• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2016 U.S. Open Contest - NjDeac77 WINS!

These Usga guys suck. Talk about too much starch in their collars.

The USGA can't triple cut already the fastest greens in the world and roll them twice in one day... And then be shocked that balls on the green may roll on their own without any influence from the players. It's an absurd ruling, in my opinion, and an even more atrocious handling of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The handling of it is appallingly bad.

I keep coming back to the thought that the usga must be absolutely convinced they've got DJ dead on the video to have stuck their neck out like this.

The USGA can't triple cut already the fastest greens in the world and roll them twice in one day... And then be shocked that balls on the green may roll on their own without any influence from the players. It's an absurd ruling, in my opinion, and an even more atrocious handling of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I understand what you are saying, but my question is this: If this is the case, why is this the only time it has happened? (Lowry said that he caused the ball to move.)

Just wait until next year when players will stop and ask for a video booth ruling on the course mid round. should do wonders for pace of play.

I understand what you are saying, but my question is this: If this is the case, why is this the only time it has happened? (Lowry said that he caused the ball to move.)

It's happened to another player today (can't remember name) and it was ruled he did not cause it to move.

2016 U.S. Open Contest - Entries due 6/16 6:45am EST

It happened earlier today to some random euro romain wattel

The handling of it is appallingly bad.

I keep coming back to the thought that the usga must be absolutely convinced they've got DJ dead on the video to have stuck their neck out like this.

I don't get how the ball can roll backwards due to DJ's actions based on where his putter was when it moved. But, maybe the USGA has something else? Barring some other video evidence, I think it was just due to the fact that the greens are absurdly fast.

It's happened to another player today (can't remember name) and it was ruled he did not cause it to move.

It Happened to Phil earlier in the tournament as well. Was determined he did not cause the ball to move

It happened earlier today to some random euro romaine wattel

Thanks. I didn't realize that.

Another thing that I've never understood. Why do players take practice putts about one-quarter inch from the ball? In this case, of course, the ball didn't move during the practice stroke, but I've just never understood why the player didn't have the putter 2 or 3 inches away from the ball during a practice stroke, instead of trying to be almost touching the ball. I would always be afraid that I was going to hit the ball during a practice stroke if I had the putter less than a half inch from the ball during a practice stroke.

Also, on greens this fast, the wind from the putter going by the ball during a practice stroke might possibly make the ball move....or at least dislodge the ball somehow so that when the putter was placed behind the ball to address it, the ball might move. This, in fact, might be what the ruling is going to be here.

ETA: Don't think any ruling is going to matter now. All of DJ's challengers have gone into full reverse.

Last edited:
DJ leaves no doubt, and that has to be one of the best final approach shots ever in a US Open.

Thanks. I didn't realize that.

Another thing that I've never understood. Why do players take practice putts about one-quarter inch from the ball? In this case, of course, the ball didn't move during the practice stroke, but I've just never understood why the player didn't have the putter 2 or 3 inches away from the ball during a practice stroke, instead of trying to be almost touching the ball. I would always be afraid that I was going to hit the ball during a practice stroke if I had the putter less than a half inch from the ball during a practice stroke.

Also, on greens this fast, the wind from the putter going by the ball during a practice stroke might possibly make the ball move....or at least dislodge the ball somehow so that when the putter was placed behind the ball to address it, the ball might move. This, in fact, might be what the ruling is going to be here.

ETA: Don't think any ruling is going to matter now. All of DJ's challengers have gone into full reverse.

Sweet edit at the end. What was that about DJ not being mentally strong enough? With all the bs with the penalty shot hanging over his head, that was one the most clutch finishes I can recall

Sweet edit at the end. What was that about DJ not being mentally strong enough? With all the bs with the penalty shot hanging over his head, that was one the most clutch finishes I can recall

Agreed. I'm happy for him. He has the game to win a lot more of 'em. As Jack Nicklaus said earlier, the first one is always the toughest.

Really happy for Dustin Johnson - so sick of the USGA impacting tournaments like this. Complete and utter garbage. Whoever made the decision to go find DJ on the course and tell him they may or may not be giving him a penalty should be fired. The video was absurdly clear - either sack up and call a penalty or don't. It's not up to the player to determine if a car went by, a train made the ground rumble, a little wind hit the ball, or a fucking worm moved underground. The player is the only one who knows if they caused the ball to move and DJ's putter was still hovering above the ground when it did - and had been for a couple seconds. Just appalling and only serves to justify all the criticism golf gets for letting fans call in and assessing reverse penalties.

I doubt I won, but this is by far the best finish I've ever had -

1) Dustin Johnson -4
T2) Jim Furyk -1
T8) Jason Day +2
T37) Angel Cabrera and Jordan Spieth +9

(and my 6th was Webb, womp womp)

Dustin got me most of my money back...

I'm just glad he played competent golf for four rounds and took his time putting. That shot on 18... perfect.

I doubt I won, but this is by far the best finish I've ever had -

1) Dustin Johnson -4
T2) Jim Furyk -1
T8) Jason Day +2
T37) Angel Cabrera and Jordan Spieth +9

(and my 6th was Webb, womp womp)

Westwood killed me

DJ -4
Na +1
Day +2
Westwood +8

+7 (with the winner)= +2