• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2016 College Football Coaching Carousel

There's nothing wrong with them at all. Just people always flip the hell out about matchups and conference supremacy every year.

I guess it depends on the matchup; some are more meaningful than others. What does the best team in the AAC playing one of the worst in the ACC mean? Beats me. Certainly doesn't suggest anything between the conferences (unless you believe any team in the ACC ought to be able to beat any AAC team). I guess that might go somewhat to your point. I was just saying what I am here, that they're imperfect and some are more amenable to comparison than others. Some try to make a big deal out of them, others try to diminish the whole concept as meaningless. I find the tradition -- of playing bowls generally; not every bowl itself has "tradition" -- to be something I like.

That is kind of an out of the box hire. Taggart is from Florida and played at WKU. He has been a head coach at WKU and USF. Other than a two year stint as the RB coach at Stanford (under Harbaugh), Taggart has no West Coast connections. I like Taggart, and love that a school with the resources and track record like Oregon hired Taggart, but you would think that Oregon might be a job that would look first to poach a coach from another Power V school or even the NFL. Will be rooting for Willie.

Not really out of the box. Oregon wants an elite offense back. Taggart can give it to them.

Right off hand I can't think of a P5 coach who is a sure thing and would definitely leave for Oregon.

Taggart is a good coach. It takes him a few years for results to show, but he's good. Turned WKU into a program that has had the last 2 coaches jump directly to P5 jobs and got USF back on the right track after Skip.

Charlie Strong in Tampa interviewing for the USF job.

Charlie Strong in Tampa interviewing for the USF job.

Much better job for Coach Strong as he was in over his head at Texas. When at Louisville, his competition was not that strong. He went 7-6, 7-6, then finished obviously strong at 11-2 [beat Florida in the Sugar for his biggest win] & 12-1--all in the Big East/AAC. He was beating the likes of UConn, Syracuse, Pitt, Rutgers, Cincy, WVA & South Florida. Not exactly murderers row. South Florida & the AAC will provide him a chance to get his mojo back, and now Herman is gone from Houston & Rhule is gone from Temple. With the Florida recruiting base, he should stay well stocked.

Much better job for Coach Strong as he was in over his head at Texas. When at Louisville, his competition was not that strong. He went 7-6, 7-6, then finished obviously strong at 11-2 [beat Florida in the Sugar for his biggest win] & 12-1--all in the Big East/AAC. He was beating the likes of UConn, Syracuse, Pitt, Rutgers, Cincy, WVA & South Florida. Not exactly murderers row. South Florida & the AAC will provide him a chance to get his mojo back, and now Herman is gone from Houston & Rhule is gone from Temple. With the Florida recruiting base, he should stay well stocked.

yep............

Rumored Cincy candidates:

Jeff Brohm - Western KY (would think he would be a hot commodity; WKU is not exactly in the middle of football country, but they have scored a lot of points and won a lot of games under Brohm; Baylor and Purdue are also interested in Brohm)
Neal Brown - Troy (Brown is only 36, and he quickly turned Troy around, 9-3 this year, they almost upset Clemson; Brown is from Kentucky - Cincy is on the KY border)
PJ Fleck - WMU (the hot name this year; Fleck gives off a weird vibe; not convinced he will be as successful as others believe)
Kerry Coombs - tOSU assistant (was an assistant at Cincy under Brian Kelly and Butch Jones)

Looks like it will be tOSU Co-DC Luke Fickell taking over at Cincy

http://www.espn.com/college-footbal...cinnati-bearcats-hire-luke-fickell-head-coach

Agreed. But it's one of the best non-P5 opportunities out there.

Biased posters are biased.

Actually, you are correct. Houston, Boise, Memphis, USF, and ? are probably the 5 best nonP5 jobs right now. That being said, he could get a job next year with little trouble, either as a HC or DC. Hell, he could wait a year and get paid $1M per year next year as an SEC DC, which is a pretty solid compromise.

Being a college coach is a really fucking hard job. I'd take a breather if I could.

If you have the chance to coach a senior QB who threw for 2545 yards and 22 TDs and ran for 1425 yards and 15 TDs and a senior RB who averaged over 100 yards a game (if he doesn't go pro), you take it.

Back