• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2016 U.S. Open Contest - NjDeac77 WINS!

Boy is Westwood a CHOKER!! Three bogeys and a double in the first five holes. Three of which are birdie holes.

DJ has had three wedges and missed them ALL. Now his ball moved while putting. He has also missed several EASY putts.

Crappy ruling in favor of DJ. That's one thing I hate about pro golf. A guy hits a terrible shot into an impossible lie, then he gets a ruling like DJ got. That's at least a 1-shot gift to DJ. He supposedly got to move his ball because an immovable tower would would interfere with his next shot....but the shot he then hit was in the exact same trajectory...over the tower...that he would have had without the ruling. The only thing different was that he got complete relief from an impossible lie....which he had because he hit a bad shot. That kind of stuff sucks.

If they are giving DJ a penalty three holes after the issue, it's utter BS and shows the lunacy of golf.

He called for a ref. The ref made a decision. It's absurd that a different ruling can be made later.

Don't give me, "golf is different"

If they change it, golf is total BS.

Maybe in baseball, they call a third strike on a guy rather than giving him the HR on the next pitch that happened three innings ago.

If they are giving DJ a penalty three holes after the issue, it's utter BS and shows the lunacy of golf.

He called for a ref. The ref made a decision. It's absurd that a different ruling can be made later.

Don't give me, "golf is different"

If they change it, golf is total BS.

Maybe in baseball, they call a third strike on a guy rather than giving him the HR on the next pitch that happened three innings ago.

Except they didn't give him a penalty yet. They are going to have him review the video in the trailer BEFORE he signs his card.

The reason this isn't as onerous as your shrieking would indicate is that the rules official at the time could only make his ruling based on what DJ told him. TV coverage has given us years of examples of the initial ruling on the course later being changed based on video review. And since the wind really isn't blowing today, it's going to be really tough to see how they don't rule that DJ caused the ball to move. If they don't think he did, then it would be a tacit admission that they (the USGA) let the greens get out of control.

And for the record, I think they are going to give him the penalty. I don't think they'd have told him the situation on 12 tee otherwise.

Based on this official who is explaining it, DJ really has no recourse here. DJ basically has to explain WHAT could have caused the ball to move other than his own putter. IMO, once he sees the video he's going to have no way to claim anything reasonable other than his own putter caused it to move.

LK, you've played a lot of golf. Why would DJ get relief from that terrible lie when the given reason....tower interference....wasn't changed at all by the ruling? It looked to me like the only thing the ruling did was let him move the ball out of an impossible lie.

So he took 2 practice strokes, lined up behind the ball but did not sole the putter. Seems to me way more likely that being on the fastest greens on earth is more likely to cause a ball to move a little than not touching the ball or soling you putter behind it.

This is terrible...they have told DJ it might be a penalty, but not let the rest of the field know.\

This type of micro-rules analysis is driving people away from golf.

The CHAIRMAN of THE RULES of GOLF Commission TOLD him it was OK. It's absolutely, totally absurd and without merit that a decision like this can be change LONG AFTER the play happens.

LK, you've played a lot of golf. Why would DJ get relief from that terrible lie when the given reason....tower interference....wasn't changed at all by the ruling? It looked to me like the only thing the ruling did was let him move the ball out of an impossible lie.

Temporary immovable obstruction. It's a rule that has been around forever and is misapplied sometimes. What's amusing is that he can claim the tower was in his way when in the rough and then hit right over it once given relief. Very reminiscent of Els getting a similar ruling on 18 at Oakmont in 94.

The CHAIRMAN of THE RULES of GOLF Commission TOLD him it was OK. It's absolutely, totally absurd and without merit that a decision like this can be change LONG AFTER the play happens.

I certainly understand your point on this, but it really doesn't matter. It's DJ's word, vs the high def TV monitor and I have a bad feeling about this. I don't think he caused it to move, but this is the stodgy USGA who creates and administers the rules of golf. They won't budge. DJ is going to look at that video and he better have some plausible reason (dimple on the green, spike mark under ball, etc) why the ball moved.

I don't think he caused it to move either. The greens are rolling 15!

Temporary immovable obstruction. It's a rule that has been around forever and is misapplied sometimes. What's amusing is that he can claim the tower was in his way when in the rough and then hit right over it once given relief. Very reminiscent of Els getting a similar ruling on 18 at Oakmont in 94.

That's what I'm saying that sucks. With a good lie, the tower was obviously no problem (as we saw)...but with his original lie it really still wasn't a problem, because he couldn't hit the ball that far anyway from that lie. And he had that lie because he hit the ball there. So I think it's complete BS that he gets to move the ball from an impossible lie to a clean lie. That tower wasn't going to come into play with either shot...from the rough or from the place where he was allowed to drop.

When professional golfers hit shots into bad places, they should have to hit them out of those places...just like everyone else has to do.

I don't have a problem with them pulling him off the course after the completion of play to discuss the ruling. I have a huge problem with them injecting themselves into the finish on the 12th tee and changing the outcome. DJ knows he might be screwed and the rest of the field is now confused (assuming they've finally been told). The ruling was going to happen after the round no matter what. Why impact the last 2 hours of the tournament by injecting doubt into it.

I don't think he caused it to move, but I'm pretty certain he's going to be penalized and it sucks.

Rory, Speith and Fowler have ALL tweeted that this is USGA is a JOKE.

Dustin just missed a putt. You can't tell me this doesn't effect his play.

Rory, Speith and Fowler have ALL tweeted that this is USGA is a JOKE.

Dustin just missed a putt. You can't tell me this doesn't effect his play.

I think he's on tilt and I think it's completely changed the final 2 hours of the tournament since all other players have been notified.

The USGA might get Scott Piercy as their champion. They deserve it.

I'll say this, the USGA must be pretty convinced DJ is going to see the light on whatever video evidence they have. Otherwise there was zero reason to do this.

Back