• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2-53 (solution?) (post Dook)

I have read and worry that the other members of the ACC will eventually run Wake off.

What fans say on a message board has nothing to do with reality. We can't be "run off" from the ACC as a charter member. What could happen is that the bigger ACC teams jump to a different conference, leaving us behind in the conference we can't be kicked out of. The most recent expansion would make that a really expensive undertaking though. Whether there's enough money to make that happen will depend on whether conferences/ESPN figure out how to monetize streaming since massive traditional cable/TV contracts seem like they are less likely as that market continues to shrink.

Last edited:
What fans say on a message board has nothing to do with reality. We can't be "run off" from the ACC as a charter member. What could happen is that the bigger ACC teams jump to a different conference, leaving us behind in the conference we can't be kicked out of. The most recent expansion would make that a really expensive undertaking though. Whether there's enough money to make that happen will depend on whether conferences/ESPN figure out how to monetize streaming since massive traditional cable/TV contracts seem like they are less likely as that market continues to shrink.

Where do you get this? Can you point to a clause in the ACC charter? I know of no basis for this assertion.

Why would schools want to kick us out? They beat the hell out of us. It's a bye-week in football and becoming that way in basketball.

For the same reason that drives every other decision in college football & basketball today: Money.

Can anyone point to any school in the history of the NCAA being "kicked out" of a conference for any reason - including lack of competitiveness? Why do y'all waste your time discussing such nonsense?

Can anyone point to any school in the history of the NCAA being "kicked out" of a conference for any reason - including lack of competitiveness? Why do y'all waste your time discussing such nonsense?

I think that RacerDeac is correct in what he said in his post, though I don't know where to find it in the by-laws. However, I feel sure that several schools in the ACC wish that WF was not in the conference, because we are taking more money from the pot than we are contributing to it. And at some point, some of the schools in the ACC might look into the option of forming another "super conference". Right now, I would say that WF is fairly well insulated due to various reasons....fines for leaving the conference, etc....but the day could come in the future where that might change.

WF hasn't contributed a dollar to the conference for bowl or NCAAT revenue in the last six years. And what is the difference in gate revenue from playing a football game at Clemson or FSU...or even NC State...and playing one at WF?

In other words, I'd bet that the other schools would agree to waive the exit fee penalty if WF decided to voluntarily leave the conference.

Last edited:
What fans say on a message board has nothing to do with reality.

Surely you jest.

Sincerely,

attachment.php

Where do you get this? Can you point to a clause in the ACC charter? I know of no basis for this assertion.

Whether by by-law or tradition, it can't/won't happen. That's been the accepted wisdom among more than a few folks I trust whenever there's been a conference realignment silly season.

I think that RacerDeac is correct in what he said in his post, though I don't know where to find it in the by-laws. However, I feel sure that several schools in the ACC wish that WF was not in the conference, because we are taking more money from the pot than we are contributing to it. And at some point, some of the schools in the ACC might look into the option of forming another "super conference". Right now, I would say that WF is fairly well insulated due to various reasons....fines for leaving the conference, etc....but the day could come in the future where that might change.

Does the Big 10 (or whatever) want to kick Northwestern out? Does the SEC want to kick Vandy out? The fact is we are a well-respected institution and the ACC is lucky, and glad, to have us. Fans only look at basketball and football but conferences look at the bigger picture. We add academic prestige to the conference - something the ACC regularly focuses on in advertising, etc. We have many very successful athletic programs across the board - some more consistently than others. I would guess that we have more total national championships than half the schools in the ACC.
We have a small fanbase and a small football stadium and will likely never be consistently "good" in football. We have had some success and have the most recent ACC championship and major bowl of any ACC school in NC.
We have some tradition in basketball and have had decades of real success, including 4 ACC tournament championships, and a total of 10 trips to the ACC tourney final. That is more titles and more trips to the finals than any other ACC school not located in NC. You don't have to tell me that all that success seems like ancient history right now - but it is still relevant to our position within the conference.

I just think this is a subject that is never mentioned anywhere but a fan board like this...

WF is not going to be kicked out of the ACC. Never ever.

Northwestern has never been to the NCAA tourney EVER. They had the longest losing streak in the history of D-1 football. They have the smallest crowds in the Big 10 and half the tickets they sell are the fans of the other Big 10 schools. They will always play in the Big 10.

In a conference where only football really matters, Vandy went 26 years (1982 to 2008) between bowl games. They have never won an SEC division or conference title. They have had a winning conference record once in the last 33 years. Vandy isn't going anywhere.

Chicken Littles can relax. The sky isn't falling WF isn't going to be kicked out of the ACC (nor are the members going to secretly set up a new conference and not tell WF, this isn't middle school). Other ACC teams are happy to beat up on WF, and probably like the fact that in very tough conference at least a couple of programs are down. Never felt that the other ACC schools were particularly happy when WF was good/great in basketball, or pain in the arse to play in football.

The Big East kicked Temple out as a football member due to lack of competitiveness.

Whether by by-law or tradition, it can't/won't happen. That's been the accepted wisdom among more than a few folks I trust whenever there's been a conference realignment silly season.

Yeah, just an "understanding" among hopeful fans. Racer, money often forces changes in perceived traditions that have become dated. Lots of ACC "traditions" have fallen by the wayside recently. Lowfers shouldn't pin their hopes on being untouchable in the conference; the big time schools will get their way if they really want to press it.

If it's not contractual, it doesn't matter who you heard it from.

Again, I don't know that it's not contractual. I just know that people who should know say that it's true.

Regardless of that assurance, there's little to no evidence that it's something to worry about.

So, let's put this 2-46 in perspective. 4 other people on this board and me, could've played the last 48 road ACC games representing Mother So Dear, and at worst, we would've only lost 2 more games out of 48 than the players we've had getting 6 figure scholarships to play basketball at Wake Forest. That is truly, truly mind blowing.

Back