• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2016 Panthers Thread: MOVING ON

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thoughts on Dobbs as a mid/late-round pick?

The Panthers, according to the Times Free Press in Chattanooga, Tennessee, have held a workout for Tennessee quarterback Josh Dobbs, showing that the organization is at least considering a quarterback.

Dobbs (6-foot-3, 216) is considered one of the top 10 quarterbacks in the draft, likely to be selected between the fourth and sixth rounds.

He threw 27 touchdown passes and completed 63 percent of his passes for 2,946 yards this past season. He also rushed for 831 yards and 12 touchdowns.
http://www.espn.com/blog/carolina-p...-consider-using-a-draft-pick-on-a-quarterback

I don't think he really translates to the NFL as a thrower so i'd pass but that's just my opinion. Think this team needs a lot more than a backup QB to replace DA once he hangs it up. If we have to play someone other than Cam over the next 3-6 years more than a game or two the team is SOL anyway.

This.

Webb should be the top backup contender when DA is done anyway. I think we should bring in a mobile QB to camp but not waste a pick.

Yea, Webb isn't the answer either. But it's not a priority this season IMO.

More capable than anybody else we've got. He can mimic Cam better than any other QB in the league and has staring experience.

But nobody can do what Cam does. IDK if it's a good idea to try and mimic what he does if he goes out and we have to play a backup. Given the way the offense seems to be moving I don't think its a necessity to really go towards a rushing/dual threat QB really.

Are you all looking for the QB of the future already? What question is Webb not the answer to at 30 years old?

I think you have to start looking toward the backup QB of the future in the next few years. We all know how valuable a good one could be either as a backup or an asset. But I don't think you plan on anyone other than Cam being your starter for the next 10 years. You just seem a lot higher on Webb than anyone else. Only reason he's on the team is because he can do other things besides play QB. If DA hangs it up, the Panthers would go looking for an actual #2, not turn to Joe Webb would be my guess.

If Joe Webb were a true, servicable backup quarterback at this stage of his career, he'd be on another roster taking snaps every week instead of chasing down punt returners for the Panthers.

If Joe Webb were a true, servicable backup quarterback at this stage of his career, he'd be on another roster taking snaps every week instead of chasing down punt returners for the Panthers.

So if he was a serviceable backup, he'd be a starter?

I would rather not use a pick on a QB in this draft. Would rather pick up a UDFA and stash him on the practice squad.

2017 Panthers Draft Thread

I would rather not use a pick on a QB in this draft. Would rather pick up a UDFA and stash him on the practice squad.

Agreed. There's no urgency.

Fournette weighs in at 228 at his pro day, down from 240 at the combine.... really think he will be the pick if he's still on the board.

Fournette weighs in at 228 at his pro day, down from 240 at the combine.... really think he will be the pick if he's still on the board.

Isn't the point of Fournette that he can run over people and make his own holes? Doesn't dropping to 228 hurt him more than help him in that role?

Isn't the point of Fournette that he can run over people and make his own holes? Doesn't dropping to 228 hurt him more than help him in that role?

I believe one of the concerns was his weight being an injury risk. Rivera mentioned some 'big' RBs do ok but others don't last in the NFL. Something along those lines.

On the QB front, I think we should look to pick up a QB sooner rather than later. If we could use a 5th or 6th. It's not so much a question of replacing Cam, DA or Webb as much as it would be nice to have a future QB that can be groomed by Cam and DA. DA has a wealth of knowledge and could be good for a young QB. Cam's an exceptional talent, but I'm not sure he'd be an excellent teacher. Your also not going to hit on every QB pick, so we need to take a shot here and there and trade the ones we don't want like similar to what New England does. At least until we find the real future QB.

228 and running a low 4.4s is plenty big enough. 240 and running a 4.5 is fine too but I think he's at his best at 225-230. That's still enormous to be that fast. Still need a little bit of wiggle to excel in the NFL.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back