• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2016 Panthers Thread: MOVING ON

Status
Not open for further replies.
More detailed article from the Charlotte Observer. It has the three players GMan likes and that he won't reach.
http://www.charlotteobserver.com/sports/nfl/carolina-panthers/article128976694.html

Read the whole thing but here are some tidbits:
And as the team potentially could pick up the next generation of franchise tight end this year (the class is very strong), Gettleman also likes Alabama product O.J. Howard (disclaimer, everybody who wasn’t already wowed by Howard is now, as he has had a phenomenal week of practice both as a pass catcher and as a blocker).
“Obviously the Alabama kid is interesting,” he said. “The O.J. Howard kid. You know, two years ago against Clemson, he had 3,000 yards receiving on two catches. He hasn’t disappointed. He’s got the strike zone to die for.”

I could be convinced to take Howard in the 1st. Problem is we have TEs in the pipeline, Greg is old but still in prime form, and the TE class is supposedly deep.

The Oher situation
Gettleman said he still has not contacted left tackle Michael Oher, who entered the concussion protocol after Week 3 and ended up on injured reserve in November. Teammate Trai Turner told the Observer in late December that as far as he knew, Oher still planned to play in 2017.
“You want to have as good a set of backup players as you can. Where we’re at right now is we’re gonna look at players, because right now we just don’t know,” he said. “I haven’t spoken to Michael in a little bit. I haven’t texted with him in a little bit. I want to back off and leave him alone. Because we want what’s best for Michael, really and truly.
“I have this crazy idea that these guys pour out their sweat and blood for us and the least we can do is treat them respectfully. We’re gonna look, but it’s more a function of making sure you build your team as strong as you can, because the backups play.”

GMan seems to be hinting that Oher will retire. I didn't realize it was that bad. That means he's probably going to spend in free agency.

Impressed by slot receivers
Midsize-to-small receivers abound in this particular crop of Senior Bowl participants, the most intriguing of which (to scouts) have been East Carolina’s Zay Jones, North Carolina’s Ryan Switzer and Eastern Washington’s Cooper Kupp. Gettleman agreed the group has been impressive.
“It’s a good group. We’re gonna make sure to turn over every rock,” he said. “There’s a nice group of that here, the tight ends and slot receivers.”

Definitely could use a speedy slot guy.

Gettleman declined to talk specifically about contract negotiations within the team, but said the staff is “just about ready to wrap up” the identification of those players the Panthers would like to bring back. He said it’s pretty obvious who the team will make a priority (and I would think Kawann Short and Ted Ginn Jr. are high on the list).
“We’re not doing rocket science,” he said. “Anybody could identify the guys (with whom) we’re trying to get deals done. And I really believe deals get done when they’re supposed to be done. I know we’re reasonable, and every agent that we’ve dealt with to this point has been very reasonable.”

Keep it simple, GMan.

Switzer is legit. Would be a great mid-round addition. Too bad he'll somehow end up with Brady in NE.

If someone gets a concussion in September that keeps them out for the year, they should retire for their own health.

That Villanova DE is 6-7/280. He's taller than everybody on the current roster and bigger than every player who isn't an OL or DT. If you look at the clip, he looks like he could carry 290 or more.

That Villanova DE is 6-7/280. He's taller than everybody on the current roster and bigger than every player who isn't an OL or DT. If you look at the clip, he looks like he could carry 290 or more.

I've stood next to Chandler Jones on the sidelines who is 6'5", 260 lbs and he looks huge compared to other football players. This guy would be noticably bigger than Jones.

He's 2 inches and 35 lbs bigger than Cam.

Where the Panthers are expected to spend their $60M cap room
http://pantherswire.usatoday.com/2017/01/30/4-positions-panthers-will-spend-their-cap-space-on/

Nothing new really. Our needs are pretty obvious to all.

Should Panthers target DeSean Jackson to replace Ginn? Ginn has too many drops for my taste.
http://pantherswire.usatoday.com/2017/01/25/panthers-free-agent-targets-wr-desean-jackson/

Also from link within that article
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...an-jackson-among-top10-no-2-wrs-in-separation

No full-season starter threw into tight windows more than Cam Newton this season. His receivers and the offense's uncreative routes are a big reason why. Benjamin was above average in contested catch conversion rate, the only player above 40 percent on the team, but the Panthers need to add a receiver who creates more separation this offseason.

I'd prefer to ditch Remmers, keep Short and Ginn, and spend big on tackles.

Ginn will come cheaper than a FA replacement. I'd rather try to replace him on Day 3 of the draft.

My dream would be to sign Berry but there's just no way. Maybe if we didn't have to pay for a RT and WR2/3.

saw an article in the Observer over the weekend supposing we'd take Peppers back

SD3 have you seen the meme making its rounds that is DEF J Jones staring at a girl's butt while recording an interview? Pretty sure you were the other dude who's witnessed him being a major creep in Charlotte

Quick look at post-senior bowl mocks.

NFL.com - OT Cam Robinson (but they say it's a reach)
BR - DE Derek Barnette (Cam out of the 1st)
SI - RB Fournette (Cam at #21)
SB Nation - RB Cook (Cam at #20)
All22 - RB Fournette (Cam at #12)

Looks like we'd be in a solid position to get Cam or Howard where we've been picking the last few years.

Howard seems like an unnecessary reach at #8

Would not be shocked if we signed Matt Kalil

I know. I'm saying we could have gotten him in the 20s.

G-Man doesn't reach for highly scouted players, especially those with past character issues. I wouldn't mind a "splash" pick with either Fournette or Cook, but would probably prefer a Safety, especially if Adams or Hooker are available.

Would rather pony up the dough in FA for tackles than for DBs, and G-Man typically doesn't spend much money on DBs, as we all know.

The problem is the OT FA and draft pool are uncharacteristically weak.

Yah, I think we're going to need a stop gap at LT again

Sounds like Oher might be retiring

Yeah. He's still not cleared for football activity.

Always easier said than done yo trade down, but I wouldn't be shocked if a team really wanted fournette or cam robinson

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back