• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2015-2016 MLB Stove: Talk To Your Congressman About Stopping DH Expansion

How many votes are needed among NL teams to make the switch?

I can see a few old school NL teams (Cards, Giants - Bumgarner's bat is a weapon, Dodgers) opposing.

Do not want Cespedes. He is 30. He had two mediocre years before blowing up in his contract year. The Nats already have a ton of right handed hitters that don't get on base a lot and strikeout too much. Fear that the owners are seduced by the fact that Cespedes killed them late last year, but he is erratic offensively and defensively. Also, don't think he will age well. Not worth $25 million a year for the next 5-6 years.

Yeah but....get him!

woah. love the rays going after pearce. with loney and lomo already on the roster it seems like loney may be on his way out. i like the dude, but would be happy to see someone actually hit at 1b for us.

woah. love the rays going after pearce. with loney and lomo already on the roster it seems like loney may be on his way out. i like the dude, but would be happy to see someone actually hit at 1b for us.

I read somewhere they think Pearce is essentially taking Guyers spot on the roster - which I was surprised, since Guyer seemed like he was finally coming into his own, albeit hes 29.

The DH is coming, and it will make Giants fans sad

1. The DH isn't much fun and it never was. Proponents of the designated-hitter rule are so very vocal about how unenjoyable it is to watch pitchers hit, but the people who actually watch the pitchers hit all year are perfectly fine with it.

Take it from us, it's great. Really, I've watched this for decades, and I can't recommend it enough. Seriously, you AL people gotta try this.

2. The DH is awful every year, but last year Giants pitchers hit three more homers than Royals and Tigers shortstops combined. Even without Bumgarner's dingers, Giants pitchers hit as many home runs as Angels shortstops. National League teams should just get pitchers who hit better.

7. You'll get used to the DH. Barely. Your kids and their kids won't know anything different, and they'll wonder why it still makes you so mad. You'll be the angry, venomous grandparent for a lot of reasons. This is just one of them.

No one is proposing to replace shortstops with a DH, and the Giants pitchers are better hitters than some shortstops, so you shouldn't propose to replace them either. If you compare pitchers' hitting numbers to the DH, then you could do that with almost any position. And then baseball will be football, and who wants to watch football???

BTW, enjoying the comments on that piece.

giants-bumgarner-home-run-2015-05-21.gif

The National league adopting the DH would be like The United States rolling over after the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor.

The Germans didn't bomb Pearl Harbor.

That never happened.

Perhaps googling "Germans bombed pearl harbor" would enhance your understanding

I'm fif fucking teen

How the effing hell do you expect me to understand all of your obscure 80’s movie references, you oppressive, millennial-hating shitlord.

Kids these days.

Nationals Make Five-Year Offer To Yoenis Cespedes; Mets Won’t Go Beyond Three

1:25pm: The Nationals are “pressing” to complete a deal with outfielder Yoenis Cespedes, reports Jon Heyman (links to Twitter). The Nats are believed to be willing to offer about $100MM over a five-year term (“maybe a bit more,” Heyman adds) with some deferrals — a tactic they used in structuring Max Scherzer’s seven-year deal last winter. Heyman characterizes the talks between the two sides as serious.

Mets, Cespedes Discussing Three-Year Deal With Opt-Out Clause

Hahahaha

I read somewhere they think Pearce is essentially taking Guyers spot on the roster - which I was surprised, since Guyer seemed like he was finally coming into his own, albeit hes 29.

not sure it's guyer so much but if i ranked order of who should get abs he does move down. i also am trying to figure out 13 position players to break camp with, and i'd have to go 14:

C Conger
1b loney
2b forsythe
3b longo
ss miller
lf jennings
cf kk
rf souza
dh pearce
cif/cof lomo
4th of guyer
mif franklin
mif bexxx
C2 rivera

prefs on playing time (with positional possibilities):

3b longo
cf kk
2b forsythe (3b/1b)
C Conger
rf souza (lf/cf)
dh pearce (1b/lf/rf)
ss miller (2b/3b)
lf jennings (cf)
4th of guyer (all 3)
1b loney
1b/cof lomo
mif franklin
mif bexxx
C2 rivera

conger's as high as he is because of my distaste for rivera.

i really think a trade could happen with the depth we're storing at aaa: mahtook, casali, shaffer, brett, robertson, motter.

meh... i'll be happy when it's conger/casali. doesnt chirinos get killed by all the defensive metrics out there?

Absolutely nothing has gone right for the Nationals this winter

It doesn't matter. Heyward signed with the Cubs. The Nationals were curious about Justin Upton, and he signed elsewhere. They were curious about Wei-Yin Chen, which would have freed up one of their starting pitchers to trade. They were talking contract with Mike Leake for the same reason. They missed out on Ben Zobrist, Swiss Army knife of the gods. Darren O'Day turned them down to stay put.They thought they had a trade for Brandon Phillips, but he demanded an extension to waive his no-trade rights.

The last of the bunch was the worst of the bunch, at least strategically. The Nationals were pursuing Yoenis Cespedes, which would have served a dual purpose of making their lineup stronger and poking the Mets in the eye. Instead, the Mets got Cespedes on what's essentially a one-year deal (assuming he opts out), which fits their needs and budget perfectly. The Nationals are instead left to hope for the best from a 37-year-old Jayson Werth as their main source of power after Harper.

Every team missed out on a target or three. The Nationals missed out on targets spectacularly, though, right up to their final failed pursuit of a crucial NL East player.

No one is proposing to replace shortstops with a DH, and the Giants pitchers are better hitters than some shortstops, so you shouldn't propose to replace them either. If you compare pitchers' hitting numbers to the DH, then you could do that with almost any position. And then baseball will be football, and who wants to watch football???

BTW, enjoying the comments on that piece.

giants-bumgarner-home-run-2015-05-21.gif

Kids these days.
The point is that Giants pitchers hit more homers than other position players, thus watching them hit was not miserable. As a Reds fan i've enjoyed watching our pitchers hit and spectacularly fail at bunting as well. It adds a level of strategy to the game that some of us enjoy. I don't really give a shit about some washed up former juicer lug his fat ass to the plate 3 times a game.

Last edited:
Cubs have 6 players on the BP 101, granted none are before #41. Torres is the 12th rated SS - 12 SS in the top 41 players seems crazy high for one position. Cubs have Contreras as the top rated Catcher, and Ian Happ as the 2nd 2B on the list. If anyone lives near Myrtle Beach, that team should be awesome this year with Torres and Happ up the middle, likely see Eddy Julio Martinez patrolling the OF who is supposed to be a Jorge Soler clone (hopefully without the anger issues), Carson Sands and Justin Steele, a couple of 20 YO pitchers will likely be here at some point.

Pretty pumped, would assume this keeps them close to the top 5 in terms of minor league systems, and there are a bunch of fringe arms that could make this list next year

http://www.turnerpublishing.com/files/uploads/BP-101Prospects.pdf

Last edited:
Back