• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2016 Panthers Thread: MOVING ON

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah. We still have Mayo, Jacobs, and Cash who rarely see the field. If Luke was out for extended time, I guess we would move TD to MLB and play a lot of nickel.

Really hoping they get one of the top 2 safeties, a stud pass rusher and then RB would be 3rd if it's Fournette. Hope it works out.

^talking about what I'd like in the first round of course

I'm down with that.

pretty down on this offseason but ealy trade registers pretty low. he had a great super bowl and a pretty crappy career as a panther.

we paid matt kalil stupid money and i'm not still sure why, our starting RT has been in the concussion protocol for 6 months and i'm super worried about the WR corps. i now want corey davis at #8 but doubt that will happen.

This was a pretty weak FA class for most positions, especially the two we needed most (OT/WR). Good players don't really make it to free agency anymore since the cap gets bigger every year.

Even though we overpaid him, i think Kalil was the 2nd best LT available in FA. And he's only 26ish; if he can be an average LT, it's a contract that's well-spent. His upside is a pro-bowl player. Plus with the rising cap, paying "too much" is sort of a relative term.

I'm a glass half-full kinda guy though.

Apparently, Kalil's contract isn't too bad.
http://www.catscratchreader.com/201...eres-a-closer-look-at-the-matt-kalil-contract
So while the guaranteed money will provide a disincentive to cut Kalil after only two seasons it is a real possibility after three if he doesn't perform. So I'm seeing more of a 3 year $24 million deal ($8 million pcy) unless he plays well enough to earn the big money on the back end. By then we will know what we got. If he earns it then great, we are still only paying on average $11 million per season for a quality starting LT. I'm sure that will bear out in the performance of Cam Newton and the offense and we wouldn't flinch at it. Again, it depends on Kalil playing at a high level, a big IF but one that is possible.

I think an average of 11mil a year is "that" bad of a contract. I have lost all faith in gettlemen, I mistook blind luck for #gettlemagic, I was wrong.
It's backloaded

If Kalil sucks then it won't cost that much

Worth the gamble imo

Concern about our WR's
http://www.catscratchreader.com/201...-benjamin-devin-funchess-ted-ginn-corey-brown

I'm concerned about us at this position as well. The good news is that New England has shown you don't have to be loaded at WR to win. I'm curious how our FA's from Minnesota turn out. There were reports of a toxic environment there (since disputed). When your OC quits mid-season, that's a bad sign. Maybe a change of venue will get these guys back to full potential. We'll also see how well our new WR coach can develop them. I would have pursued D Jax in the sppedster role to upgrade Ginn. Ginn dropped too many wide open TD's for me.

The Ringer's first mock draft had three WRs taken in the top ten. If that is based on anything more than conjecture (which it may very well not be), it wouldn't be viewed as outrageous if Gettleman opted for one of them at #8

The Ringer's first mock draft had three WRs taken in the top ten. If that is based on anything more than conjecture (which it may very well not be), it wouldn't be viewed as outrageous if Gettleman opted for one of them at #8

Ross had a private workout last week in Charlotte. I'm kind of hoping we make a move to trade picks up later in the 1st to get him. Drafting him at 8 would be an Al Davis type pick. I do think he'd be a great fit in the offense though. If we don't get him in the 1st, I think Curtis Samuel would be a solid choice in the 2nd.

I really wish Hooker or Adams would fall to 8, but no one has it happening.

Concern about our WR's
http://www.catscratchreader.com/201...-benjamin-devin-funchess-ted-ginn-corey-brown

I'm concerned about us at this position as well. The good news is that New England has shown you don't have to be loaded at WR to win. I'm curious how our FA's from Minnesota turn out. There were reports of a toxic environment there (since disputed). When your OC quits mid-season, that's a bad sign. Maybe a change of venue will get these guys back to full potential. We'll also see how well our new WR coach can develop them. I would have pursued D Jax in the sppedster role to upgrade Ginn. Ginn dropped too many wide open TD's for me.

I think New England has shown that you don't have to be loaded at WR to win when you have the GOAT at the helm.

it's less so about overall talent at WR with the Panthers imo than the offense being 1-dimensional. KB and Funchess are too similar and easy to scheme against without a guy to take the top off. Ginn was essential as a speed guy and he still had a shit ton of warts. We need a speed and YAC guy desperately in this corps.

Cam seems like a good pick where you use the two seconds to move back into the later first round.

Cam seems like a good pick where you use the two seconds to move back into the later first round.

I still think mock drafts underestimate teams' desperation for LT's. If he is the best or 2nd best OT in the class, I'd be surprised to see him slip past about 17 or so.

The line is a far bigger problem than the WRs. Cam can turn replacement-level WRs into viable NFL weapons if he's got a clean pocket; but he's been a pretty poor passer under pressure basically his entire NFL career.

The offense showed flashes last year even after Oher went out, but when the interior line started shuffling he had a much bigger problem. After Kalil went out during the Saints game, the offense went to shit. It'd be nice to get another tackle in the draft, but adding depth at guard and center is equally important.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back