• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2012 Pit Olympics Week 1- Scattergories #1 Questions posted at 2 Answers due at 2:05

JDawg

Reaction score
Welcome Pit Olympians to our first event of the 2012 Pit Olympics, Scattergories!

This will be the first game of two Scattergories games this week. Each team must submit one player for each game and players may not be repeated between games. These players do not need to be named at this time, just make sure that each team has exactly one player send a PM to me with their answers. I do not care about the format, just make sure that I will be able to identify your answers easily. The subject of your PM to me must be your Pit Olympics Country. If two entries from a country are received, that team will be disqualified and no points will be received for that specific Scattergories game. If no entry is submitted before the deadline, the team will not receive any points for that game. THIS RULE WILL BE STRICTLY ENFORCED.

Everybody plays by slightly different rules at home...I have posted the rules of the officially sanctioned Pit Olympics Scattergories below to ensure that everybody is on the same page.

Summary: I give you ten categories and a letter, you write down an answer that begins with that letter that you think nobody else will submit

RULES:
1. For each category, you must submit an answer that begins with the given letter in order to be eligible for a point (with the exception of proper nouns; see rule #5). Example: "It takes two" would be an answer for the given letter "I" but not "T"
2. UNLIKE SHEEP, if the answer does not belong in that category, you will not receive points. EXAMPLE: If the category was "Countries", "Ohio" would not be an acceptable answer. Sorry TWDeac.
3. If nobody else answers the same thing, you will be eligible for points. If someone else answers the same answer, no points will be received by either player.
4. The determiners "a," "an" and "the" are disallowed in the game even though they might be part of an official title. EXAMPLE: "A Beautiful Mind" would be an acceptable answer for the letter B but not A.
5. When answering with a person, either the first or last name can be used as the letter.
6. If the answer uses alliteration then multiple points may be received. Example: "Ansel Adams" would score two points. HOWEVER if there is any break, only the first letter chain will be used. EXAMPLE: "Back in Black" would receive one point, the hypothetical answer "Big, Black and Beautiful " would receive two.
7. The same answer must not be submitted twice in the same round. If this does occur, both answers will not receive points. EXAMPLE: this would not fly
8. Adjectives are allowed, but I will note that I am pretty strict against those that are not deemed necessary and act as a modifier. EXAMPLE: "excellent eggs" would just be counted as eggs, but "chinese cabbage" would be two points.
9. Creative answers are encouraged by yours truly. I will arbitrarily award a point at the end of the game to my favorite answer throughout the entire round.
10. All answers will be judged by me. My rulings are final.

Since there will be two games, each team's final score will be added up and that is how the medals will be determined. EXAMPLE: a team scoring 8 points on Tuesday and 5 points on Thursday would receive 13 points total and that would be ranked accordingly.

The categories and letter will be posted at 2:00 PM. All answers must be submitted by 2:05 PM. PMs with a time stamp of 2:06 PM will not count. Again, this will be strictly enforced.

CATEGORIES:
1. Movie title
2. Car
3. Sporting event
4. Dinner entree
5. Thing found in North Carolina
6. Event
7. Gift for the bride and groom
8. Athlete
9. Book
10. OGBoards poster

LETTER: M

R: Since time is limited and the time limit will be strictly enforced, I suggest you have the PM formatted in another tab/window and keep refreshing the post once 2:00 comes. F5 is your friend.

Good luck!

------------------------

Final score:

Greece- 14
Germany- 13
Rome- 11
China- 11
Fiji- 10
Poland- 9
Australia- 0
Oklahoma- 0

Answers by question:

Question 1- Movie title
Martha Marcy May Marlene (4) - Greece
Mystery Men (2) - Fiji
Mayhem Motel (2) - Poland
March of the Penguins (1) - Rome
Mad Max (0) - China, Germany

Question 2- Car
Mazda Miati (2) - Poland
Mitsubishi Montero (2) - Germany
Mazdaspeed3 (1) - Rome
Meteor (1) - Greece
Murano (1) - Fiji
Mustang (1) - China

Question 3- Sporting Event
MLS Game (1) - China
Mountain climbing (1) - Germany
Monoskiing (1) - Greece
Masters (0) - Poland, Rome
(no answer) (0)- Fiji

Question 4- Dinner Entree
Meatball Marinara (2) - Germany
Meat (1) - China
Manicotti (1) - Fiji
Mandarin Duck (1) - Greece
Mussels (1) - Poland
Mince Meat Pie (1) - Rome

Question 5- Thing found in North Carolina
Mount Mitchell (2) - Germany
Mountains (1) - China
Mountaineers (1) - Fiji
Montgomery (1) - Poland
Madison (1) - Rome
Married Menage (1) - Greece

Question 6- Event
March Madness (2) - China
Monthly meeting (1) - Germany
Musical Matinee (1) - Greece
Mass wedding (1) - Rome
Mickey Mouse Kingdom (0) - Poland
(no answer) (0) - Fiji

Question 7- Gift for the Bride and Groom
Massage (1) - Greece
M&Ms (1) - Germany
mixing bowls (1) - Rome
Money (0)- China, Fiji, Poland

Question 8- Athlete
Michael Morse (2)- Rome
Mark Maddox (2)- Germany
Mark Madsen (2)- China
Mario Andretti (1)- Fij
Mike Modano (0)- Greece, Poland

Question 9- Book
Mr. Men (2)- Fiji
Millicent Min, Girl Genius (2)- Greece
Meet Me In Paris (2)- Poland
My Way (1)- China
Matthew (1)- Germany
The Magnificent Seven (1)- Rome

Question 10- OGBoards Poster
Marquee Moon (2) - Fiji (fortunately in this case, there is a poster called Moon. Bizarre)
Mike Morton (2) - Greece
Marquee Goon (1) - Poland
Milhouse (1) - China
mbadvisor (1) - Germany
masud30a (1) - Rome

Last edited:
I have a learning disability. Please give me the questions now so I have time to make this fair. Thanks you

chinese cabbage isn't even a thing. Are you saying if one person says cabbage and one person says chinese cabbage, they both score? How bout you call napa napa and bok choy bok choy

Nah, typically the two "cabbages" would cancel out and the person who put chinese cabbage would get just one point for the chinese part of it. Not sure if Jdawg does it that way or not though.

chinese cabbage isn't even a thing. Are you saying if one person says cabbage and one person says chinese cabbage, they both score? How bout you call napa napa and bok choy bok choy

I don't effing know, I just copied an example from some random website. But it seems different enough from cabbage to me to say that it would be 2 points and not 1.

And to your second part, I didn't say that at all.

Nah, typically the two "cabbages" would cancel out and the person who put chinese cabbage would get just one point for the chinese part of it. Not sure if Jdawg does it that way or not though.

I nix em both.

I'm a dick when it comes to Scattergories

I nix em both.

I'm a dick when it comes to Scattergories

i'm glad you score it that way, otherwise you'd end up with a lot of ridiculous modifiers.

If the question is dessert and the letter is C, what happens with the following responses?

Cookie Cream Ice Cream
Chocolate Chip Cookies
Cookie Dough
Cookie

I don't effing know, I just copied an example from some random website. But it seems different enough from cabbage to me to say that it would be 2 points and not 1.

And to your second part, I didn't say that at all.

That's why I am asking, sir, thank you for the clarification. But no one calls chinese cabbage chinese cabbage.

If the question is dessert and the letter is C, what happens with the following responses?

Cookie Cream Ice Cream
Chocolate Chip Cookies
Cookie Dough
Cookie

Well, it would have to be Cookies and Cream Ice Cream for starters.

Cookie Cream Ice Cream
Chocolate Chip Cookies
Cookie Dough
Cookie

I don't think you can leave the "and" out of "cookies and cream" just to try to get a point, can you?

oh to be clear if someone says "chinese cabbage" and someone else says "cabbage" what would happen?

Back