• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2016-17 Wake Forest Basketball Season

I'd rather have McClinton starting and Arians coming off the bench as I think Arians brings more off the bench than McClinton. I also think McClinton benefits more from playing with the same 4. I think all Arians needs are his spots on the floor. He has a great 3 point from the arc - supposed to be the worst 3 point shot to take (remember the Cav), but he is really good at it. I think he can play well with just about any 4 you throw out there and can play some stretch 4 against some teams. Likewise, I think his teammates will get a good feel for will he will be on the court.

McClinton less so. I thought last year McClinton had minimal impact off the bench. I'd at least like to see him in the starting lineup in the first 10 games to see if he can do the things I saw him do in the Bahamas against Div1 competition. I think it'd benefit the team and our rotations.

Doesn't mean he plays 20 minutes a game. It just means he starts and always plays with the same starting 5 as a group

Last edited:
For the first time in several years, it feels like we have a full roster of players. I mean that from both a number of and quality of perspective. I get the sense that we could have as many as 12 guys log minutes in any given game during the non-conference portion of the schedule. Obviously that rotation will need to tighten up in ACC play, and hopefully it will because 9 guys will have shown that they deserve the bulk of the minutes

To elaborate further, I remember someone posting about how not having all 13 scholarships filled during one of the Bz-disaster years was having the unintended consequence of not giving the guys enough bodies for practice. And worse, they were only practicing against other equally unskilled players.

That obviously won't be a problem this year - SJM ought to get more out of practice going against Moore and Collins than he would otherwise, and that should be true for all 3 of our low post guys.

Man, I forgot about how much Jaybone loves McClinton.

One other thought this morning about this thread:

If [Dinos] is hitting, you could be looking at Ricky Peral 2.0, with 50% 3pt shooting on well over 100 attempt for the season.

No.

Austin Arians should, and will start over McClinton, as he is a much better basketball player.

I think Dinos could be a high volume shooter around 38% from deep.

I think Dinos could be a high volume shooter around 38% from deep.

Agree. A shoulder injury plagued him last year. His 3 point % dropped from 38% as a frosh to 31% as a soph. Healthy again, he should be a weapon from the outside.

We'd all like to see this team take a leap forward - if they do it's all about the 2 and 3 spots. Losing Devin has plusses and minuses, but we're pretty stacked with Collins/Moore regardless of who starts or doesn't foul out. You'd expect Dinos to be a known quantity at the 4 as well as Crawford at point. We can hope/pray that Woods is the answer at 2, but the 3 is still going to be problematic. If it's Arians we're going to struggle defensively. If it's McClinton we're going to have a huge gap on offense. If we play more Wilbekin/Childress which is arguably where our better talent exists, we'd be running a very small 3 guard lineup.

Can Brown go ahead and transfer in this year? Dying for a player like him on this squad.

Arians is an outstanding shooter with excellent hops. He is slow laterally but is very savvy. Interior defense is my biggest concern with this team. McClinton looks the part but hasn't been a good defender so far.

If we get these minutes, it will show our team has done well:

PG- Crawford 25, Brandon 15
SG- Woods 30, Crawford 5, Wilbekin 5
SF- Arians 28, Wash 6, Greg 6
PF- JC 20, Dinos 20
C- Moore 27, JC 10, Sam 3

We need to have a short bench.

Manning still loves Wilbekin but Woods is much better.

If we get these minutes, it will show our team has done well:

PG- Crawford 25, Brandon 15
SG- Woods 30, Crawford 5, Wilbekin 5
SF- Arians 28, Wash 6, Greg 6
PF- JC 20, Dinos 20
C- Moore 27, JC 10, Sam 3

We need to have a short bench.

No way either of those become true. Manning has shown nothing but support to both of them. Impossible that both Moore & Collins avg more mins a game than Dinos & also impossible that Childress averages 3X the mins a game than Wilbekin. Whether or not that is good, bad, or indifferent is yet to be seen, but it will be what our coach opts to do.

Back