• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Celebrity Encounters

Reaction score
In this thread, we post stories or photos of celebrities we've encountered in everyday life. Took a photo with Bill Murray on the street in your hometown and think no one will ever believe you? This is the thread for you, my friend. Posrep if you harassed them enough to demand a photo.

I can't remember ever meeting a real celebrity until last April, when I was waiting to check in for a Southwest flight from Raleigh to Las Vegas. I hear something going on behind me and turn around to find head coach of the Chicago Bears Lovie Smith and Asst. Head Coach/Defensive Coordinator Rod Marinelli. I spoke to Lovie for a minute, asked him about how worried I should be that Rex Grossman was going to be the Skins QB the coming season and mentioned that I was a fan of Desmond Clark etc. Really nice guy. Didn't want to bother him too long but got someone in line to snap a quick (and kind of out of focus) photo.

Qwhxz.jpg

So Pit, who ya got?

eta: come to think of it, Sidney Lowe was on my flight back home, Phoenix to Raleigh, as well.

When I went to Chicago last year I ran into LeBron (there for the ECF), Will and Jada Smith, Rosie O' Donnell, and Kelsey Grammar in a matter of days. Got to talk to LBJ but that story has been documented here elsewhere.

I let some 60 year old basketball coach from North Carolina blow me after some basketball tournament here in Atlanta a couple of weeks ago. I couldn't wait to nut and get out of there.

Most of mine are athletes/coaches or politicians.

Athletes/Coaches: Dean Smith, Coach K, Chris Paul, Muggsy, Christian Laetnner, Tom Glavine, etc. Keith Primeau lived up the street from me as a kid and Trevor kid lived on the same street as one of my friends and played roller/street hockey with us a few times.

ETA: Met Dale Earnhardt, Mark Martin and Jeff Gordon as well. Also met Carrie Underwood at a race several years ago. She looks GREAT in person.

My parents had the one I am most jealous of- they went to an even and sat at the same table as Hank Aaron's wife. My mom mentioned I was a huge Braves fan and so she introduced my parents to Hank and got a hat autographed for me.

Politicians: Bill Clinton, Al Gore, John Edwards, and (not as big a deal) Jim Hunt, Mike Easley, Bev Perdue, etc.

I also saw Tim Robbins leaving a Hurricanes game one time.

One of my buddies sat on a ski lift with Kathy Ireland back in the 90s.

Last edited:
Lived down the street from Tim Burton and Helena Bonham Carter when at Worrell House. Bought them a drink at the Washington one night. It was as bizarrely awesome as you would expect.

David Cross was at the table next to us at Macondo in NYC.

But this thread is rjkarlbatsignal

Most of mine are athletes/coaches or politicians.

Athletes/Coaches: Dean Smith, Coach K, Chris Paul, Muggsy, Christian Laetnner, Tom Glavine, etc. Keith Primeau lived up the street from me as a kid and Trevor kid lived on the same street as one of my friends and played roller/street hockey with us a few times.

My parents had the one I am most jealous of- they went to an even and sat at the same table as Hank Aaron's wife. My mom mentioned I was a huge Braves fan and so she introduced my parents to Hank and got a hat autographed for me.

Politicians: Bill Clinton, Al Gore, John Edwards, and (not as big a deal) Jim Hunt, Mike Easley, Bev Perdue, etc.

I also saw Tim Robbins leaving a Hurricanes game one time.

One of my buddies sat on a ski lift with Kathy Ireland back in the 90s.

I met Hank when I was a little kid.

Lived down the street from Tim Burton and Helena Bonham Carter when at Worrell House. Bought them a drink at the Washington one night. It was as bizarrely awesome as you would expect.

David Cross was at the table next to us at Macondo in NYC.

But this thread is rjkarlbatsignal

Are they as weird in real life I imagine?

drank beer and actually had random bar talk for multiple hours with keith richards at the following south beach dive
macsclubdeuce-lg.jpg

other than the birth of my kids (and perhaps my wedding but not really) it was the highlight of my life

palma and i stood next to james caan this past weekend while we were waiting for our cars after the clippers game.

i also went to sunday school with dale jr. growing up, not sure if that one counts.

palma and i stood next to james caan this past weekend while we were waiting for our cars after the clippers game.

i also went to sunday school with dale jr. growing up, not sure if that one counts.

That most certainly counts, unless you are saying it shouldn't because he wasn't famous yet.

Also, are you older than I thought? Jr. is 37.

I'm the blonde dude directly next to MIA's butt

MIA-@-Virgin-Fest-24631.jpg

I held the Polo dorm door for CP3 and JGray once; they had just got back from the WV loss.

I held the Polo dorm door for CP3 and JGray once; they had just got back from the WV loss.

Somewhat similarly, I ran into Bobby Hurley and Kenny Blakeney at Brightleaf Square in Durham 36 hours after they lost to Southern Illinois in the first round of the 1993 tournament.

The only celebs I've met are Shane McMahon, who is a client of mine, and Roger Staubach, who was the QB for my dad's Navy reserves flag football team when I was growing up (it wasn't really fair to the other teams).

Somewhat similarly, I ran into Bobby Hurley and Kenny Blakeney at Brightleaf Square in Durham 36 hours after they lost to Southern Illinois in the first round of the 1993 tournament.

buddy of mine almost got in a fight with christian laettner at crazy zack's in 1992 (post exams). grant hill calmed things down

I rode an elevator at the Ritz Carlton near Bourbon St in NO with Sean Penn when he was down there filming All the King's Men.

Also was right by Drew Barrymore and Justin Long at a bar in NYC (they were both tiny in person).

Have twice been seated near famous people at Michel Richard's Central in DC (Giada DeLaurentis and Fred Thompson).

Had a picture taken with James Carville when I was volunteering for a campaign in Richmond.

I guess most of my celebrity brushes (of which there are not many) have just involved me seeing people and not actually talking to them. The one I did genuinely have interaction with was Ben Jones (aka Cooter from the Dukes of Hazzard). He was a Congressman from Georgia back in the day, and then was running for Congress in Virginia in 2002. I volunteered on his campaign that summer and got to walk in a parade with the General Lee!

Spent 10 mins talking to Steven Colbert at a Starbucks in Mount Pleasant. Nice guy.

Besides that I saw Tim Duncan at the old Pizza Hut on Reynolda about a hundred times. I used to crush books in elementary school, and had a free personal pan pizza like every week. I feel like Timmy was always there.

Last edited:
I drank beer with Gervais from one of the early Survivors. Ted on one of the later Survivors was previously my manager.
I went to high school with Rusty LaRue, his wife, and her smokin hot younger sister.
I worked security for the Indigo Girls concert in Wait Chapel, and when Gerald Ford came to a Secrest Artists show.
I met Ben Stein at a conference in San Fran.
David Carradine was at my wedding.
I was in a movie with Ron Perlman.
I used to live down the street from Gayle King.
I had the chance to break a beer glass over the shooting hand of Brendon Haywood before the Wake game but didn't :(
Edit: also delivered room service to Willie Nelson in high school.

Last edited:
Back