• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2015 NASCAR Thread - Congrats Kyle Busch

tsywake

Sheikh of Smoke
Staff member
Reaction score
In the offseason, a flurry of activity has begun. NASCAR recently released changes to the 2015 Rule Book. The biggest changes are the testing ban and the new lug nut rule. Briefly, to level the playing field, there will be open tests following each of the Goodyear tests at varying tracks. Each organization will be allowed one driver at each open test, and if the driver is doing the Goodyear test, that same driver must be the one who does the organization's open test. Also, all of the lug nuts no longer have to be securely fastened when the car leaves the pits, but there are very stiff penalties if the wheel were to come off on the track due to loose lug nuts.

We discussed a few of the changes last fall, including the horsepower reduction and ability for the driver to adjust the track bar from inside the car. Cousin Carl is really digging the new package so far.
Last edited:
In the offseason, a flurry of activity has begun. NASCAR recently released changes to the 2015 Rule Book. The biggest changes are the testing ban and the new lug nut rule. Briefly, to level the playing field, there will be open tests following each of the Goodyear tests at varying tracks. Each organization will be allowed one driver at each open test, and if the driver is doing the Goodyear test, that same driver must be the one who does the organization's open test. Also, all of the lug nuts no longer have to be securely fastened when the car leaves the pits, but there are very stiff penalties if the wheel were to come off on the track due to loose lug nuts.

Yeah, let's wait until after someone is killed due to a wheel coming off to penalize somebody.

Fantasy racing will be back up mid-late January for anyone wanting to play.

What could possibly be the rationale for changing the lug nut rule?

What could possibly be the rationale for changing the lug nut rule?
The argument I've seen so far is the likelihood of the wheel coming off due to a loose lugnut is pretty low. The driver would start to feel a nasty vibration and have to pit prior to the wheel coming off. The officials will still identify the loose or missing lug nut, so the driver will know as they head back on the track, and presumably come in once the vibration occurs.

The argument I've seen so far is the likelihood of the wheel coming off due to a loose lugnut is pretty low. The driver would start to feel a nasty vibration and have to pit prior to the wheel coming off. The officials will still identify the loose or missing lug nut, so the driver will know as they head back on the track, and presumably come in once the vibration occurs.
Just sent a text to my official friend, who confirmed that is what they were told.

I haven't had time to study the new rule book, but were any rules created to address the practice among many teams during the latter part of the season of pulling out the sheet metal in front of the rear tires during the initial pit stop to create better aero? The Penske cars in particular were doing this a lot. In my mind, that is what caused Gordon to cut a tire at Texas when he rubbed up against Brad Keselowski. I think that they should ban this practice, as it does create a hazard to other cars.

As a Junior fan, I am curious to see how Greg Ives does this season in replacing Stevie Letarte.

I know NASCAR said they'd address it, but I havent heard anything concrete. My guess is they move the mounting bracket closer to the flare.

Harv repeats. No doubt. (Actually think the rule changes favor Kyle Busch so we'll see.)

I don't see how anyone can project who should win the championship the way it is set up by NASCAR now. And to me winning the championship is fairly meaningless (other than the money, of course) now, anyway. It is just one big marketing gimmick by NASCAR that depends on luck as much as anything else. Back before the ridiculous "Chase" & its subsequent derivatives, winning the championship really meant something....because you won it by adding up the points for all 36 races during the entire season. So the guy who won the championship could truly claim to be the top driver for that year. Now, it has become just another made-for-television marketing extravaganza.

I am falling for the troll, but what you are saying here could easily be used to argue for no playoffs in any sport. Just assign points to regular season performance and award whoever gets the most the championship. Much fairer way to do things right?

How would an official know if a lug nut was loose on a car leaving the pit?
There are two officials who monitor each pit stop. Once the right sides are done, they check the lugs before moving to the left, then again before the car leaves the pits. In the past, they'd either point to the wheel to let the crew know a lug was either off or loose if the car was still there, or black flag them if the car was already on the track.

But there's no way they could check the left before the car took off, right? Or are they just watching and listening to decide...like if the car drops and takes off while the wrench was spinning they know it was loose?

They have their eyes on the lugs the entire time they're being put on. It helps that theyre bright yellow, makes them really easy to see for that reason.

Brian Vickers had surgery today to fix a hole in his heart and will miss the start of the 2015 season. Sounds like he had an AV Fistula repaired, which would explain his prior bout with blood clots.

Damn, didn't know BV had health issues. Hope the recovery goes smoothly for him.

Back