• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

March Madness Thread

Wisconsin has gotten almost every bounce this half.

This game was very similar to ours. Wisconsin was in control most of the way, but VT had several opportunities to get the lead, but just couldn't do it.

I wonder what % of ACC players go on to play professionally overseas? Seems like a lot.

Hope Buzz takes off his vest before leday cries into his shoulder after the game, tears ruin suede.

I really don't get the Buzz Williams adoration from this board.

Even if you can get past his goofy antics and moronic appearance waddling around the floor in his Dino-level gangster suit, he just spent VaTech's entire season running a gimmick by bringing his two best players off the bench instead of starting them. You could easily argue it cost them a couple ACC wins, drawing a much tougher NCAA opponent than they should have had. And that was despite a random bench player taking a starting role and catching fire to a historic degree for 5+ games from deep.

Squandered season from VaTech. Way too much talent to bow out quietly in the first round. They won 10 ACC games last year to our 2 and we essentially had the same season.

Even if you can get past his goofy antics and moronic appearance waddling around the floor in his Dino-level gangster suit, he just spent VaTech's entire season running a gimmick by bringing his two best players off the bench instead of starting them. You could easily argue it cost them a couple ACC wins, drawing a much tougher NCAA opponent than they should have had. And that was despite a random bench player taking a starting role and catching fire to a historic degree for 5+ games from deep.

Squandered season from VaTech. Way too much talent to bow out quietly in the first round. They won 10 ACC games last year to our 2 and we essentially had the same season.

They had a few key injuries, he inherited a terrible situation and turned it around pretty quickly. Seems like a good dude. Not sure what's not to like.

Wisconsin is better than VaTech. That's not a surprising loss, Hokies were a 5-6 pt underdog.

Someone says this every year. Wake has standards, lax though they may be for elite athletes.

Giles would make some of these guys look like rocket scientists.

LOL. The old academics excuse.

:wtf:

You could easily argue it cost them a couple ACC wins? OK, then do so.

LeDay and Allen each averaged around 29 minutes a game - more than Collins did. Who cares who starts? VT was in a worse situation than Wake when Buzz took over. Don't get how you could be so high on Manning but be so critical of Buzz at the same time. Both are doing a good job, all things considered.

Entertaining games if not the upsets.

FSU plays so fuckin' dumb

LeDay and Allen each averaged around 29 minutes a game - more than Collins did. Who cares who starts? VT was in a worse situation than Wake when Buzz took over. Don't get how you could be so high on Manning but be so critical of Buzz at the same time. Both are doing a good job, all things considered.

One went from 2 ACC wins to 9. The other went from 10 to.. 10. Buzz underachieved and Manning overachieved, based on their roster. I don't really think that's arguable based on literally every single pre-season evaluation.

As for the "then do so" comment, that's pretty easy. If benching your best players out of the gate and then making up for the lost minutes later in the game is a better strategy than starting your best 5, please list the successful teams who benched their top 2 players. I can think of a few rare examples where a 6th man was better than his starting counterpart, but I can't think of any team that intentionally started games by putting out 2 non-starters. That's likely a better argument than the simple reality that you are intentionally countering your opponent's best 5 players with only 3 of your best 5 to start the game. Decades of basketball theory say starters matter, but that's boring I guess.

If Manning won 10 ACC games last year and brought back that level of talent, these boards would be ROASTING him for a first round exit and only one ACC tourney win. Hell, some posters are giving him a C rating for THIS year.

They had a few key injuries, he inherited a terrible situation and turned it around pretty quickly. Seems like a good dude. Not sure what's not to like.

Word

there was no situation worse than [Redacted]

So what's the magic number? How many of your starters should you bench if you can still get them 29 minutes? Is 2 the answer? 3? How about all 5? Is the ideal scenario benching them for the first 10 and then playing your best 5 players for the last 30 minutes straight?

What's the benefit?

Regarding Va Tech, 10 ACC wins might be a tough plateau to improve upon without adding impact freshman. We were clearly better this year, and that's why we improved so much. The Hokies looked like the same team as the previous season.

I went 15-1 on Thursday in my pool. Only loss was Md.-Xavier. In retrospect, I probably should have taken X since I haven't seen Md. play this year, and was pretty much going on last year's team. I was extremely lucky that Vanderbilt gave the game to Northwestern since I have NW upsetting Gonzaga and then beating Notre Dame.

However, Friday is another day.

Last edited:
One went from 2 ACC wins to 9. The other went from 10 to.. 10. Buzz underachieved and Manning overachieved, based on their roster. I don't really think that's arguable based on literally every single pre-season evaluation.

As for the "then do so" comment, that's pretty easy. If benching your best players out of the gate and then making up for the lost minutes later in the game is a better strategy than starting your best 5, please list the successful teams who benched their top 2 players. I can think of a few rare examples where a 6th man was better than his starting counterpart, but I can't think of any team that intentionally started games by putting out 2 non-starters. That's likely a better argument than the simple reality that you are intentionally countering your opponent's best 5 players with only 3 of your best 5 to start the game. Decades of basketball theory say starters matter, but that's boring I guess.

If Manning won 10 ACC games last year and brought back that level of talent, these boards would be ROASTING him for a first round exit and only one ACC tourney win. Hell, some posters are giving him a C rating for THIS year.

Or Buzz overachieved last year and couldn't get much more out of a fairly limited roster while Manning underachieved last year and couldn't help but go up.

Note that I wouldn't want Buzz as our coach. I don't love the public image he presents, and he had some player control issues at Marquette, but he is clearly a really good coach. His record at Marquette was excellent, and he has done a great job of turning around VT very quickly.

Last edited:
I think that later today I may do something I've never done, and start a thread about the NCAAT minus all the Manning hate. You guys bore the shit out of me.

Edit: I think I did start one when I first came to this board, primarily to give RJ shit.

Last edited:
Back