• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2016 Panthers Thread: MOVING ON

Status
Not open for further replies.
Perhaps, but there has also been basically no good news on Williams' performance

Yeah. I've seen this mentioned as more about Williams. Like I've said before, I don't see how we don't draft a OL early next year unless Williams is a pure stud or the DEs fall off.

Yeah. I've seen this mentioned as more about Williams. Like I've said before, I don't see how we don't draft a OL early next year unless Williams is a pure stud or the DEs fall off.
True

It's so sweet to be drafting for depth only for the foreseeable future

Maybe some safety or RB help too, but no glaring needs

I've been wanting to draft an OL early for years now, but Gman just doesn't see the need. I'd love to see it, but I don't have much hope.

I think GMan is just really picky about the OL. The team is so deep at this point that it only makes sense to draft at a few positions early.

QB - No need
RB/FB - Doubt GMan will draft one early regardless of need
WR - Could possibly see drafting a #3 WR early
TE - This could happen if there was a guy that good
OT - Huge need
OG - Need for depth
C - Possible
DE - Need at least for depth
DT - Butler covers the depth, GMan needs to write checks
LB - Even in the worst case scenario, Davis retires and Shaq moves over and Klein fills Shaq's spot; any pick would be to replace Klein who is gone after his rookie deal is up
CB - No need barring absolute collapse of the rookie class
S - Very possible

I've been wanting to draft an OL early for years now, but Gman just doesn't see the need. I'd love to see it, but I don't have much hope.

I think it may have to do with his best player available philosophy. Good OT's fly off the board early. So if you're drafting from where we have been drafting the past few years, you could easily be reaching for the 6th or 7th best OT in the draft, as opposed to the best or 2nd best player at another position.

Last edited:
I think it may have to do with his best player available philosophy. Good OT's fly off the board early. So if you're drafting from where we have been drafting the past few years, you could easily be reaching for the 6th or 7th best OT in the draft, as opposed to the best or 2nd best player at another position.

I agree with this.

Oh that's definitely it. That's what I meant by saying GMan is picking about the OL. But I think we're at the point at more than a few positions where BPA doesn't make any sense.

SI NFL writer Andy Benoit is breaking down team notes on twitter. Has some pretty good Panthers thoughts in his timeline today. Link

The most intriguing aspect of camp so far has been the evident continued maturation and improvement by Funchess. With KB back healthy, defenses now have to account for their size, Ginn's speed, Olsen's general greatness, and Cam's legs in the passing game (while also remembering to deal with the other backs coming out of the backfield).

The most intriguing aspect of camp so far has been the evident continued maturation and improvement by Funchess. With KB back healthy, defenses now have to account for their size, Ginn's speed, Olsen's general greatness, and Cam's legs in the passing game (while also remembering to deal with the other backs coming out of the backfield).

Yeah Offense is gonna be nasty if the line can keep Cam upright. That's really the only if on that side of the ball

Considering he's only been playing WR for 2 years total in his career, and it sometimes takes even great WR's 3 years to hit their stride in the NFL, there is really no telling what Funchess' ceiling could be. If he has improved substantially since the end of last year, then he is going to be a very solid 2. I was concerned when his 3 biggest knocks out of the combine were his speed, hands, and head. Kudos to Proehl for giving him the coaching and guidance he needed to make the jump.

It's amazing how quickly the WR corps has gone from a liability to a strength.

I think GMan is just really picky about the OL. The team is so deep at this point that it only makes sense to draft at a few positions early.

QB - No need
RB/FB - Doubt GMan will draft one early regardless of need
WR - Could possibly see drafting a #3 WR early
TE - This could happen if there was a guy that good
OT - Huge need
OG - Need for depth
C - Possible
DE - Need at least for depth
DT - Butler covers the depth, GMan needs to write checks
LB - Even in the worst case scenario, Davis retires and Shaq moves over and Klein fills Shaq's spot; any pick would be to replace Klein who is gone after his rookie deal is up
CB - No need barring absolute collapse of the rookie class
S - Very possible

You only crossed off three positions, lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back