• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2016 Panthers Thread: MOVING ON

Status
Not open for further replies.
Would the Panthers be in a position to trade down?

I'd think so. My perception is that trade downs rarely work because teams want to trade down a few spots and get a lot to do so.

Based on the trade value chart, the Panthers could trade the #8 pick (1400) and get something around #21 and a late 2nd plus maybe a Day 3 pick.

I really don't see anything I want at #8, and really don't want to take an RB, even if we need one, in Rd 1.

I'd be in favor of trading down a few and grabbing an extra pick or two.

Wait is Cam bad now? Weren't we salivating at picking him if by chance he fell to us?

2017 Panthers Draft Thread

He was always regarded as a reach that high because the OT class is so weak. But the fear is that the Chargers could take him.

This is fascinating.
http://www.catscratchreader.com/201...-panthers-should-trade-down-from-the-8th-pick

Since 2005, players drafted at the end of the first round are just as likely to be selected to multiple Pro Bowls as those drafted at the beginning of the first round.
Multiple Pro Bowlers Drafted Since 2005 - 1st Round
Draft PositionMultiple Pro BowlersPercentage
1-102932%
11-203437%
21-322831%
Based on the last 12 drafts, it really hasn’t mattered if teams select at the beginning or the end of the first round when predicting the likelihood of snagging a player who will make multiple Pro Bowls.
That's why I advocate trading down in the first round, but not out of the first round.

What Can Carolina Get By Trading Down?
Again, the ideal for me is to trade the 8th pick for a mid-to-late first round selection while acquiring additional picks in the second, third, and/or fourth rounds.
So just what can the Panthers potentially get by trading down in the first? Here are some examples from 2016 draft day trades:
The Cleveland Browns traded the 8th pick and a sixth round pick to the Tennessee Titans for the 15th pick, a third round pick (76th), and a second round pick in 2017.
The Tampa Bay Buccaneers traded the 9th overall pick to the Chicago Bears for the 11th pick and a fourth round pick (106th).
The Seattle Seahawks traded the 26th pick to the Denver Broncos for the 31st pick and a third round pick (94th).
By trading back just a couple of spots in the first round, Carolina could still wind up with a pick somewhere between 10th and 15th while acquiring an additional pick (or picks) in the second, third, or fourth rounds.
With Gettleman’s eye for finding value in Rounds 2-4, I’d take that deal in a heartbeat.
-----------------------

Last edited:
I guess the counter argument for that would be that the teams drafting later in the first round are usually better teams. Better teams have good GM's that draft better, thus they win more games, and teams that win tend to have more pro-bowlers. I would be willing to bet that the Patriots, Steelers, Seahawks and Packers would be more likely to draft a pro-bowler in picks 1 - 10 than the Browns, Jags, Chargers and Rams at 22 - 32.

Last edited:
Ron was on NFL insiders. Sounded like RB and TE are big priorities in the draft and that KK is likely getting franchise tagged. Let's hope it goes better than the last two.

Ron was on NFL insiders. Sounded like RB and TE are big priorities in the draft and that KK is likely getting franchise tagged. Let's hope it goes better than the last two.

We have seen what Cam is behind a good O-Line, and we have seen what he is behind a bad O-Line. If we can find a good OT in this draft, it's like we also drafted an MVP QB to go with it. If we don't, then we have an average QB and what we hope is a good RB/TE. It's really that simple, and if GMan isn't able to fix the O-line, one way or another, we are just flushing another year down the drain.

Last edited:
Even Cam's pee wee league OL can't block for him.

I hate the Patriots but man that was fun to watch. Lol @ Falcons.

I'd rather lose 100 Super Bowls the way the Panthers did last year than lose one the way the Falcons did tonight. Thoroughly enjoyable in every way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good chance Falcons @ Pats is the opening game next year.

Welcome to our shitty world, ATL!

Good chance Falcons @ Pats is the opening game next year.

Welcome to our shitty world, ATL!

They should. I would have said more likely Pittsburgh, but that's on the road for the Pats next season. None of the other home games would provide a ton of juice....except maybe the Panthers and I'd say no thanks to that buzzsaw

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back