. His best wins to date were the last two games of last season @UNC and the bowl game where we crushed Vandy. He needs to pick a win up over a legit good team at some point and given everything coming back it should be next year if Dorean is any kind of coach that's going to get the job done at NCSU. Other than no big wins he fits the NCSU community and every other check box I could ask for in a coach.

He should have had a win at Clemson. But point taken.

Can't recall a fired coach being allowed to finish out a season. Is there precedent for this?

The most State thing ever would be them going on to win the ACC tourney w/ a coach they fired

His son took to Twitter and I hate him for it. Showed NCAA appearances by acc school in tournament last five years

Last edited:
His players seem to hate him, so I wouldn't worry so much about an ACC title.

Thanks. I guess I vaguely remember that. That wasn't more than a game though, right?

Wikipedia says he was fired on Oct. 22, 2006 and was allowed to finish out the season. Of course, the next game after he was fired was against us (the famous Jon Abbate interception in the end zone on the last play of the game to preserve a 24-17 victory--I was at Kenan Stadium that glorious day).

I also remember being disappointed that they didn't wait one more week to fire him so that we could take the credit for getting him canned.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Back