• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2017 Atlanta Braves Thread: Acquired Brandon Phillips, Pitchers & Catchers rpt SOON

Braves reportedly interested in FA Jose Bautista (possibly @ 3rd base)

Looks like Braves are pursuing jersey cutter Chris Sale, hopefully he likes our throwbacks

Sounds like Albies & Newcomb would be part of Chicago's demand for Sale.

I would give up Albies, Newcomb, Mallex, & 2 of Wistler/Blair/Jenkins/Gant/Whalen/Weber/Perez. (Folty included only if necessary).

Sounds like Albies & Newcomb would be part of Chicago's demand for Sale.

I would give up Albies, Newcomb, Mallex, & 2 of Wistler/Blair/Jenkins/Gant/Whalen/Weber/Perez. (Folty included only if necessary).

I think I would be okay with this package. As much as I love Mallex, I don't think he's going to be anything better than a .280/.310 OBP guy. That means we can also stop speculating on Ender and keep him long term. Add Acuna into the future and I am completely fine with it. Newcomb has a ton of control issues for a super easy & repeatable motion. Only thing that would hurt would be Ozzie but that's gotta happen to get a guy like Sale.

Braves sign super utility man Sean Rodriguez to 2 yr/11 million contract. Really like this.

Braves trade RHP Rob Whalen and RHP Max Povse to Seattle in exchange for OF Alex Jackson, supposedly Seattle's top prospect entering this past season.

Just acquired Jaime Garcia. Haven't seen cost reported. When I saw the report we were in on Volquez until the very end I was pleased because it seemed clear we had done our due diligence and determined the Sale/Archer cost was too high.

So looking at Teheran, Colon, Folty, Dickey, Garcia opening day rotation.

Gant, Ellis, and Dykstra. Cost seems a little high but hopefully we get a health Garcia.

If we get an above-average Garcia (only 30 years old), I like this trade.

Dykstra has platoon player written all over him at his peak, limited power.
Gant is a solid 4/5 starter at his peak.
Ellis has the highest upside.

Yeah they dealt from meh depth when they were facing 40 man decisions anyway (like the Jackson trade). I still like Gant but Ellis went backwards last year.

If we get an above-average Garcia (only 30 years old), I like this trade.

Dykstra has platoon player written all over him at his peak, limited power.
Gant is a solid 4/5 starter at his peak.
Ellis has the highest upside.

Garcia can't stay healthy and this year when he finally did his numbers plummeted in his final 5 starts.

Haven't thought much of Garcia in like 5 years. I'm no sabermatrician, but looking at his numbers from 2016, I see he pitched 171 innings, which would have ranked 2nd on the Braves last year (and ahead of workhorse RA Dickey). Garcia posted the 2nd best ground ball rate among qualified SPs in all of MLB, which is consistent with his career stats -- he is an extreme GB guy, which is good. Weirdly, Garcia had the worst HR/FB rate in all of MLB (20%), which is atrocious and means he was extraordinarily unlucky. That number should improve next season, which would improve his ERA. Not a bad deal given that the Braves didn't give up anything very exciting, although he's only signed through next year, so not a ton of upside to the deal.

Reported Atlanta among teams who will receive revenue sharing in new CBA. Seems like a huge deal. More money and, if I understand correctly, would put us among teams who get more IFA money and less severe penalties for signing QO FAs.

Back