• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2016 U.S. Open Contest - NjDeac77 WINS!

I ended up -2. I've never won so hoping I got this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I considered swapping Louie and Hoffman for Sergio and Na, but didn't. Only cost me 10 strokes.

Think I got this in the bag:

Day: +2
Schwartzel: +7
Spieth: +9
Grillo: +13
TOTAL: +31

That's what I'm saying that sucks. With a good lie, the tower was obviously no problem (as we saw)...but with his original lie it really still wasn't a problem, because he couldn't hit the ball that far anyway from that lie. And he had that lie because he hit the ball there. So I think it's complete BS that he gets to move the ball from an impossible lie to a clean lie. That tower wasn't going to come into play with either shot...from the rough or from the place where he was allowed to drop.

When professional golfers hit shots into bad places, they should have to hit them out of those places...just like everyone else has to do.

Complaints about the relief DJ got from the TV tower is misplaced. Line-of-sight relief for temporary immovable obstructions is standard operating procedure and is really the only way to go. Modern TV productions requires huge towers and grandstands and all kind of unnatural and temporary things to be erected all over the course. If they are between you and the hole, you get relief. Where the relief takes you is a bit subjective and up to the referee on site - but relief is pretty much automatic.

Complaints about the relief DJ got from the TV tower is misplaced. Line-of-sight relief for temporary immovable obstructions is standard operating procedure and is really the only way to go. Modern TV productions requires huge towers and grandstands and all kind of unnatural and temporary things to be erected all over the course. If they are between you and the hole, you get relief. Where the relief takes you is a bit subjective and up to the referee on site - but relief is pretty much automatic.

I understand that....but the relief he took wasn't any relief at all from the tower. He just moved the ball straight back a couple of club lengths from a terrible lie to a clean lie. The trajectory of the shot over the tower didn't change at all. That was my point. The only thing the ruling changed was to give him a perfect lie instead of an almost impossible lie. The reason behind it...in this case....was a scam. DJ didn't need relief from the tower. He needed relief from an impossible lie. He just used the tower as an excuse.

I understand that....but the relief he took wasn't any relief at all from the tower. He just moved the ball straight back a couple of club lengths from a terrible lie to a clean lie. The trajectory of the shot over the tower didn't change at all. That was my point. The only thing the ruling changed was to give him a perfect lie instead of an almost impossible lie. The reason behind it...in this case....was a scam. DJ didn't need relief from the tower. He needed relief from an impossible lie. He just used the tower as an excuse.

Big difference in the trajectory possible from the rough versus the lie he ended up with. Maybe he hits a low knuckler from there, the tower was clearly on his line, certainly could have hit it. People are so programmed for the rules of golf to screw the player they freak out when God forbid a rule benefits someone.

If they don't want players getting drops, don't put towers near obvious lines of play. There isn't a player in the field who wouldn't have taken relief there.

Think I got this in the bag:

Day: +2
Schwartzel: +7
Spieth: +9
Grillo: +13
TOTAL: +31

Well I beat at least one person then (+30). The Day/McIlroy combo did not work wonders, and Bill Haas again failed to get his first top-10 in a major.

Big difference in the trajectory possible from the rough versus the lie he ended up with. Maybe he hits a low knuckler from there, the tower was clearly on his line, certainly could have hit it. People are so programmed for the rules of golf to screw the player they freak out when God forbid a rule benefits someone.

If they don't want players getting drops, don't put towers near obvious lines of play. There isn't a player in the field who wouldn't have taken relief there.

I don't fault the player at all. I've personally always had an issue when nearest relief involves a change in surface, but sometimes that's unavoidable. Interesting that it was Oakmont where the most famous such relief happened back in 94.

Did anyone else catch Rory's comment that he would have personally stopped playing until a ruling was rendered? Bravo, although I suspect the USGA would have slapped a slow play penalty on him.

I still can't get over what a shit show this was, and I also can't get over the fact that Dustin Johnson with all his seeming demons was able to overcome it in spectacular fashion. It was just his time. And now that the lid is off, I expect we are going to see him pick off a handful of majors in the next 5-10 years.

FINAL STANDINGS:

The winning team was: DJ, Spieth, Sergio, Oosthuizen, Lowry and Chris Wood.

Place Entrant Low 4 Bonus Total
1 NjDeac77 2 -8 -6
2 Wrangor 3 -5 -2
2 HTTD 6 -8 -2
2 Presideac 6 -8 -2
5 CumberlandDeac 6 -5 1
6 RJKarl 7 -5 2
7 stonz 7 - 7
8 bluefish 12 -3 9
8 CDeacMan 14 -5 9
8 texasdeac 12 -3 9
8 DCDeac 14 -5 9
12 morrison2951 15 -5 10
12 scooter84 15 -5 10
14 cville deac 16 -5 11
14 AnonymousDeac 16 -5 11
14 nomadic 11 - 11
14 High Right 16 -5 11
18 deac29 18 -5 13
19 Tex98 17 -3 14
20 Fayettenam 20 -5 15
20 cpadeac2010 15 - 15
22 CarlosBerg 18 - 18
22 TBDeac 18 - 18
24 mebanedeac 19 - 19
25 MrBojanglesSon 20 - 20
26 DeacdeTejas 22 - 22
27 Les Grossman 23 - 23
28 wake20 24 - 24
28 WakeForest Fan 24 - 24
30 1834 25 - 25
31 timdunkandthefunk 26 - 26
32 Baller Deac 27 - 27
32 LiquidKarma 27 - 27
34 Hogie 29 - 29
35 deacz 30 - 30
35 WFU71 30 - 30
37 DeaconSlim2.0 31 - 31
37 MrBojanglesDad 31 - 31
39 Teamramrod 35 - 35
40 MrBojangles CUT -5 CUT
40 PhonsoINT CUT -5 CUT
40 aoc3281 CUT - CUT
40 FckVwls CUT - CUT
40 matt CUT - CUT
40 rocket CUT - CUT
40 bobknightfan CUT - CUT
40 deac6 CUT - CUT
40 oldschooldeac CUT - CUT
40 Sleepy CUT -3 CUT
40 1985 Deac CUT - CUT
40 Deacsfan27 CUT - CUT
40 CDeacManBro CUT - CUT
40 Partree CUT - CUT
40 ChicdeaC CUT - CUT
40 Coach O CUT -5 CUT
40 YDIW CUT - CUT

Thanks for running Sleepy (and thanks for making me change my Adam Scott pick - ended up being Lowry FTW).

But it's not an excuse, it is the rule. Once you drop there is no requirement to hit the ball in any certain direction. Maybe he didn't mean to hit it back over the tower, he might have pushed it. Maybe your original lie places the immovable obstruction between you and the hole, but, because of the angle and location of hazards you were never even going to hit it toward the hole anyway - doesn't matter, you are still entitled to relief.

Did anyone else catch Rory's comment that he would have personally stopped playing until a ruling was rendered? Bravo, although I suspect the USGA would have slapped a slow play penalty on him.

I still can't get over what a shit show this was, and I also can't get over the fact that Dustin Johnson with all his seeming demons was able to overcome it in spectacular fashion. It was just his time. And now that the lid is off, I expect we are going to see him pick off a handful of majors in the next 5-10 years.

I did think it was ridiculous to wait for the ruling - what was going to change? They had his statement, they had the video - make a decision. Much worse to have to play with that uncertainty in his head. He looked shaky on the next few shots after they told him but he pulled it together while everyone else was falling apart around him.

Thanks for running it again, Sleepy.

Congrats to Nj. Great pick of Lowry, and you made me feel guilty of abandoning my favorite golfer, Oosthuizen. I almost always have him on my team, but he hadn't been in his typically great form recently. I'll try not to make that mistake again at Troon.

Thanks for running it again, Sleepy.

Congrats to Nj. Great pick of Lowry, and you made me feel guilty of abandoning my favorite golfer, Oosthuizen. I almost always have him on my team, but he hadn't been in his typically great form recently. I'll try not to make that mistake again at Troon.

Thanks. I've got Louie in a separate pool for the British - hope he plays well for both of us

Back