• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2015 Football Coaching Carousel: Southern Miss HC to Tampa Bay

Pretty surprised the Navy guy turned down BYU. BYU can be a great job with good Mormon talent to choose from.

May be very happy at Navy and making enough money with a great talent pool of fine young men to choose from. Never has to worry about discipline problems and has beaten Army 13 straight years. Makes it a very comfortable situation. Plus he is on the East coast right in the middle of some awesome restaurants.

Pretty surprised the Navy guy turned down BYU. BYU can be a great job with good Mormon talent to choose from.

I'm not, he's got a great gig at Navy right now and you never know how it's going to work taking that offense someplace else, if that's in fact what he would've done. He's got a system there that he inherited from Paul Johnson and it would be a pretty big risk trying to take that system to another school.

Is BYU that much better of a job than Navy?

Years ago probably yes. With the amount of money that the Federal government throws at the service academies now, though, probably not so much. I grew up in Annapolis and still go back to visit family there. The facilities at the Naval Academy, not just for sports but for pretty much everything, are all first-class. This is one case where I don't mind my tax dollars going to no-cost-is-too-great expenditures, as the kids that go to the academies deserve the best, but it really is a sight to behold.

LOWF is probably about the only school out there that would tolerate fans of other schools incessantly posting about other schools' football programs on its board.

Go to hell Georgia, Georgia Tech, Alabama, Florida State, Ohio State, South Carolina, and any other team I missed.

Just be glad UNCBiz is not over here.

The most surprising thing about Coach Ken turning down the BYU job is that he has one son on the BYU roster now, and another son who had committed to Boise State, but would've switched to BYU had Coach Ken taken that job.

Also, Keenan Reynolds, the NCAA's all-time TD scorer is a senior (and Navy had a ton of seniors on the current team), and Reynolds was Navy's best QB since Roger Staubach. Even with Navy's recent success, it's not an easy place to recruit to. So, it's unlikely that Navy will have the same amount of talent on hand over the next few years. IOW, after a couple of 6-6 seasons, unlikely that Coach Ken will get another offer on par with BYU again.

So, there are a number of reasons why Coach Ken's decision to spurn BYU was a little surprising.

I would think so, but maybe not. Would seem that Navy could go the way of Army with a few bad recruiting classes (despite BYU's own weird rules, there are Mormon kids that can play that want to go there... the Academies perhaps not as much).

If Texas A&M cans Sumlin, Tom Herman and Larry Fedora are considered the top two candidates to replace him.

Pete Lembo resigning as Ball State head coach to become an assistant at Maryland under DJ Durkin.

Probably happy to be closer to the IRS.
And B-More.

Maurice+Levy.png

Pete Lembo resigning as Ball State head coach to become an assistant at Maryland under DJ Durkin.

Lembo won 10 games 3 years ago but slipped to 5 wins in 2014 and 3 wins this year. My assumption is that he jumped knowing that he was likely to be fired next year.

Back