• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2016 Panthers Thread: MOVING ON

Status
Not open for further replies.
Completely agree. And I realize I come off as a ridiculous homer with this statement, but you play that game 10 times we win 9 of them. The way the SB actually played out was about the worst combination of missteps and bad luck that could possibly have happened. I hate feeling like we were the better team and lost.

I was extremely confident the first week, hot off the Arizona domination. I started to feel a little uneasy over the second week. I just had a feeling the pass rush could really disrupt the flow of the game. Broncos won most of their games last year by turning them into unwatchable rock fights, and making huge defensive plays late to seal them; the SB was no different. I agree that we were "better" - but i'd rather be the the worse team that won.

The Saints are going to be terrible this year, but still pull out a few wins at home to ensure they don't get Brees' successor. I love it.

They should have set Brees free a year ago. When it comes to finding QBs, sometimes it's good to be terrible for a year. But by all means keep thinking 37 YO Drew Brees with zero weapons and a shitty defense are playoff contenders.

I made all those same arguments about the Superbowl 3 months ago and was shouted down.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

They should have set Brees free a year ago. When it comes to finding QBs, sometimes it's good to be terrible for a year. But by all means keep thinking 37 YO Drew Brees with zero weapons and a shitty defense are playoff contenders.

The article specifically says they find it interesting that the Panthers who made the Superbowl didn't feel it was a player away from a title, while the 7-9 Saints, 2 years running, do.

Good read.

The Brees situation seems like it's a dude who achieved hero status in the city and the team doesn't just want to cut ties with the guy who brought them the Lombardi trophy even if his cap hit is absolutely ridiculous at this point

The Brees situation seems like it's a dude who achieved hero status in the city and the team doesn't just want to cut ties with the guy who brought them the Lombardi trophy even if his cap hit is absolutely ridiculous at this point

Yep. The Saints are a classic example of a franchise that needs to draft their QB of the future, lose for a year, then draft a better QB or fill their roster with talented high round picks.

The Saints have many organizational problems outside of simply Brees. They continue to basically borrow Cap credit every year to trick their fans into thinking they have a chance. So instead of just tanking and starting from scratch they have been getting by with mediocrity and paying high prices for free agent players to win the offseason. I mean fucking CJ spiller is getting paid 4.5 million this year, to go along with 25 million in dead money from cutting shitty contract players, and only 400,000 in cap space.

Isn't Garrett Grayson, their 2014 3rd rounder, supposed to be the eventual Brees replacement?

True, but they could just Kobe him and tank around him until he retires or asks to be traded

They should trade Brees to give him another chance at a SB, and stock up on draft choices. There are a lot of teams built to win now who could be serious contenders with a HOF QB.

They should trade Brees to give him another chance at a SB, and stock up on draft choices. There are a lot of teams built to win now who could be serious contenders with a HOF QB.

I'm not sure how many picks they could get for Brees. He has a lot of mileage on him. I can't see anything more than a 3rd and change.

Saints would have to eat a lot of the salary (if that's possible) because nobody is trading for that cap number

I agree with both of you.

But what would an owner of Texans, Jets, Bills - teams with a great defense but really bad QB's - give in draft picks to win the next SB? It would be a short term, win now play. Just need one desperate owner.

And yeah, the Saints would have to eat Brees' salary in the short term. But what would they pay to stockpile picks while tanking a year? They could set themselves up for the next decade.

I'm not sure how many picks they could get for Brees. He has a lot of mileage on him. I can't see anything more than a 3rd and change.

It would be super shitty thing as an organization to do to Brees but for awhile the rumor was that he was going to be traded to the Browns for there two first round picks, though I don't think it went very far.

2016/2017 Panthers Thread: Hog Mollies Acquired

True. I was thinking about reasonable front offices, not the Browns.

Last edited:
Does Brees care about winning another championship? Again, I go back to Kobe, based on his actions it seems like Brees would rather stay in NO and get paid to play for a bad team.

North Carolina Trooper John Burgin told ESPN.com that Panthers linebacker Shaq Thompson said he was reaching for a cell phone he'd dropped when he crossed the center line and collided with former Duke quarterback Anthony Boone early Sunday morning. Burgin said Boone was not wearing a seat belt and believed to have suffered a broken pelvis and broken ribs. He said Thompson had alcohol in his system but was below the legal limit and not impaired. He said alcohol was not considered a factor in the accident.

Sounds like Thompson had some residual alcohol from the night before since the crash happened around 7:45am Sunday morning.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back