• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2016 Panthers Thread: MOVING ON

Status
Not open for further replies.
Any RB is going to split time with Stewart.

I'm falling in love with John Ross at 8. He looks like the next Smitty with Ginn speed.

In today's NFL, WR > RB. Fournette's injury history concerns me some.

What's the word on Ross' route running? For a Smitty comparison, he has to both run good routes to get open AND be able to burn down field.

Josh Norris, a scout I follow, says that Ross is not just a track guy playing football but he is one of the better WRs because he can run good routes and has good hands.

I want OJ Howard. Ross would be tight too.

When you're drafting in the top 10, you have a real chance to hit on an OBJ/Julio/Evans-type talent. Cam's been playing with spare parts his entire career outside of Greg and old Smitty. Get him a home-run hitter.

agree with the oj howard/ ross pick. a two tight end set with howard and olsen would be automatic touchdown inside the 20

We shored up the defense in free agency. We need a playmaker.

I want OJ Howard. Ross would be tight too.

When you're drafting in the top 10, you have a real chance to hit on an OBJ/Julio/Evans-type talent. Cam's been playing with spare parts his entire career outside of Greg and old Smitty. Get him a home-run hitter.

My only beef with taking Howard with the 8 pick is that I feel like it's a deep TE draft and we could get someone like Butt in the 3rd.

My only beef with taking Howard with the 8 pick is that I feel like it's a deep TE draft and we could get someone like Butt in the 3rd.

Deep Butt. I like it. Not only that, but I feel like we could trade a 3rd or 4th pick and get a legit TE. Picking a TE at #8 just seems like too much especially with Olsen still in prime form. Hopefully we will have a much lower pick next year and draft a franchise TE in the 1st or another Cam on Day 2.

GMan described moving up 8 spots for Ealy as "gold."
http://www.charlotteobserver.com/sports/nfl/carolina-panthers/nfl-blog/article140569188.html

“It’s a heavy draft and it was an opportunity for us to move up. To you guys, eight spots doesn’t seem like much. But to me it’s gold,” Gettleman said.

Deep Butt. I like it. Not only that, but I feel like we could trade a 3rd or 4th pick and get a legit TE. Picking a TE at #8 just seems like too much especially with Olsen still in prime form. Hopefully we will have a much lower pick next year and draft a franchise TE in the 1st or another Cam on Day 2.

GMan described moving up 8 spots for Ealy as "gold."
http://www.charlotteobserver.com/sports/nfl/carolina-panthers/nfl-blog/article140569188.html

“It’s a heavy draft and it was an opportunity for us to move up. To you guys, eight spots doesn’t seem like much. But to me it’s gold,” Gettleman said.

I don't think having Olsen has any effect on wanting Howard. Cam did well with 2 TE sets back when we had Shockey. And having Howard in to pass block would be huge given our o-line concerns.

Yeah and when have we drafted a player when we currently have a player in their prime on the roster.

I don't think having Olsen has any effect on wanting Howard. Cam did well with 2 TE sets back when we had Shockey. And having Howard in to pass block would be huge given our o-line concerns.

I want to draft a TE. I just don't think we are hurting enough at TE to use the #8 pick compared to WR.

But of course, GMan likes to draft for the future with that top pick.

OJ Howard is supposedly the cream of the crop. Kind of like getting a Julio Jones in a deep WR draft. The other benefit of adding OJ is that TEs overall are paid cheaper than WRs, meaning you could have 2x Greg Olsen for the cost of 1 Julio. Twice the weapons for the cost. I do agree we need to get a speedy WR but I'd really like us to somehow pull out an impact player. Whether that's OJ, Fournette or someone else. Just look at what Elliot did for Dallas. If Fournette is our version of that, I'd be ok going that route and Jstew can be the backup/3down guy.

You don't reach for a player at #8. You draft the best player you can get and build the offense/defense around him. If Howard is the best player available there, you take him.

I do feel like Gman is going to trade back into the first this year. The way he's setup picks, I wouldn't be surprised if we jump back into the 1st using our 2nd to pick up a RB, OL or perhaps WR based on who falls. Just feels like he might be positioned to do that. Worst case, we get 3 guys in the 1st 2 rounds.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back