• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2016 rio olympic thread

Every 100m sprinter medal winner (men's) since 1896 on the same track.

final_image1_top.jpg

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...g-history.html?smid=tw-nytimes&smtyp=cur&_r=0

But how does Bolt compare to the full Olympic field in the 100-meter dash – not just this year, but against every Olympic medalist since 1896? To answer that question, we created a massive (and imaginary) track with 88 lanes – one for every medal awarded in the 100-meter dash in the modern Olympics.

I don't really get the criticism, seems like the internet just complaining because it likes to complain. Every event could be streamed, tape delay is an obvious move for them (Like they aren't going to show the ladies gymnastics during primetime? People are upset because they already found out who won? Stay off the internet and social media, or watch it when it occurs - that's not NBC's fault)

This doesn't seem like a very realistic argument in 2016. People get SportsCenter alerts directly to their phone telling them who won shit (or friends texting, etc.). Hard to avoid. And not everyone can watch b/c work.

NBC can still show some stuff live in Tokyo since they're 13 hours ahead, if they hold gymnastics or swimming events in the morning. Going to be interesting to see what they do because people are only going to be less willing to watch delayed content over the next four years

But what is NBC supposed to do then? Still not seeing how events getting spoiled is NBC's fault. I guess NBC just needs to go to the IOC and say "guys, you're only gonna do certain events during the hours of 8-11:30 pm EST because our population can't stay unplugged for more than 30 seconds or they have to work or both - cool?"

NBC's own stream spoiled he gymnastics results as they should have. Definitely not realistic.

But what is NBC supposed to do then? Still not seeing how events getting spoiled is NBC's fault. I guess NBC just needs to go to the IOC and say "guys, you're only gonna do certain events during the hours of 8-11:30 pm EST because our population can't stay unplugged for more than 30 seconds or they have to work or both - cool?"

Ummmmm ... YES!!!! And they do this anyway, that's why swimming was live in Beijing. $$$ talks and they're forking over a boatload to the IOC.

There was no excuse for gymnastics not to be live in Rio. They thought they could get away with it being delayed, but they were wrong

Even with the cash they are forking over I don't think NBC has enough clout to dictate to the IOC the times for all the marquee events the US viewers are going to be interested in.....but perhaps I'm wrong

Ummmmm ... YES!!!! And they do this anyway, that's why swimming was live in Beijing. $$$ talks and they're forking over a boatload to the IOC.

There was no excuse for gymnastics not to be live in Rio. They thought they could get away with it being delayed, but they were wrong

You can't do all three of gymnastics, swimming, and track live. There just isn't time.

The same people who argue for this usually turn around and get pissed when ESPN schedules the football games they plan to attend at noon, rather than 3:30 or 7pm (but certainly don't mind inconveniencing the people attending the Olympics in person and asking them to go see gymnastics/swimming/track in person at 8am local time so the east coast viewers at home can be comfortably unspoiled in prime time).

It's where they would have been when WR bolt finished. Ran 100m in 13 seconds at 1896 games

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Gymnastics should have been live on NBC in the afternoon. Simple as that.

Even with the cash they are forking over I don't think NBC has enough clout to dictate to the IOC the times for all the marquee events the US viewers are going to be interested in.....but perhaps I'm wrong

As I've already mentioned, they did this with swimming and gymnastics in Beijing, which is 12 hours ahead of the East Coast.

Swimming was scheduled in the morning in Beijing and at night in Rio. This was clearly for US TV purposes: http://www.espn.com/olympics/swimming/news/story?id=2639072

Last edited:
Even if you didn't have the results spoiled for you online, NBC sorta would do that anyway with gymnastics if the US didn't contend. Like the men's they didn't show until late in the broadcast, and only a tiny bit.

Tokyo is 13 hours ahead. A similar morning set up for swimming and track and field would work well.

Kind of weird that Europe is the worst TV spot for an Olympics since NBC is so protective of its primetime broadcast, and that means no live events during that time. London still did well ratings wise but I just can't see people going for an all-delayed primetime broadcast anymore

We had a newborn during London so we watched events at all times of the day and night. It was great. That won't work well again though.

My brother and I were talking today and id be interested to see a lot of these Olympians next to average dudes. I think sometimes we don't understand how good these men and women are cause we have nothing to compare it too

Like what if we took average man/woman and every event final had an average person line behind the pack like they do the world record lines (or even a real person)

My brother and I were talking today and id be interested to see a lot of these Olympians next to average dudes. I think sometimes we don't understand how good these men and women are cause we have nothing to compare it too

Like what if we took average man/woman and every event final had an average person line behind the pack like they do the world record lines (or even a real person)

If you're going to do it, do it right. Let an average person compete in each event final so that the world can see the actual difference. I would totally sign up to be the guy that just kinda steps off the 10m platform and falls feet first into the water. Who wants to be the person that runs across the mat, stops in the middle to do a somersault, and then finishes running across the mat in the floor routine?

Back