• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2017 College Basketball Coaching Carousel (Matta out at Ohio State)

Looks like Archie to IU. Good luck, interested to see if he can win anything there.

So Oklahoma State paid Eddie Fogler to run their search. They interviewed the three assistants on Underwood's staff, Doug Gottlieb, and James Dickey. Then they hired a guy that Fogler recruited when he was at Scar. Really got their money's worth out of old Eddie.

Maybe Underwood really was just desperate to get away from that AD. What a shit show.

I wonder if Ammaker stays at Harvard for the next few years or goes to a place like G'town hoping to replace K.

Things worked out well for Archie and State.

Kelsey on the other hand may have been screwed by Xavier's Elite Eight run.

Indiana was a better program before Knight than Georgetown was before JT Jr. That's inarguable, but it was also 45 years ago (and it doesn't appear Indiana was a top tier program then). Post-Knight / JT Jr, the programs have had a very similar level of success.

Georgetown is supposed to have great facilities, is in a great conference, and is in the middle of a basketball hotbed, with strong connections to the community. I don't buy that it's that much harder to win or recruit there than Indiana.

Two issues I see for Georgetown: 1) JTIII is supposed to have a huge buyout, could hinder their ability to pay a big name since they don't have P5 football revenue to help out. 2) JT Jr might sabotage the next guy.

Any program that plays its games off campus is immediately fighting an uphill battle. I fully respect Georgetown and think it's a good job but I don't think it's in the same tier as IU.

Thats a very good hire for Indiana. Archie would have been on the short list for every elite job in the country.

Any program that plays its games off campus is immediately fighting an uphill battle. I fully respect Georgetown and think it's a good job but I don't think it's in the same tier as IU.

Have you met donaldross?

Georgetown actually has an on-campus arena (McDonough Center) that seats about 2500. They routinely have more attendees than that, so they mostly use the Verizon Center in downtown DC. The Verizon has a dedicated Georgetown BB practice court.

Patrick Ewing, Jr, is currently DBO at Georgetown. Wonder if there are any anti-nepotism rules that would require him to be moved if his father gets the HC job.

Who was that Wake grad who was an assistant at Dayton a few years ago? He won some awards for recruiting if I remember correctly.

Anyone know if Indiana approached Mack? I would take hm over Miller. Mack is getting it done.

Good hire, I guess. I think Miller is a very good coach, but I don't know what he brings to the table that Crean didn't.

Wonder how long it will be until Alford gets fired at UCLA.

Who was that Wake grad who was an assistant at Dayton a few years ago? He won some awards for recruiting if I remember correctly.

You're thinking of Billy Schmidt. Graduated in '92. Now a quality control coach under Billy Donovan.

Good hire, I guess. I think Miller is a very good coach, but I don't know what he brings to the table that Crean didn't.

Wonder how long it will be until Alford gets fired at UCLA.

Alford will hang on at UCLA as long as he has Balls.

Miller is a good hire for IU. The Indiana fan base was divided. One segment felt that Crean should be retained. Another vocal segment, comprised of big $ boosters, pushed for a big name coach. A third segment (probably a majority) felt that a change was imminent, but wanted a young, accomplished coach with long term potential. Miller fits the profile.

Back