• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Celebrity Encounters

Not too much here. Before he transferred to OU, Brent Price coached my basketball team when I was in elementary school, Mark Price usually came to the end of the season awards banquet or sometime during the year to talk to us. I'd have to rummage through my mom's house to find pictures. I was in the airport security line at GSO with Tubby Smith last summer - hoping he was talking to Wellman, but probably just back visiting HPU. A few other sports people, but nothing more than a 30 second conversation.

I met Sorrell Booke and James Best (Boss Hogg and Sheriff Roscoe P. Coltrain for you youngsters) a couple of times. Best had a house out on lake Murray and became an artist after Dukes of Hazzard finished up.

My wife babysat Chris Evans and my brother in law was on his baseball team. He said he was a cool guy, but my BIL felt bad for him b/c he showed up at their 10 year reunion and the townies just tried to start fights with him and show up the "big hollywood star."

seeing dot com's post, I did talk to Amy Ray for a good bit at the Starbucks on Battleground in GSO. She's up here a good bit to work with a producer/bassist whose name I forgot.

all of my celebrity encounters have been with NBA players. and most came about due to my working as a trainer with the football team.

I had the most awkward elevator ride with Muggsy Bogues in the team hotel at the Orange Bowl

Took a picture with Dwayne Wade before the coin flip at the Orange Bowl

Gave J-Ho some ankle braces one summer when he came into our training room.

Got kicked out of a bar for almost getting into a fight with Sean May in Charlotte the week of the Car Care Bowl. (and by almost getting into a fight i mean Sean May probably would have sat on me and crushed me).

Walked by CHarles Barkley on the street in NYC last year and just said 'Whats up' as we walked by. The best thing about that was the people I was with don't care about sports and didnt know who he was and when I said it was Charles Barkley one of the girls in the group claimed that it wasn't because she knows what the guy who sings 'Crazy' looks like.

I sat at the bar with some friends to watch a bball game one afternoon and Paula from the Real World / Road Rules challenges was our bartender. It took me about an hour of "hmmm.... she looks so familiar but I can't figure out who she is...." before I figured it out. She was nice and gave us a free round of drinks.

I feel like we have had this thread numerous times on prior incarnations of this board.

I lived next to Gordie Howe when I was growing up.

In high school I caddied for Sean Astin, Mike Eruzione, Evan Bayh, and in the same group with Dan Quayle.

I used to attend the same church as Bob Griese's wife's family and he would attend from time to time.

Met Catfish Hunter at a HS football game as a kid.
Got Richard Petty's autograph at a formal autograph signing as a kid.
Met Terrell Davis at American Pie in Atlanta a few days after he was named Super Bowl MVP. He asked me if I wanted to try on his Super Bowl ring.
Hung out with Rony Seikley at a bar in South Beach.
Sat next to the guitarist for The Gap Band on a flight to LA. I didn't meet the lead singer because he flew in first class.
Saw Michael Stipe at The Globe in Athens, GA but I didn't get a chance to talk to him. The following night, he appeared on Saturday Night Live with REM wearing the same red hooded sweatshirt that he wore at the Globe.
Met various politicians including Newt Gingrich, William Bennett, and Jesse Helms when I worked in DC one summer in college. When I told Helms that I attended WFU, he very earnestly said "I'm proud of you, son".
Met Coach K walking on the beach at Pine Knoll Shores.
Country music singer John Berry was friends with my former boss, and he came to the office one afternoon to show off his new Harley Fatboy bike.

Forgot I also met Trace Adkins when we had him as a speaker at a press conference for the organization I worked for. Got a picture with him and hung out in a small group for a bit. Very nice guy.

Also forgot I had some Cooter pictures (no, not that cooter...)

181_513610917513_7209706_31669765_5103_n.jpg

181_513610922503_7209706_31669766_5382_n.jpg

Cooter for Congress was a fun slogan

I had lunch once with Moonzz and Go. Bitches were all over our jocks asking for autographs and pictures and shit. It was amazing. I was just happy they let me coattail on their stank.

David Byrne stood right next to us at a Beach House show in Brooklyn. I played pickup against CP3 in high school (his cousin lived a few houses down from wakephan09).

I was going to see White Chicks at a theater in Boston and Matt Damon was there promoting one of the bourne movies. There were a bunch of girls asking him to sign stuff and I just ran to the front of the line and yelled "MATT DAMON, SIGN MY BOOB". Does this count as a celebrity encounter?

Rode the elevator with Mia Hamm at the Carolina Inn. My wife asked her for a smoke.

oh that reminds i ran into Mia and Nomar in Raleigh this past summer. my sister works at a pretty upscale salon there and i went in to get my haircut. my last name is also Hamm so when i went to the counter i told them my name and who i was there to see and they were a little confused because my sister is married and has a new last name obviously. well when my sister comes up to get me i tell her that her receptionist didnt realize her name used to be Hamm and was goign on and on about the name Hamm, and then out of no where Mia and Nomar walk up to the counter to pay (Nomar had just had his hair did) and were obviously trying not to be noticed.

That most certainly counts, unless you are saying it shouldn't because he wasn't famous yet.

Also, are you older than I thought? Jr. is 37.

Nah... he's almost 10 yrs older but they put all the kids in the same class for awhile and then had the high schoolers teach the rugrats for awhile. He never really left Mooresville for college or anythimg (unless you count the years he went to military school). I'm much closer in age to his little sister Taylor.

palma and i stood next to james caan this past weekend while we were waiting for our cars after the clippers game.

i also went to sunday school with dale jr. growing up, not sure if that one counts.

Even Palma towers over James Caan.....

Sat at table next to Stacy Keibler at Koi in LA one night. David Spade and Heather Locklear were also at the resto that night.

Was at the bar at Delano drinking when Lohan was there.

Was at another party in Miami with Brody Jenner, Steve-O and Lance Bass.

Last May was at the Strokes show at MSG and was in the beer line with Chuck Bass.

Erin Andrews got her hair did in the chair next to me at the place I go to in the A a few months back.

Last wednesday night had dinner at Sylvain in NOLA and sat next to Steve Zahn and Kim Dickens of Treme

Somewhat similarly, I ran into Bobby Hurley and Kenny Blakeney at Brightleaf Square in Durham 36 hours after they lost to Southern Illinois in the first round of the 1993 tournament.

I'd like to thank whoever negrepped me with this:
Dude, they lost to Cal that year in like the Sweet 16

Yes, they did lose to Cal, in the second round, two days after beating SIU in the first round. I actually ran into Hurley and Blakeney the morning after the loss. So really, thanks for correcting me, since it was only 19 fucking years ago.

What I've always wondered is, how well known is Wake Forest among non-sports celebrities? You'd hope we'd be a household name all across the country, and if you have any interaction with the world of academia, you certainly know us because we're a top-25 school. But let's face it, there are a lot of people who haven't heard of us or who confuse us with Lake Forest. Presumably if celebrities filled out a bracket in the last decade, they know who Wake Forest is. But we're still not a universally instantly recognizable entity. How many know that Wake Forest is a university in Winston-Salem, NC?

CP3 is at least doing his best to get the word out among the clueless glitterati in Hollywood. Not that it ultimately matters.

I saw Jeffrey Tambor not too long ago eating an ice cream cone in the Meatpacking district.

Back