• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Sources are saying State will fire Gott at end of year.

Matta's seat may be warming but he's likely to be back next year. Matta's protégé, John Groce, OTOH, is a dead man walking at Illinois, and there are plenty of Illinois fans who believe (or perhaps hope) that Archie Miller will be at or near the top of the Illini's list. Groce has a terrific recruiting class signed for next year which may make the Illinois job that much more appealing, assuming the next coach is able to keep the class together.
Illinois feels like the NC State of the Midwest. Both think wayyy too highly of their sports programs.

I was wrong with my ages of coaches... I thought Calipari was much older than 58 and Pitino older than 64. I had them both 6 years older in my mind. Maybe, like the presidency, being a head college basketball ages the hell out of you.

You thought Pitino was 70?

Illinois feels like the NC State of the Midwest. Both think wayyy too highly of their sports programs.

Maybe but you also seem to think everyone but Patriots fans think too highly of themselves

From 2001 through 2005, Illinois was a dominant program. 4 Big 10 titles in 5 years. The 2005 team went 37-2 losing to UNC in the National Championship. All five starters including NBA All-Star Deron Williams played in the NBA. Bill Self built the program (left for KS after the 2002-3 season), but Bruce Weber could not build on their success. Given the talent that Illinois produces with very little in-state competition for talent, really makes no sense why Illinois basketball has been so down in recent years. Got to kill Illinois that Northwestern is clearly the better program right now.

I do wonder how she's been able to comfortably dictate the terms of her own retirement, given that she's been not particularly competitive in a competitive industry for 20 years. Her handling of the Gary Williams relationship and the financial troubles at Maryland might have been enough to get somebody else fired (I don't recall exactly what led to the Fridge moving on, but that was about the same time, IIRC), and then she gets to NC State and...let's just say the mediocrity marches on. She cans TOB and replaces him with a guy who hasn't been able to sustain the success of his fired predecessor, and she launches a tantrum halfway through the last coaching search, resulting in a memo blaming Gary Williams for her inability to land her targets (as though that isn't the way it always is for N.C. State), and she can't let the conspiracy theory go during the press conference introducing her panic hire Gottfried. "Hello, everyone, this is your new coach, but he's not really my fault." Gee, thanks, boss.

If she can't even deliver an N.C. State alum to N.C. State to replace her last failed hire, how is she not the next one fired?

The answer is her fanbase elevates her tantrums and grandstanding over holding her to realistic expectations. She bloodied Karl Hess and rubbed the League's nose in it. I can't think of another apparent accomplishment for her tenure. Anybody could have spent Clemson and Florida State's money fixing up an old gym. Slow clap. Win something. Anything.

Once again you have no idea what you are talking about with regards to NCSU/Debbie Yow. Yow gets blamed for MD financial struggles and I won't try to pretend that I know what happened there but it seems to me like she built a great infrastructure for the fans/program and then the fans stopped supporting the teams after a couple of rough seasons. The bottoming out of the economy also didn't help. Nobody talks about the hole MD was in when Yow started.

In all aspects of her job Yow has been a really good hire for NCSU. Yow has decreased the NCSU Athletic Departments debt by over $10 Million while also building an indoor practice facility, completely redoing Reynolds Coliseum, and having a state of the art basketball players dorm on the horizon. This doesn't even include renovations to the Football and Baseball stadiums. And now lets look at the NCSU Directors Cup standing since she was hired:

Fall 2016: 7th
2015-16: 32nd
2014-15: 27th
2013-14: 41st
2012-13: 34th
2011-12: 37th
2010-11: 67th
2009-10: 89th

Football has been as average as we have ever been (but going to be good in 2017 it looks like) and Basketball is a mess (still 4 tourneys and 2 sweet 16s the last 6 years). The issues with here two basketball coaching searches are a huge issue but its completely disengenuos to say that Yow has been a bad AD.

Groce was on one of our 'we want him for a coach' list at one point.

Once again you have no idea what you are talking about with regards to NCSU/Debbie Yow. Yow gets blamed for MD financial struggles and I won't try to pretend that I know what happened there but it seems to me like she built a great infrastructure for the fans/program and then the fans stopped supporting the teams after a couple of rough seasons. The bottoming out of the economy also didn't help. Nobody talks about the hole MD was in when Yow started.

In all aspects of her job Yow has been a really good hire for NCSU. Yow has decreased the NCSU Athletic Departments debt by over $10 Million while also building an indoor practice facility, completely redoing Reynolds Coliseum, and having a state of the art basketball players dorm on the horizon. This doesn't even include renovations to the Football and Baseball stadiums. And now lets look at the NCSU Directors Cup standing since she was hired:

Fall 2016: 7th
2015-16: 32nd
2014-15: 27th
2013-14: 41st
2012-13: 34th
2011-12: 37th
2010-11: 67th
2009-10: 89th

Football has been as average as we have ever been (but going to be good in 2017 it looks like) and Basketball is a mess (still 4 tourneys and 2 sweet 16s the last 6 years). The issues with here two basketball coaching searches are a huge issue but its completely disengenuos to say that Yow has been a bad AD.

One day you'll wake up, but until then I will pray for you

One day you'll wake up, but until then I will pray for you

I know that you are talking more about my Yow/MD takes but please give me something concrete to show that Yow hasn't improved the athletics at NCSU since she's taken over?

Jeff Goodman really likes to stick it it to State fans for some reason. Says he'll change his avatar for a month to an NC State related photo if Miller goes to State.

gott may have fucked his wife as well or something, dude hates Gott more than any state fan

He may not coach another game after tonight impressive display. Woof

Back