• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2014 FB Recruiting Thread: Signing Day is this Wednesday!

No you don't.

There are far more 2 / 3 star players than there are 4 / 5 stars.

If 16 first round picks in the 2012 draft were 4/5* and 16 were 2/3*, than a player who is a 2/3* has as much chance of being one of the 32 first round choices as a 4/5* player. The only thing the NFL cares about your HS years is character. (see Aaron Hernandez lasting til the 4th rd).

2008 - http://rivals.yahoo.com/footballrecruiting/football/recruiting/teamrank/2008/all/all

5* - 37 (1%)
4* - 358 (13%)
3* - 868 (32%)
2* or less - 1473 (54%)

Let's assume the pool of players for 2012 is similar to the 2008 class.

There were 395 4*/5* players.
There were 2341 2*/3* players.

16/395 = 4.1%
16/2341 = 0.7%

In other words, 4*/5* players are 5.9 times as likely to get drafted in the 1st round.

4* and 5* players are overall far better than lower rated players by any metric you can use.

Last edited:
Reactions: BDL
Back to my question, are we sure Vandy is not cheating? Sounds like some questionable SEC moves going on over there.

Does the Vandy fball player that stabbed his teammate, or the 4 Vandy players suspended today for sexual assault change any of this debate? I have no idea of the star count for the accused.

I do love how every program that surpasses us just HAS to be cheating. Maybe we're just stagnant and everyone else is actually making themselves better.

I wonder if Wake football was cheating in 2006, or if Wake hoops was cheating in 1995-97, 2005, or 2009.

The nations #1 DT Andrew Brown, commits to UVa. Lucky for us we won't play the 'hoos til 2016, when he'll be a rookie in the NFL.

The nations #1 DT Andrew Brown, commits to UVa. Lucky for us we won't play the 'hoos til 2016, when he'll be a rookie in the NFL.

He won't be a freshman til 2014 so that's not correct.

By any metric, stars or otherwise, I could not be more pleased with the last couple of classes and with the new coaches on board.

Keeping in mind my own mistake in embracing the pipeline philosophy over the " jeweler's eye".

Himebauch, Jackson and Stubblefield have brought a ton of enthusiasm to the table. The effort to rehabilitate the program's distance from Aaron Curry (noted critic of the pipeline) to its embrace of new training regimens coupled with much more inter-team competitions. Round of applause to the staff.

--- now then, it was on Defense that the last great Wake team was built. The new/old recruiting style which produced Curry, Arnoux, Vaughn, et.,al. has returned. All you need to do is take a close look at the young LB's in the program. Those kids and the DL all the way across. Coach Mac has never had it so good...he deserves it after years of toil. Warren Belin's resume speaks for itself. What a collection of young talent behind the sensational athlete, Justin Jackson.

Word to wise: Kevis Jones and Steve Donatell are no- bullshit football junkies. I know junkies when I see 'em.

Seriously, Steve Donatell is already 230 pounds and grown to 6 foot 6. The former Colorado Top 10 and Nebraska QB prospect joined his running buddy, Kevis Jones (6'2-234) both cleared 53 inches on the mat- jump. That is getting up when you can hang with Justin Jackson.

Both young guys are on the two deep at LB and both are Rs Fr.

They join cohort MLB Teddy Matthews @ 6'3-238 and pushing rising star, Brandon Chubb, and the healed Mike Olson (lots of heavy reps with that shoulder- he, Ford and Steven Chase look ready to roll)

Abandon the old RS policy -- plug in "Curry-Arnoux" era Ath/recruits like the super mature and tough, Wendell Dunn (inner city Miami product has an inspiring tale...helluva an athlete who has just begun to really lift weights-- watch the fk out!)--Bad ass, Lance Virgile at 6'2 and 225 -- built and can run to the ball. Bad intent. Julian Thomas Jackson -- same deal, fell through the cracks and landed in our laps. Brother was a DE at Old Miss. He narrowed his list early and didn't camp. All four of his finalists had coaching changes. He was adrift. He's a stud athlete @ 6'4 and 217...runs an electronic 4.65.

Not everybody will be a star.Everybody knows that you only rate "potential" and potential is just a fancy way to say "aint done it yet". I only rate these guys based on potential. You would have to be willfully stubborn to not acknowledge the admittance and change as well as the number of tremendous athletes Wake can "throw against the wall. Not all of these guys will stick (unlikely)...but that's a lot of raw physical ability and guys who seem to have their shit together.

Last edited:
Sounds great.

But I will believe that we have abandoned the redshirt policy when I see it.

Sounds great.

But I will believe that we have abandoned the redshirt policy when I see it.

I believe it is time to have some depth and better special teams. Warren Belin is going to help. Need to go ahead and take the kickoff game more seriously. Time to put out some head hunters. Plug the young brigade of Ejiofor, Ali Lamot, Virgile, Howell,J.T. Jackson (146 tackles as SR), Matthews, Dunn, Johnny Armstrong and Stevenson and let them go hell bent for leather on special teams. Get them positional scout work during the week but take special teams and greatly ramp up the athletes running down the field. All of the above guys produced numbers, have outstanding speed and enjoy contact. Put 'me to work!

Agree wholeheartedly. I just don't know if Grobe will do it. Leopards and spots and all that.

Outstanding post Lectro. I like to read what a recruit says about work ethic, academics, goals that he sets, than how many stars he has. As far as the RS policy, I'm glad that we'll have Donatell,KJ.etc for 4 more years. Their academic load will be eased because of it. Can we answer this question: Will Grobe sit an unproductive upperclassman for a unproven true freshman? Remember how Orvilles career has been used up for a couple of snaps as a frosh.

Are our true frosh good enough to earn playing time and win?

It's hard for me to buy that Grobe has been willingly not playing true freshmen who would produce on the field.

And on top of that, when they do see the field one or two years later, they're not productive.

It's even harder to believe that a coach who regularly blames youth believes youth is the answer.

Are our true frosh good enough to earn playing time and win?

It's hard for me to buy that Grobe has been willingly not playing true freshmen who would produce on the field.

And on top of that, when they do see the field one or two years later, they're not productive.

I think in terms of the 2 deep, yes, maybe...but moreso gaining traction on the special team units. We don't want to play true freshman this season. We don't need to. We have one of the better D's in the league and it should continue its trends from 2011 to 12 to this season.

* these new kids can fill in the blanks - give our team that added spark and be of great service when considering late game stamina. These guys can push us over the top and into some victories in what might otherwise be a late game lapse more due stamina(depth) than ability.

Award the Defense by letting Warren Belin take the reins of kick coverage. His one time stint at Georgia produced the top unit in the SEC in 2009. He has a feel and he picked up some great ideas while collaborating with Ron Rivera at Charlotte. Warren knows how to get guys to "run to the ball". I don't exactly know what that means nor can quantify...he's one of those people who can get football players to run through walls. No slight toward any other staffer. Billings had it.

This is the one aspect we've not followed closely enough in our inter actions with the staff at Virginia Tech. We have long needed a "top gun" to take the reins of Special Teams. I'd like to see Billy step to the side and raise Warrens hand for the job. Needs to be done.

Not nearly the pressure on Nikita Whitlock. 1st off, Zach Thompson and Kris Redding have had strong off-seasons staying on campus with Nik. The new guys are huge kids - after years and years of hoping kids would "fill out" Wake finally has some tall yet big bodied kids who can really run --

Tyler Harris will become the prospect DeMario Pressley was supposed to have been.
Ty lists at 6'4 and 290 and is built and quick and sharp. I want to try and remain low key on this guy...I'm trying.

Steve Russ told me (before he took off) "watch out for Josh Banks". Indeed, after a great and competitive winter session Josh is coming on. The 6'4 - 285 pound DE is perfect bookend to Harris. Don't want to over hype but I'm dam glad we kept Arkansas and Stanford at bay.

Desmond Floyd has drawn coaches praise and at 6'5 and 263 gives the Deacs another big body on the edge -- one who can run, pressure and bat passes. 325 lb. clean and jerk. Big boy is filling out kind of like Calvin Pace.

Ty is a true Soph. / Des is a Rs Soph and Josh is a Rs frosh

Coming up behind these guys is Shelldon Lewinson (6'1-258) - 655 pound dead lift and a legitimate sub 4.6 40 guy. Freakish like Justin Jackson but in areas of leg strength, leverage and explosion. Relentless...think of a taller Whitlock.

Duke Ejiofor - 6'4 and 240 and, apparently, still growing. As a JR is HS Duke was measured at a Houston VTO camp at 6'1.75 and 187 - Safety/LB -- 4.82 40 yards. He attended the same camp (post sr season) about 16-17 months
later, and,after a great Sr campaign where he matched his bookend DE and consensus AA teammate (Southern Cal) play for play, Ejiofor showed up at his 2nd Houston camp and posted measurements: 6'4 and 235 pounds running a 4.53 40 yes with a 36" vertical jump.

I'll talk Lamot, Looney and Hauser later.

This newer staff can spot talent...they got the EYE back for Wake Forest

Last edited:
Tell me about Lewinson. When we recruited him, he seemed like a super strong guy with some speed and built like a fire hydrant. Really though, as much as we love Nikita, we just can't get in the habit of thinking that we can win consistently with 260 lb Noseguards. Nikita is a freak, and thus it kind of works with him. Where can Lewinson best plug in to use his skill set. He seems like he would be a beast at MLB but that isn't going to happen. I'm afraid that he is a guy who would play in the NFL if he weighed 50 pounds more, but as it is, not sure he will be able to consistently get it done at NG.

Our defense gave up 31.8 ppg last year, 91st in the country. Are young guys going to improve the defense enough to win 7 or 8 games?

Tell me about Lewinson. When we recruited him, he seemed like a super strong guy with some speed and built like a fire hydrant. Really though, as much as we love Nikita, we just can't get in the habit of thinking that we can win consistently with 260 lb Noseguards. Nikita is a freak, and thus it kind of works with him. Where can Lewinson best plug in to use his skill set. He seems like he would be a beast at MLB but that isn't going to happen. I'm afraid that he is a guy who would play in the NFL if he weighed 50 pounds more, but as it is, not sure he will be able to consistently get it done at NG.

The "problem" if you want to call it that, is that Shelldon is not an "out of the box and ready to play" kind of prospect -- either at NG or at a position he has not played, like MLB.

When Wake recruits a kid we have to look at him 2 to 3 years down the road -- now then, this is not necessarily true in Shelldon's case ! Though a little less thick than Whitlock (on arrival) he possesses all of the tools to be the next NG/ playmaker at Wake. That's how they view the position.

Now all the happy horseshit to the side... forget anything I say and "roll the fuggin film!" This guy is unblockable and against the nations toughest high school schedule. He fucking dominated the Nations 8th ranked team on ESPN in prime time. Oh it was funny -- he was up against a row of 295 pound D1 college bound linemen and he was dominant. I noted that night that the announcers mentioned his name at least 10 times in the first half. It was funny as hell... the guy would say "and that's another huge play by Shelldon Lewinson!... Uh, yea, he is headed to play next year for, uh, uh...Wake Forest" and the other guy would say "Wake Forest!?". Those two did that about 3 times throughout the game.

Shelldon excelled at Armwood Seffner -- lately one of the top 5 teams in the nation. The Utah team they beat had been feasting on California's finest and had a 41 game winning streak heading into the contest.

I am definately excited to see him here for the next four years. I'd be a bit more excited to see him in 4-3, but the people running our D know a lot more than I do about those things (although seriously, Nikita and Sheldon in the middle of a 4-3 taking advantage of their quickness would be sweet--but my phone has yet to ring asking my opinion on our defensive alignment for 13-14.

Much of the answer to the question of whether our D will be better will be determined by whether our O can stay on the field for more than 3 minutes at a time.

Back