• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2016 College Football Coaching Carousel

Philly.com reporting that an interim coach has not been chosen yet for the Military Bowl.

Link

Wifey already predicting Rhule will be a bust due to lack of Texas ties and is curious as to who will make up his staff. She has a point. Briles took full advantage of his Texas HS connections.

Disappointed. Everything about Baylor sucks. Wish they had gone for the splash with Miles. Instead they landed a really good, young coach.

Meanwhile, stupid Baylor fans are freaking out because they thought they were going to hire away a successful P5 coach.

Disappointed. Everything about Baylor sucks. Wish they had gone for the splash with Miles. Instead they landed a really good, young coach.

Meanwhile, stupid Baylor fans are freaking out because they thought they were going to hire away a successful P5 coach.

Most of the ones freaking out are doing so because of the lack of Texas ties. That can easily be overcome by good assistants. No one that I know thought we were going to hire away a successful P5 coach. Most wanted Morris (SMU), Montgomery (Tulsa), Herman (naturally, but everyone knew it wouldn't happen), or Miles.

Most of the ones freaking out are doing so because of the lack of Texas ties. That can easily be overcome by good assistants. No one that I know thought we were going to hire away a successful P5 coach. Most wanted Morris (SMU), Montgomery (Tulsa), Herman (naturally, but everyone knew it wouldn't happen), or Miles.

A quick scroll on Baylor Fans says otherwise.

USF's Willie Taggart to Oregon.

A quick scroll on Baylor Fans says otherwise.

Very loud vocal minority and trolls that are always unhappy no matter what is going on. We do have some idiots on that board though. A few good years and suddenly we should be Texas and a destination job. The tie to Fedora is that he is from Texas and coached at Baylor in the early 90s, so some did want us to go after him (and he reportedly wanted the job but was never interviewed - I'm sure it was probably a money thing for him).

Always wonder how the bowl games get affected by this. Wake gets to play Temple without their head coach. South Carolia now gets to play South Florida without Taggart. Of course San Diego State will play Houston without Coach Herman [and before Kiffen may take over?] Indiana of course with their firing of head coach Wilson & replacing him in-house with DC Tom Allen. Teams seem to react different ways depending on whether they are senior laden and don't care or whether the new coach gets them going and uses the practices for a learning time to improve for the next season.

Always wonder how the bowl games get affected by this. Wake gets to play Temple without their head coach. South Carolia now gets to play South Florida without Taggart. Of course San Diego State will play Houston without Coach Herman [and before Kiffen may take over?] Indiana of course with their firing of head coach Wilson & replacing him in-house with DC Tom Allen. Teams seem to react different ways depending on whether they are senior laden and don't care or whether the new coach gets them going and uses the practices for a learning time to improve for the next season.

Another reason why bowl games tell you next to nothing about teams. Just exhibitions. My FIL, FSU fan from pre-Bowden days, hates Mark Richt to this day for not leaving before the National Championship game when he took the UGA job.

Another reason why bowl games tell you next to nothing about teams. Just exhibitions. My FIL, FSU fan from pre-Bowden days, hates Mark Richt to this day for not leaving before the National Championship game when he took the UGA job.

I wouldn't say "next to nothing", but even so is there anything wrong with being "exhibitions"? I'm perplexed by opinions expecting something much greater of bowl games than they actually are. They are great -- sans the glut of them -- and are just holiday games to reward good seasons. The matchups are what they are. The higher level games take on more meaning, and certainly did when results would determine the NC.

I actually really like him and think he'll do a good job there, but their fans online are pretty pissed about it. Apparently thought they were getting Chip back, or some Gruden/Cowher type hire.

Also, McMurphy on ESPN reporting that Strong, Kiffin, and Schiano are the favorites to replace Taggart at USF.

Last edited:
I wouldn't say "next to nothing", but even so is there anything wrong with being "exhibitions"? I'm perplexed by opinions expecting something much greater of bowl games than they actually are. They are great -- sans the glut of them -- and are just holiday games to reward good seasons. The matchups are what they are. The higher level games take on more meaning, and certainly did when results would determine the NC.

There's nothing wrong with them at all. Just people always flip the hell out about matchups and conference supremacy every year.

That is kind of an out of the box hire. Taggart is from Florida and played at WKU. He has been a head coach at WKU and USF. Other than a two year stint as the RB coach at Stanford (under Harbaugh), Taggart has no West Coast connections. I like Taggart, and love that a school with the resources and track record like Oregon hired Taggart, but you would think that Oregon might be a job that would look first to poach a coach from another Power V school or even the NFL. Will be rooting for Willie.

Back