• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2016-17 Wake Forest Basketball Season

Something tells me SJM is gonna draw a lot of Al Jefferson comparisons on here over the next 4 years (justified or not) - the number, the look, the game, etc.

Last edited:
Something tells me SJM is gonna draw a lot of Al Jefferson comparisons on here over the next 4 years - the number, the look, the game, etc.

He's a large man for sure. Big E worked himself into a sculpted 280, iirc, by the time he left Wake. I wonder if SJM has that kind of physical transformation in him.

The performance of Moore and Collins at center against BC and ND when DT was suspended suggests there will be no drop off at the 5. Dinos should give the team 10 points and five boards in 25 minutes at PF minimum. An increase in those numbers is expected. A big question is whether Collins game has progressed enough for him to play effectively behind Dinos at PF and whether DM would employ that combination. If the answer to those questions is yes, SJM should provide enough behind Moore and Collins at center to make the low post an area of strength for the Deacons.

Still contend that our best lineup includes JC and Doral at the 4 & 5.

Its gonna take a lot of convincing - and a lot of that convincing will be JC and Doral staying out of foul trouble - before Danny puts those two on the court together. Right now, between fouling issues and Doral's stamina issue (until shown otherwise in actual games) Wake may need all three just to play the 40 minutes at center, without trying to get minutes at PF for JC.

Haha. Bz's last two college teams facing off. Manning/Wellman trolling the fan base?

We need to start having a Midnight Madness again. Have some Danny.

It was a good event. The lower level on the half of the coliseum behind the Wake and visiting benches was about 3/4 full (so maybe 1,000 attendees?). The team practiced from noon until about 1:40. Woods and Arians will play a lot, with both possibly starting. Arians, physically, reminds me of junior/senior Vytas, though he has a better shot and is probably not as athletic. He'll take, and make, a lot of 3s. I think Childress will play a decent amount too. I like his game, very controlled, smart, and confident. I think that SJM will play some, and D. Mitchell and Washington probably not much at all this year. Crawford sat out contact drills because of a minor injury.

After practice they ran drills on the courts for the kids (and any adults that wanted to shoot), which was cool.

A lot of practice drills mainly. Crawford did not play in contact situations but practiced otherwise. Have some really good shooters! Little Chill will be a big help. Big Sam got an earful from Manning on numerous occasions due to a lack of focus. Dinos looked quicker and more skilled. Collins is a beast!

Back