• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Celebrity Encounters

Bernard Purdie ("most recorded drummer in the world") - opened for him at Ziggy's and then got an invitation to come by his "road wife's" house the next day to talk drums. fucking awesome
Dave Matthews Band - opened for them once when they were on the college circuit circa '92 or '93, sorta stood around with all of the band except dave preshow and ate sandwiches and drank beers from the craft service table
Hootie & Blowfish - same as above
Edwin McCain - same as above
Steve Morse - attended a clinic he gave and then walked over to Ziggy's with him and he talked about his plane he flew himself in on. Watched the Dixie Dregs soundcheck. Met and talked at clinics with Dennis Chambers, Terry Bozzio, Rod Morgenstein.
Widespread Panic guys- set their rental skis at Beech Mountain when I was in college, hung out with David Schools mostly as he was NOT into skiing and wanted to hang in the warmth of the rental shop
John Popper- stood there while my friend sold him a bag of weed at App gig
Scott Baio - bummed a cigarette from me in LA once
went to a party in LA attended by Drew Barrymore, the Strokes, Orlando Bloom, Jason Schwartzman, and a bunch of other celebrities my wife pointed out. Didn't really talk to any of them except Bloom
Chris Paul, Tim Duncan, Josh Howard, Muggsy, etc.
Joe Namath signed the cast on my broken arm when I was 6 at a ribbon cutting in Clemmons I believe
probably a couple more I can't remember

edit: David Byrne at SECCA in W-S. Stuck out my hand and said "I'm john" and he just said "that's good" and walked away.

Last edited:
drank beer and actually had random bar talk for multiple hours with keith richards at the following south beach dive
macsclubdeuce-lg.jpg

other than the birth of my kids (and perhaps my wedding but not really) it was the highlight of my life

get the fuck out milhouse. Keef? multiple hours?

my uncle (by marriage) was the original drummer for the outlaws (a semi-famous rock band from tampa). he's pretty monte.

I was at Carlos & Charlies on Sunset (it used to be across the street from where Myagi's is today). Purple Rain was out. I was dancing with my girlfriend. After we finished Prince's bodyguard Rosie(the giant black guy not Mountain Man) came up to me and said my girlfriend (5'7 about 115) has been bumping into his boss a lot. He asked if I could figure out a way that wouldn't happen any longer.

Next we were dancing, as she got closer to Prince, I moved her away from him. Prince smiled. Later that night, Rosie said,"Hey man, I've got your back".

Palma, Misty May used to hanout at The Longboard.

The first or second week of January I was at a wedding in Charleston and ran in to Terry Serpico. Our exchange went something like this:

Me: Hey, aren't you an actor?
Terry Serpico: I'm an actor by trade.
Me: What movie would I recognize you from?
Terry Serpico: I mean... I've been in 27 feature roles...but maybe Michael Clayton?!

This is as he was leaving the place. Pretty freaking hard to talk to him otherwise because he was camped in some broad's mouth for 45 minutes. INTENSE MO sesh that moved from the front bar to the back one.

terryserpico2.jpg

Watched Mario Williams step off a flight from Houston in RDU with his Mom the day after he was drafted back in 2006. I remember thinking how huge the guy was. A few people hounded him for autographs, I thought the timing was cool, day after draft day.

Ran into him about 2-3 years later at a club in Houston. Pretty new upscale place, there was a guy there in a tshirt (!) in a VIP section. Buddy of mine says "that's gotta be a Texans player." We didn't recognize him. Sure enough, about 15 mins later, Mario Williams comes in with 4 hotties in tow to that table. A guy beside me asks, "Is that Vince Young?" SMH....

Have seen a few guys jogging here at memorial park. David Carr (back in 2006), Evander Holyfield (guy was REALLY short) with his bodyguard (?), Clyde the Glide Drexler (had a hat pulled down, incognito, knew it was prob a bball player, sure enough...). Saw Emeka Okafor in a Starbucks here as well, turns out he's from here and his bro played at UofH.

Last year was on a flight to London with a local TV anchor and her husband (ok not really famous), return trip sat 5 feet beside David Hasselhoff and one of his sons. Seems like no one bothered him. Seemed very nice and cordial when boarding, took me a few seconds to place the voice I overheard while I was settling into my seat. Holy crap that's DH! Should have gotten a pic and autograph....

My old HS coach knows a TON of NC basketball peeps. Was with him when he spoke to David Thompson at the ACC Tourney in Atlanta a couple years back. But of course you always see the legends at the tourney.

For the Wes Miller fans, he was out here at the NCAA Final Four last April, Coach spoke with him a few mins; we ran into him and a couple assts going into a Rockets game on that Sunday.

Friend of mine knows Hakeem Olajuwon through another friend, he played pickup ball with him once. Coincidentally he and I were at IAH going for a flight, Hakeem was getting a bagel or coffee or something in the airport. They spoke for a minute or two. That guy definitely stands out, super TALL!

May be a few more I've forgotten.

Oh, and used to play pick up ball with Rusty LaRue at the HanesMill YMCA back in 2005. I'm guessing he was mid 30s at that point? Having played with lots of former college players, LaRue was by FAR the quickest guy I've ever played with. Also played up there with Mike Drum while he was still at Presbyterian during the summers. Very solid player.

Last edited:
The one I usually tell when this thread gets recycled is a story from a few years ago when walking outside Minute Maid Park for the All-Star Game in Houston. I caught the twins from Cheap Seats (Randy and Jason Sklar) out of the corner of my eye and did a double take to make sure. One of them saw me do this and gave me a slow, exaggerated head nod to let me know I was right for recognizing them and they were famous.

Last edited:
My uncle is a semi famous academic. He's a Chevron Scholar and likes to talk about oil. He's not dumb. He's written a number of books, is on TV a lot and is a great guy. It's pretty amazing because he's dyslexic. He's the head of the chemistry department somewhere very prestigious.

I ran into KC Royals LF Alex Gordon in the produce section of the local grocery store. He was a nice enough dude. I told him thanks for playing hard and stopped bothering him. I'm such a dummy.

I shared a flight with KState coach Frank Martin on my way to KC for a wedding between two KState grads and huge fans. He destroyed a muffin, then was nice enough to write a congrats note to the couple. Awesome dude.

I ran into KC Royals LF Alex Gordon in the produce section of the local grocery store. He was a nice enough dude. I told him thanks for playing hard and stopped bothering him. I'm such a dummy.

I shared a flight with KState coach Frank Martin on my way to KC for a wedding between two KState grads and huge fans. He destroyed a muffin, then was nice enough to write a congrats note to the couple. Awesome dude.

If I were on a plane with Frank Martin, I'd be hiding in the luggage. That's a scary man.

I'm friends with Steve Largent's son, and he (Steve) introduced me to Shaun Alexander.
I met Steven Curtis Chapman and Michael W. Smith in DC a couple years ago.
I had a beer with Sean May at Italian Pizzeria on Franklin St.
I met and talked to Rick Flair, Arn Anderson, Bill Goldberg, and Mick Foley at a Ford Dealership grand opening in Durham, and got their autographs.
I met Coach K at a dry cleaner in Durham, but he acted like a dick.
I met and talked to the guy from Epic Records who signed The Fray.
I just got Chill's autograph 3 weeks ago, and that was awesome.

Last edited:
Back